New sprocket

JWH369

Registered
Just need a little info here. I've never changed out my sprocket on any bike I've owned, but I'm wanting to go up 2 teeth in the rear sprocket on my 08 Busa. Will I need a new chain, or will my stock chain work? I know its best to go ahead and buy a good quality chain, but with a sprocket being less than $100, and new chain being almost $300....you can see my dilema.

I believe you will need a new chain
beerchug.gif

They recommend a new chain if you have over 500 miles on existing chain when upgrading to a new rear sprocket (just due to different wear of old sprocket vs. a new one), how many miles does your '08 have?

Check the chain for wear per the manual. If it is still good, you will be fine putting on a new rear sprocket.

You are also being quoted WAY too much for a chain. (and sprocket should be less than $50 for a steel one)

You should be fine with your old chain, as long as it doesn't have more than 2,000miles. Anymore than that, I'd get a new chain and a new front sprocket.

You should be fine with your old chain, as long as it doesn't have more than 2,000miles.  Anymore than that, I'd get a new chain and a new front sprocket.
Charles,

Help me out here. What does 2000 miles have to do with it? I can destroy an OEM chain in 1000 miles. My wife might put 10,000 miles on hers and it will have less wear than most have at 2000. Either his chain is within service limits or it is not.

Rick

You should be fine with your old chain, as long as it doesn't have more than 2,000miles. Anymore than that, I'd get a new chain and a new front sprocket.
Charles,

Help me out here. What does 2000 miles have to do with it? I can destroy an OEM chain in 1000 miles. My wife might put 10,000 miles on hers and it will have less wear than most have at 2000. Either his chain is within service limits or it is not.

Rick
I guess I was thinking 2000miles the way I ride. I get over 20,000miles out of my chains. But I do take care of them.

So I guess I'm saying that if the chain has 90% of its life left, no need to replace it. Even with the accelerated wear of using a different sprocket.

I have a little over 1100 miles on it right now. And I've regularly cleaned and lubed my chain. As far as pricing goes, I'm looking at high quality chains which is why they are so pricey. Plus, I'm not sure whether I want to go with a Vortex sprocket, or a Sidewinder. Sidewinders come with a lifetime guarantee if you use their chain as well. Any opinions guys?

Geez, I don't know.  I was taught you should change both sprockets and chain at the same time.  Have done it that way for 40 years.

Put on a new 43t sprocket at 8000 miles...no problems. BTW, I take very good care of my chain.

But when you would need new chain you'll have to buy a new sprocket again.
I would of done it all in one shot, and then you don't have to worry about it for a long time.
I think it worth extra 2-300 more!
all_coholic.gif

Back