New Grips - Driven D3's - Thoughts?

I tried the brake parts cleaner trick with rubber/alum grips and it didn't work. Dish soap is what did it for me and the grips haven't moved in about 25000 miles. It was really hard even with dish soap. I remember putting a large axle nut socket over the end of the grip to tap it in the last few mm. Throttle side, forget it--never did get the grip to go over both go over both of the ribs on the Kawi throttle tube. Used a black Sharpie to color the grey tube and no problem.

Think I saw Dave Moss use aerosol brake parts cleaner with the straw attachment on the valve. Stick the straw between the grip and the bar and it blows the grip up like a ballon. ...at least it's supposed to. Had no luck with that either.

The aluminum won't expand like rubber and that is the difficulty in installing these. The ones I used were Chinese knockoffs and they might have been extra tight. I'm sure I will just cut the aluminum off with a dremmel if I remove them some day. They ain't ever sliding off even if the rubber gets soft.

This was where I ended up with it.

094612D8-8255-4116-BEC0-0650DC6A172E.jpeg

4396CCA9-E085-4FCC-AA8C-507FFB13B315.jpeg

@jeffgordons24 I see the D3 is a bit longer. Also looks like you got it on the throttle tube as far as it should go too. Thanks for the pic.

On the thread I linked in my post on p1 of this thread, I read that Rizomas are a bit shorter than stock. Apparently some owners were moving the control pod down the bar a bit I guess to avoid a gap between the end of the grip and the bar end weight.

I measured my stock bars today.

Without removing the grips, it appears the LH bar is 124mm from pod to end of handlebar. The stock grip covers all of it except for about 1mm.

The RH bar is approximately 127mm and the grip covers all but 6mm. There is some extra bar length included and it seems as though the RH grip is about 2mm shorter than the LH--to avoid throttle sticking I guess.

So stockers are about 121~123mm.

Rizomas are 119mm.

D3s are 123mm.

D3 it is.

Back