New Q2's.. so when go i open them up?

Deno_n_Philly

Registered
I just got my new Q2's put on today.. again.. thanks for the hook up with rider discount. my question is how many miles do i put on them until it is ok to open them up? turns, speed...etc... The guy at the shop told me there is some grease on them so becareful at first. Someone else told me not until 400 miles.. so someone please help..

By the way.. WOW, already they are gripping better then my stock ones ever did.. they feel fantastic....

Releasing agent, but supposedly they don't use it anymore, anyhow about 100 Miles and take it easy until you know they'll hook up. You still need to warm cold tires and road temps are something to think about as well. Best of luck.

150-200 miles...with lots of turns...don't just jump on the HWY and think you got them scuffed in good.

Or I can take your bike to the track...4 or 5 laps out to gum them up pretty good. :thumbsup:
Posted via Mobile Device

I just got my new Q2's put on today.. again.. thanks for the hook up with rider discount. my question is how many miles do i put on them until it is ok to open them up? turns, speed...etc... The guy at the shop told me there is some grease on them so becareful at first. Someone else told me not until 400 miles.. so someone please help..

By the way.. WOW, already they are gripping better then my stock ones ever did.. they feel fantastic....

150-200 miles...with lots of turns...don't just jump on the HWY and think you got them scuffed in good.

Or I can take your bike to the track...4 or 5 laps out to gum them up pretty good. :thumbsup:
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't do it :whistle:

You guys suck.. I cant do anything like you guys. Its still cold back east too.. ok.. so a couple hundred and take it slow until they heat up ... got ya..

I got a bike ride tomorrow with a group of people from Meetup.com tomorrow... should be an amazing day to ride...

Those old outdated antics of breaking in a dunlop tire has now become wives tales.

Teflon tire molds are now used by every tire manufacturer that I know of other than Shinko. The need for breaking in a new tire was due to the mold release used a few years ago before teflon coating became the norm. There is still a need to properly heat the tire but no need to give it the old 100 mile break in to remove the mold release.

I have taken not one, not two, but stacks of tires including your Q2's straight from the tire machine to the track and never shown them any slack from the second lap on.

Put your Q2's on, heat them up and ride without worry! :beerchug:

How do you heat up a motorcycle tire.. how long does it usually take when you ride?
Hayabusa4life.. it seems there are only 3 ppl on here from philadelphia... thats y...lol...
just dont know how i know when the tire are ready to go....

It's one of those things that you don't fully understand till you f it up...

You heat up a tire by accelerating and braking. More so braking. Honestly I don't think my tires ever really get "warm" on the street, not like at the track. On the track I do 2 or 3 laps and I know there good to go.

Once it looks like you've used most of your tire, or what ever is usual for you, the tire is generaly good to go. For me thats when there is at most 1-2mm of chicken strip left. For some guys it may be 1 inch of chicken strip or none.

Unless your comming off tire warmers it's always a good idea to ride a few miles slowly increasing your pace before really getting on your tire regardless if your on the street or track.

I'm about 20 miles south from you. I went out last week and it was about 25 degrees on the way home, pretty cold. What psi are you running ? You might want to run a little lower in the cold (well that's what I was told anyway). I'm still REAL careful when it's COLD out, nothing like having your back break loose when you don't want it to.

Releasing agent, but supposedly they don't use it anymore.

Those old outdated antics of breaking in a dunlop tire has now become wives tales.

Teflon tire molds are now used by every tire manufacturer that I know of other than Shinko. The need for breaking in a new tire was due to the mold release used a few years ago before teflon coating became the norm. There is still a need to properly heat the tire but no need to give it the old 100 mile break in to remove the mold release.

My tires are still coming to me with slick stuff on them and they will break lose pretty easy coming off the drive :dunno:

Take it easy until you're comfy with the grip.

I got my set in yesterday! Great service! Great price! Now I got to get them on soon! Looked at my tires today and the rears are at the wear marks. Look forward to seeing how they feel on the busa. Bye bye pilot pures!

I have taken not one, not two, but stacks of tires including your Q2's straight from the tire machine to the track and never shown them any slack from the second lap on.

Put your Q2's on, heat them up and ride without worry! :beerchug:

Actually tuf, Dunlop recommends a 100 mile run in, just like shinko...

Though i believe your correct about the releasing agent part...

I think dunlops worry is more in regards to miss matched sets (used front new rear)... but dont know for sure... i just recall they had a 100 mile run in from when i looked it up forever ago...

I got my set in yesterday! Great service! Great price! Now I got to get them on soon! Looked at my tires today and the rears are at the wear marks. Look forward to seeing how they feel on the busa. Bye bye pilot pures!

How did you like the Pures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it wasnt a bad tire.... But it did things I didnt like compared to the bt016's and the bt002's. For me they lacked feel and squirmed a lot when you start pushing it. I had the front end slide on me coming out of a corner at 110 mph. Under steer like a car! Neve had that happen before with the other tires. For general riding they were ok.. Wet weather they suck! Spun it more then once and I was being gentle on the gas. Would I buy them again... Probably not for the way I like to ride the busa. I did love the bt002's on the busa. I could really ride the snot of the bike and still had confidence that the tires could do more. The Q2's on my 09 1k gave me that same feel and confidence of the bt002's. Hope they do the same on the busa! I have a feeling they will after chasing Macon454 on his busa last year at the spring bash. I got to see how they did up close and personal with a very fast and skilled rider!

Back