New rider needs help.

Anything over a 750 is going to be dangerous.

There are pro's and cons about a Busa as a first bike.

My position used to be NO WAY!! NOT A BUSA AS A FIRST BIKE.

But then I started to actually think about it and not just react.

Litre bikes will pull just as hard as the Busa, as a matter of fact litre bikes will usually keep up with a Busa until the higher speeds, then the Busa really shines and will start to pull away.

I think about 150 (guessing) is about when the Busa will start to pull a litre

So with that in mind, what do we have? We have a litre bike that is lighter, shorter and way more prone to accidentally wheeling than a Busa

Being that the Busa is running about 150 pounds heavier than a litre bike, while the front end will come up, it wont do it as easily as the Busa.

So, for anything under 150 I feel on a Busa a person is less likely to accidentally loop the bike.

Ok, what about higher speeds. The Busa is dangerous because it can go much more faster than a litre bike.

Well. Pretty much anything over 10 mph can kill you. But when you get up to the tripled digits I think it is less of a mater of how fast you are going and more of a matter if you are going to hit something.

If you come off a bike at 200mph and hit a tree. You are dead

If you come off a bike at 100mph and hit a tree, guess what? You are still dead

Difference between a lighter bike and the Busa is the Busa is heavier and is more aerodynamic and more stable at high speeds

There are more opportunities to get squirrelly on a litre bike than there are to get squirrelly on a Busa (in my opinion all things considered).

Where do I stand now? To be honest I still have not drawn a conclusion for myself yet. But I can say I am not totally against a new rider getting a busa as I used to.

Now if you are deciding between a Busa and say a 500cc motorcycle, then yes, start on the 500cc motorcycle. But if someone is going to get a 750cc or more motorcycle for their first bike. I think he maturity factor comes into play more so than the type of bike, because like I said, they will all kill you and they will all kill you fast

There's nothing wrong with getting a busa as a first bike if you can afford it WHEN you drop it. But don't even think about riding the busa until you've ridden something else on the street or have taken the MSF course. And we don't know you... only you know you.

... and you say you're mature and going to ride the busa easy? Yeah, most say that! When you get on the busa and start to experience the power, you'll be topping 140 on up... and will be wanting to go even faster!

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

I'm very happy that you wanted to hear from us before you made your decision.

My only concern is your well being; especially knowing that you are married w/ a kid. (Insurance can always pay for your bike).

I would suggest you to start off with a 600 or 750; which I believe you will enjoy a lot more for the time being.

On the other hand you may hate riding with a Busa - with hesitations, worries and fear in your mind while riding. Which ultimately defeats the purpose of getting on two wheels and enjoying the day and escaping from the negativity and the stress of this life.

God forbid, if something happens to you or your bike, not only you may regret your actions, even worse, you will hear a lot of B.S. from your wife.

Overall, get a 600 or 750 and next season (if you are not still satisfied and still looking for a faster bike) then go ahead and trade it in for a Busa.

No matter what your decision will be, I respect with all my heart and I wish you safe and happy rides my friend.

If the choices are Busa or GIXER, buy the Busa. I do not recommend any type of sport bike as a first bike. Lets put aside the street experience for a moment, as the Busa is a very dosile, well behaved bike if you can resist the urge to rev it past 6,000 RPM.

Sport bike plastics are expensive to replace when you drop it in the garage, or at a stop sign that's on a grade, etc. Insurance is much more expensive on a sport bike if you have less than 1 year street experience, regardless of your age.

I recommend buying a naked SV 600 or 1000 to cut your teeth on. You won't immediately out grow it. You won't have big repair bills for the 0 mph drop. And the insurance companies classify them as standard motorcycles. In a year, upgrade to the Busa. If you buy the SV used, you shouldn't lose any money after riding it for a year.

Just my $0.02, you asked for it
smile.gif

Ive only ridden bikes for 16 yrs so take this with a grain of salt. any bike can get you in trouble faster than the human mind can think of ways to get out of it.These days a any modern 4 cyl sportbike is rediculously fast , Starting on a true sport bike is dangerous. Pick up a 2 cylinder sv650 or a gs500 for less than a grand and ride it for season , it wont hurt the savings for a bigger bike. The road time is invalueable.
the busa(or any newer 600+cc bike) can be extremely sure footed when handled properly. And its scary as hell if not feared and respected. If you go for it PLEASE be CAREFULL.

Well Im 17 and very mature for my age! I have always been scared to death of motorcycles but have always had a love for them! I got my busa about 3 weeks ago as my first bike! I dropped it the 1st day I rode it because that was the 1st bike Ive ever rode! Ive been doing okay since then! Im still scared to death of it but I feel comfortable on it. I havent got over 5k rpms or 80 mph. I loved the way the bike looked and wanted it! Im not worried about the speed or nething I just wanted it to cruise on! My dad hasnt let me out on it by myself so I have to ride w/ him and his friends but I respect him for this because I dont need to just let lose on a 10 sec bike that is faster then anything Ive ever been close to!

Well sry for the long post but I figured yall should know about my story or w/e!

I bought a 2002 SV650S last year after taking the basic MSF course and learned a lot. I dropped the bike twice, once on some gravel and once after an unintentional stoppy
smile.gif
I bought a 'busa because I thought I was ready. I'll pick it up as soon as the ice clears (hopefully next week). I'll let everyone know if I made the right choice. I've told a buddy to post if I didn't
smile.gif

I used to fly rc helicopters. From them I learned to start slow and stable. The high end gear expects you to know what you are doing because it will do what it is told, right or wrong. And it is more expensive to repair. With a bike, it could take your life.

It's tough to know what's right if you have no experience so always err on the side of caution. I'm selling my SV and expect to get 90% of my money back. Not a bad return for an excellent education.

good luck and take care.

Chuck

smile.gif

Rif, the fact that you have concerns about the Busa tells me your a mature rider. I wouldn't recommend the Busa right off but maybe after a year of street riding. If you decide to get one BE CAREFUL! And don't show off, it'll bite you back for sure.
SHOCKED.gif

buy a used bike and ride it for a few months, get some experience on the used bike. Sell the used bikem get your money back, go buy something else.

Look at it like this, would you have bought you a 400HP Vette at the age of 10?

Get some riding time under your belt.

If for no one else, for your kid.

(Big Bo @ Apr. 06 2007,16:13) buy a used bike and ride it for a few months, get some experience on the used bike. Sell the used bikem get your money back, go buy something else.

400hp Vette at the age of 10!? That's a little dramatized isn't it? He's 28 for goodness sake!
laugh.gif

If you're grown up about what you do when riding, i don't think there is any reason you couldn't handle the busa! But when the little guy on your right shoulder,
firedevil.gif
say's, "cranker up to about 150, you'll be fine!" I would suggest you think about your family and what you've got at stake.

Yes, for those who know me, i'm 16, but i've ridden dirt for a long time! I also do a TON of bike research and reading.

But when the time come's for me to get a bike, i'm planning on getting the GSXR1000 or the busa. I feel that i'm grown up enough to handle either one. Riding a bike is not how fast you go in a straight line, "a 4yr. old could twist a throttle as fast as ANY adult." But it take's a TRUE rider to actually handle the bike well and to have the COMMON SENSE to ride within and KNOW HIS LIMITS!

So my opinion is... "get what you want bro, just treat her with respect and don't be stupid on her, and she'll treat YOU with respect."

Just remember, "DON'T RIDE ANY FASTER THAN YOUR GUARDIAN ANGEL CAN FLY!"

Whatever you're decision bro, welcome to the org. and be sure to stay even if you don't get a busa!

Be safe and ride smart man!
beerchug.gif

(vaportrail @ Apr. 04 2007,17:16) I bought a 2002 SV650S last year after taking the basic MSF course and learned a lot. I dropped the bike twice, once on some gravel and once after an unintentional stoppy
smile.gif
I bought a 'busa because I thought I was ready. I'll pick it up as soon as the ice clears (hopefully next week). I'll let everyone know if I made the right choice. I've told a buddy to post if I  didn't
smile.gif

I used to fly rc helicopters. From them I learned to start slow and stable. The high end gear expects you to know what you are doing because it will do what it is told, right or wrong. And it is more expensive to repair. With a bike, it could take your life.

It's tough to know what's right if you have no experience so always err on the side of caution. I'm selling my SV and expect to get 90% of my money back. Not a bad return for an excellent education.

good luck and take care.

Chuck
VERY well said bro!
beerchug.gif

smile.gif

I 43 been riding since I was 5.Didn't own a bike for 19 years cause it was more important to raise the kids.Back to riding,it wasn't on the busa.a 600-fz1-busa.The 600's today are wicked fast,don't let no one kid ya,but alot easier to manuver.I think you would be a better rider if you started on something smaller to get the hang of it.JMO
Goodluck in your decision.

(motogp08 @ Apr. 06 2007,16:48)
(Big Bo @ Apr. 06 2007,16:13) buy a used bike and ride it for a few months, get some experience on the used bike. Sell the used bikem get your money back, go buy something else.

400hp Vette at the age of 10!? That's a little dramatized isn't it? He's 28 for goodness sake!
laugh.gif

If you're grown up about what you do when riding, i don't think there is any reason you couldn't handle the busa! But when the little guy on your right shoulder,  
firedevil.gif
say's, "cranker up to about 150, you'll be fine!" I would suggest you think about your family and what you've got at stake.

Yes, for those who know me, i'm 16, but i've ridden dirt for a long time! I also do a TON of bike research and reading.

But when the time come's for me to get a bike, i'm planning on getting the GSXR1000 or the busa. I feel that i'm grown up enough to handle either one. Riding a bike is not how fast you go in a straight line, "a 4yr. old could twist a throttle as fast as ANY adult." But it take's a TRUE rider to actually handle the bike well and to have the COMMON SENSE to ride within and KNOW HIS LIMITS!

So my opinion is... "get what you want bro, just treat her with respect and don't be stupid on her, and she'll treat YOU with respect."

Just remember, "DON'T RIDE ANY FASTER THAN YOUR GUARDIAN ANGEL CAN FLY!"

Whatever you're decision bro, welcome to the org. and be sure to stay even if you don't get a busa!

Be safe and ride smart man!
beerchug.gif
16 huh. And read.

I`m 51.

I work with professionals that have college degrees, they read too, some are fresh out of college. And they tell me how to do my job
smile.gif
, because that is what he book says. I just
biggrin.gif
and do my job.

Good luck
super.gif

Back