new to me 1999

Make sure to carefully inspect the rubber brake lines. If the bike has been generally sitting for 12 years, the rubber may decay depending on how it was stored, temps, sun, etc.

Hi guys sorry to get back so late but after a year of ownership the bike has ran and handled wonderfully. I have done some good replacements parts all stock Suzuki stuff that has seemingly kept the old bird alive or brought it back to life for that matter maybe not everything I should have but a lot it needed.But there is a problem how big or how small not sure but it deff. to the fun out of the ride. I noticed about a week ago that the bike started a little funny, when it usually starts on the first or second turnover it took a third time. then when I went to go on my normal ride it was notchy or should I say hesitant even in first just putting around.On the highway its most noticeable,4th gear was my favorite for highway use it was like no other machine easily climing to 10,000rpm's and shooting up to 165mph now all that's gone, when I rode the other day the bike in 4th gear barely climbed to 8,500 rpm's and wouldn't go any faster than 125 as I shifted into 5th the bike went to maybe 130mph and 6th was a hesitant climb to barely 140 no faster and the throttle was pegged. I don't normally do these speeds but I wanted to try and clear the motor out or something, I have never opend the fuel system cause a friend kept telling me to flush the tank and run the bike, as I did even though it was against my gut feeling. this bike had sat for years and the tank had some rust that you could see from where you fill the gas but if you look further down it looked clean. I flushed the tank several times and have been riding problem free since I got the bike road worthy I am scared to start the bike until I check the fuel system id like to put new injectors and fuel pump even though its quite costly just for peace of mind not even sure If that's the problem. I have herd from people online saying it could have jumped timing. but from the feeling of the bike seems more fuel problem or im hoping anyway Saturday I will lift the tank and check the fuel lines for kinks or anything noticeable right away I plan on checking the injectors and the TB's for old hose cracks or leaks.If anyone has any idea's or opinions on what could cause this type of problems lmk I apreaciate any response or feedback I get and PS the only gear it will get to 10,000 rpm's is first and second and if I crank down on the throttle in first or second and let the bike build to 10,000rpm's and let off the throttle the bike seems to backfire a little bit wich I never quite herd before thanks:thumbsup:

From what I've read throughout the years, fuel filter comes to mind. I don't know the specifics to how you swap it out but do a search for it and there are a few good DIY jobs on it.

I would check the fuel filter too, and I had my injectors sonic cleaned at a dealer, and they were plugged pretty good and had the same symptoms as your bike. Like new after cleaning!:thumbsup:

Ok appreciate the response:bowdown:thanks.I took the tank of and was able to remove the line that seemed soft and kinked, I will order new lines after I pull the fuel pump out and check the statis of the filters. from the tank I pulled the petcock out and it was the color of rust.I then pulled the fuel sending unit drained the tank and got a bunch of little rust particles from it. I am going to let it dry and flush a couple of more times but im not sure if I should use that tank again, even though it be nice to keep seeing how it the original from the bike.Im goina keep my finger crossed on hoping I don't have to replace the pump.

You just spent a thousand dollars buying the fastest production bike in the world, even thought it's 15 years old :beerchug:

Back