New Toy

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I bought this Smith & Wesson Tactical R8 in 357M at a pawn shop (slightly used). It is my first revolver and my main reason for buying it was because it is cool. It was slightly used but apparently whoever bought it new didn't put too many rounds through it. The magnums have quite a kick but this is a very heavy gun so the overall shooting experience is manageable and you can keep it on target easily. I would say after about 50 rounds it's one of my favorite handguns, although I still seem to gravitate to the Glock, and would do so in a pinch. The trigger is nice. It is super light in single-action (maybe too light) and very controllable in double-action. I find it most accurate for me when I pull through the cocking action then confirm aim and a quick squeeze and the round is off. The accuracy was really good, surprisingly so at 25 yards.

Lately, I have been focused on low rate of fire stuff: lever rifles and this revolver. Not sure if the bad press ARs are getting or my nostalgic love for all things Buffalo Soldiers are to blame. Somehow the more crazy the world gets the more I want to hop on my horse and ride off into the sunset. Frankly, I do find these guns are more about the fun of shooting than the efficiency of the kill. There is something super satisfying about cycling the lever and having that spent shell fly away; or dumping the rounds from a revolver that is really fun. They even smell different than the autos, or maybe that is the 357 rounds? Anyway, the revolver really spits a lot of stuff out of the gun when you fire it. Hold this gun like an auto and you will get burns on the hands!

So is this an ugly gun? Yeah, it is. I looked at the Colts (Python, OMG) and other S&W's and they make some really sexy revolvers! But I love the utilitarian look of the R8, and I sort of like the tactical add-ons, it's like accessorizing your Busa. Looking at adding a red dot and flashlight.

230816 R8 01.jpg

There's something to be said for the "old school" guns and shooting them...

A good friend of mine who used to be our weapon's technician for our unit has got into muzzle loaders for the same reason, the fun of shooting...

He isn't into all the modern black powder guns but the old ones with a ram rod or pistols that you had to put bear grease over the shot so they wouldn't cross fire....

That’s a super nice gun. With the rail up top I’d for sure put a microdot on it.
Love revos. Like you I find I enjoy shooting more vintage things. Shooting ARs gets boring quick unless I’m in a class. The further I go back the more I enjoy the older stuff. Been hooked on Garands the last few years.

There's something to be said for the "old school" guns and shooting them...

A good friend of mine who used to be our weapon's technician for our unit has got into muzzle loaders for the same reason, the fun of shooting...

He isn't into all the modern black powder guns but the old ones with a ram rod or pistols that you had to put bear grease over the shot so they wouldn't cross fire....
I do enjoy shooting my smokepole too! The delayed ignition really tests one’s abilities to hold it still.

Because hand guns are such a pain to own here, I got rid of mine and went to Umarex CO2 powered ones, one is a pellet SAA Colt and the other is a BB 911...

They are really fun (and inexpensive) to shoot and I have an indoor range set up in my garage and made a standing target for the back yard...each of them will rip a pop can full of water apart so that's kind of fun....

I picked up an old style western holster for the SAA and practice quick draws with it....it didn't take long to find out I need a lot more practice....

That’s a super nice gun. With the rail up top I’d for sure put a microdot on it.
Love revos. Like you I find I enjoy shooting more vintage things. Shooting ARs gets boring quick unless I’m in a class. The further I go back the more I enjoy the older stuff. Been hooked on Garands the last few years.
I haven't shot an old rifle like the Gerand but would love to. There is a shop here with all the old guns, like the Civil War to WWII. Some work and some are collector stuff. The range here only has Auto hand guns and ARs for rent.

Because hand guns are such a pain to own here, I got rid of mine and went to Umarex CO2 powered ones, one is a pellet SAA Colt and the other is a BB 911...

They are really fun (and inexpensive) to shoot and I have an indoor range set up in my garage and made a standing target for the back yard...each of them will rip a pop can full of water apart so that's kind of fun....

I picked up an old style western holster for the SAA and practice quick draws with it....it didn't take long to find out I need a lot more practice....
Did I ever ask you what your favorite gun was? What is your favorite in a pinch and just having fun?

Did I ever ask you what your favorite gun was? What is your favorite in a pinch and just having fun?
Honestly I can't recall....

I'm not sure I have a favorite as they were mostly tools for me......I carried a few....and have used them in anger.

A long time ago I had a few in my collection but like a fool got rid or gave them away to family...

My favorite if for nothing other than nostalgia was the Marlin .22 lever I had as a kid...I shot many a groundhog with that thing...

We have no concealed/open carry or castle or stand your ground laws so the idea of needing a weapon in a pinch is irrelevant really...

The most fun I have is with my pellet guns.....I don't need to bundle them up to go to the range, I can plink in my yard and they are inexpensive and realistic.....so much so, the old tactical shooting club I once was part of is thinking of reverting to them so it can stay alive. I have a cool Berretta CX4 Storm in .177 which has a 30 round rotary magazine and 650 ft/lbs muzzle velocity....I also have one chambered in 9mm...from a distance, they are hard to tell apart but the 9mm version is now banned here which means I basically can own it as long as it stays in my home and never goes outside it.

My favorite has always been my Belgian FN 40 caliber high power. Probably only due to its heritage. Not many made, they came in 40 cal for a short while and then were no longer made.

FN.jpg

The one we have most fun with is a Colt Trooper 357 Magnum. I have a bunch of bullet molds including the 357. 125 grain. So we cast wax bullets, load them in the case with only a primer and shoot targets in the living room. The most fun is when I have a visitor who does not know the gun is loaded with a wax bullet and I hang a target in the living room and tell him to aim and pull the trigger. LOL.

Honestly I can't recall....

I'm not sure I have a favorite as they were mostly tools for me......I carried a few....and have used them in anger.

A long time ago I had a few in my collection but like a fool got rid or gave them away to family...

My favorite if for nothing other than nostalgia was the Marlin .22 lever I had as a kid...I shot many a groundhog with that thing...

We have no concealed/open carry or castle or stand your ground laws so the idea of needing a weapon in a pinch is irrelevant really...

The most fun I have is with my pellet guns.....I don't need to bundle them up to go to the range, I can plink in my yard and they are inexpensive and realistic.....so much so, the old tactical shooting club I once was part of is thinking of reverting to them so it can stay alive. I have a cool Berretta CX4 Storm in .177 which has a 30 round rotary magazine and 650 ft/lbs muzzle velocity....I also have one chambered in 9mm...from a distance, they are hard to tell apart but the 9mm version is now banned here which means I basically can own it as long as it stays in my home and never goes outside it.
An Airgun with 650ft lbs of energy? Care to check that?

In that case you need to bump those numbers up. I have an RWS pellet rifle that pushes 1100fps. It’s actually louder than my suppressed .22.
Darn, you are just 25fps short, to makes some more noise as that pellet goes through the sound barrier.

I have a little shooting range on my property, but don't want to disturb the neighbors with too much noise. I usually use subsonic in my 22 around 830fps.

In that case you need to bump those numbers up. I have an RWS pellet rifle that pushes 1100fps. It’s actually louder than my suppressed .22.
Like all things here, even our air powered guns are restricted....

We can get air guns with the same FPS as your but they are designated a firearm and have all the same rules as one.

As it is only used for plinking and such, a high FPS means little to me.

J frame 3" @ 15 yards .357 heavy loads . Makes people look at the indoor range and pushes the paper away . Great conceal carry , and accurate . With .38 rounds start putting them through same hole .

20221231_123509.jpg

20230205_132352.jpg

20220908_181945.jpg

Back