New Year's Day Ride/Scare

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
The weather was absolutely gorgeous here today. Had to be in the high 60's and the sun was shinin'. Couldn't spend an off day around the house with such nice weather in JANUARY so I called a few folks to try and get a group ride goin'. Since it was last minute everyone except my 6RR bud, Matt, had things goin' on and couldn't get loose.

I posted the meeting time, place, and our planned route on the local forum and we headed out. Nobody else from the forum made it out so we had it to ourselves. The dueling Ninjas...
wink.gif

We got in some good seat time at a sane pace and then headed out for a bite to eat. I didn't take but three pics because we rode more than we stopped, but here's what I ended up with...

The dueling ninjas ready to head out. Look at that gorgeous sky! I was in short sleeves today! (under my jacket of course)
biggrin.gif

38139180.jpg

Our rides restin' at the water/pee stop at the halfway point of the ride...

38139181.jpg

We met up with a couple of cool older guys at the stop. One was on some sort of Harley, the other on a BMW. The older of the two was on the BMW. His tires looked like he enjoys some twisty action on that thing.
wink.gif

38139182.jpg

We were joined by an unknown younger dude on a yellow gixxer6 for a while. It was slammed and had a little bling goin' on. He seemed cool enough. We also had a sweet blue w/flames R6 join us on the way home. Tons of bikes out today. The perfect weather was bein' enjoyed by all... Man, I wish the weather stayed just like today all year... or just on all my off days would be fine.
wink.gif

Oh, about that slowin' down thing... I lucked out today. Well, I'll start with yesterday since I used up some luck (or grace?) then, too. Yesterday out of the hundreds, if not more than a thousand corners we hit I overcooked one left hander and ran really wide. I stayed on the road by lookin' through the turn and just leanin' the crap out of it. I say I used up some luck because I was lucky that I didn't overcook it to the point that just slammin' it over and lookin' through it wouldn't get me through it. I had scrubbed off some speed before slammin' it over at the last minute. If I hadn't done that I'm not sure the tires would have held the corner bein' kinda cold out and all. Strike one...

Ok, today bein' a holiday and knowin' that LE would be out in force we kept things to a very sane pace and just enjoyed the scenery, seat time, and fellowship with other riders at the stop. After we split up to head home though I still had about an hour of that gorgeous daylight left and couldn't waste it so I took some backroads near my house that I haven't been on in a while. Since I know these roads are rarely, if ever patrolled I picked up the pace a little, but only in the corners.

I ended up on a road that I've been through several times but I haven't been on it since before I sold Train. I was goin' through it and thought I remembered a straight after this corner I was in (it crests a hill so I couldn't see past the hill). Well, I came off of the corner on throttle, crested the hill, and Oh Shid!!! A HARD left hander!!!
eek2.gif
I had it stood up straight so I grabbed a handful of brakes and started scrubbin' off all the speed I could. The whole time I'm tellin' myself, "Look through the corner and LEAN!!!". I didn't listen to myself... I target fixated on the dang road shoulder and drove straight off the road... out into a smooth grassy field (thank you again for that field, God!
drooling3.gif
).

Thankfully I kept it up on two. No damage and no injuries other than the sprained anus muscle from grippin' the seat with my arse, but if there had been a fence, ditch, whatever, I would've been screwed!
drooling3.gif
Strike two...

The rest of the way home I'm thinkin' over and over... WAKE UP CALL, CHRIS... WAKE UP CALL... SLOW YER BUTT DOWN MAN!!!

I was proud yesterday when I was able to look through the corner, lean, and pull it out. Even though it was a screw up I was glad that I kept my head and looked where I wanted to go even though I wasn't sure I was gonna end up there. Today, I'm still scratchin' my head wonderin' why I couldn't look where I wanted to go even though the only thought goin' through my head at the time was "Look through the turn and lean!". I wasn't thinkin' I was gonna go off roadin' at all. I had scrubbed off enough speed to make the corner and fully intended to make it this time, unlike yesterday when I wasn't sure. I just couldn't pull my danged eyes off of that shoulder.

Needless to say, my confidence took a hit on this one. I putted on home, still hittin' a few more roads, but at a Harley pace. It's all I've been able to think about all evening. In my head I just keep hearin' "wake up call"... So, I'm gonna really slow my tail down and refocus on the basics for a while. I think I've been puttin' so much into bein' faster that I've somewhat slacked on gettin' smoother and more controlled.

I'm just sooo thankful that I was given a field to run off onto instead of somethin' a lot less forgiving. It could have been ugly, but out of grace it wasn't. Since I got into this mess by not listenin' to myself sayin' "Look through and lean!" I think I'll pay attention to myself now sayin' "Wake up and slow yer butt down!". I don't want to see strike three come across the plate any time soon.
down.gif

Anyway, I hope everyone else had a safe and happy New Year's Day. I wish you all could have had the weather I had to ride in. Better yet, I wish most of you could have been here to ride with me today. Man, I can't wait for spring. Prolly won't be many days like today for a while...
drooling3.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104633336 -->

wink.gif

wink.gif

drooling3.gif

drooling3.gif

Glad your okay - that fixation thing sucks - I did it last year and damn im fly'in threw the air as my busa did a cork screw up the hill side @ 50+mph- I was able to ride to putt home but I fudged up my shoulder and $6000+ damaged to my bike.

Fixation-stay focused grasshopper

mad.gif
BAD Bullet! Back to your Room...
mad.gif

On the other hand, I rode a Big ole' Cruizer last night... With the Mrs. and I really liked it... So We all make mistakes man...
smile.gif

mad.gif

Glad your okay - that fixation thing sucks - I did it last year and damn im fly'in threw the air as my busa did a cork screw up the hill side @ 50+mph- I was able to ride to putt home but I fudged up my shoulder and $6000+ damaged to my bike.

Sorry you didn't come out as well as I did.
sad.gif

sad.gif
Thank's

The old saying goes "There are those that have and those that will"

sad.gif
Thank's

The old saying goes "There are those that have and those that will"
Yeah, well, I've busted it up on dirt bikes and four wheelers... I'm perfectly ok with countin' those as me having been down and lettin' it go at that.
biggrin.gif

Ya know, I had to wonder what went through the mind of the old guy on his tractor in that field. I never looked directly at him but I noticed that he stopped the tractor and watched me until I stopped in his field, rode back onto the roadway, and rode off. I bet he though I was done for.
biggrin.gif
I went prolly 100+ feet into the field. Not because I was goin' that fast, but becase it was smooth so I just babied the brakes so as not to lock a wheel up and slide on the grass. There was nothin' to hit and I was already off road so there was no reason to over brake and bust my butt.
wink.gif
I had already done everything but a frickin' stoppie back on the roadway. At least I still had it together enough to know not to keep the brakes nailed on the grass.
drooling3.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104635200 -->

Visual Fixation is a mother. We are all thankful you pulled this one off. I belive its the bikes way of saying, "Hey dont forget I can chew you up a spit you out". Always keep that little bit of fear in you when you ride. The min. you lose it, turn that key off and wait. Like you said you assumed the road was going one way and when you crested it went another. Lost that fear and assumed you knew it, im assuming. Well man, im just glad your hear to tell us about it. Like they said before, Buy a lottery ticket, ill chip in my .50 on that one.
biggrin.gif

Visual Fixation is a mother. We are all thankful you pulled this one off. I belive its the bikes way of saying, "Hey dont forget I can chew you up a spit you out". Always keep that little bit of fear in you when you ride. The min. you lose it, turn that key off and wait. Like you said you assumed the road was going one way and when you crested it went another. Lost that fear and assumed you knew it, im assuming. Well man, im just glad your hear to tell us about it. Like they said before, Buy a lottery ticket, ill chip in my .50 on that one.
biggrin.gif
Well, I didn't actually lose my healthy fear, or more specifically RESPECT for the hazards of street ridin'. You're right in assuming that I assumed I knew the road. I knew there was a daisy of a corner on it but I had already been around one decent one and was thinkin' that was it. I was thinkin' the rest of the road was just sweepers, which it was after the corner I exited the roadway from. I just got ahead of myself mentally on the road I was on...

Normally I tend to err on the side of bein' overly cautious when I can't see where the road goes. In this case I just had my head up my fanny and assumed, which one should never do while riding... and I know that. That's why I'm still beatin' myself up over this.
drooling3.gif
Technically, even if there had been a straight on the other side of the hill who's to say the farmer wasn't in the middle of the road on that tractor. It was STUPID to cook over that hillcrest without knowin' what was on the other side, plain and simple.
mad.gif

Oh well, lesson learned. At least it wasn't an expensive one this time.
biggrin.gif
Also, as ashamed as I am to admit to doin' somethin' that boneheaded, I too am glad I am able to tell it. Maybe it will make the next guy think about things before he cooks over a hillcrest or around a corner without knowin' what's gonna be on the other side. If it makes one person think about that I guess it's worth the embarassment.
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104637993 -->

biggrin.gif

Glad to hear that you came out pretty good in the end.....be safe!
Thanks.
beerchug.gif
I think it'll be pretty easy to putt around for a while now. I think I'm gonna have to rebuild some of my confidence... Maybe I had a little too much confidence anyway?
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104639801 -->

Back