New Grips - Driven D3's - Thoughts?

goalie31

Registered
I'm planning on putting some new grips in the next week or so. I'm thinking that the Driven D3's look comfortable. Is anyone here running them? What do most of you do about the large plastic ring on the throttle tube that is never covered by new grips? I've always thought that it looks bad when you but the new grips up to it. Any pics of your solutions would be appreciated.

I have them and like em alot... The thick rubber aids in the prevention of your hands cramping up from the vibrations...
1000x's better than those "Harris" Gel grips! The rings by your index fingers and thumbs help keep my hands in a more relaxed position while riding.
I also get compliments on them alot... Love that they're alot cheaper than "Rizoma" grips.

002.jpg

Yes i like them,but u need to cut the extra throttle ring off to get a clean look..bar ends will fit fine..in my opinion i like the ones with more of a lip, so your hand can rest against it..but if u like the d3, they are really good grips,especially if u wear gloves..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317013628.430635.jpg

I have the Rizoma grips ($64 shipped from PJ parts)and the only complaint I have is they are small in diameter which causes hand fatigue. I plan to put on some grip puppies to resolve that problem.

I have an '08 busa with a lot of work done to it. I tried the Harris grips, but they failed on two counts: 1. I am not going to trim my throttle tube end ring. 2. The Harris grips don't fit over the throttle tube's larger thumb ring like the stock ones do. I thrashed the Harris grips and had to order the stock grips. Total of $55.00 down the tubes. (Pun intended.)
Lesson learned: Leave the stock grips alone.

I have the Rizoma grips ($64 shipped from PJ parts)and the only complaint I have is they are small in diameter which causes hand fatigue. I plan to put on some grip puppies to resolve that problem.

Yeap you are right. It causes me hand fatigue too. And my hands are big! Lol...

I have them and like em alot... The thick rubber aids in the prevention of your hands cramping up from the vibrations...
1000x's better than those "Harris" Gel grips! The rings by your index fingers and thumbs help keep my hands in a more relaxed position while riding.
I also get compliments on them alot... Love that they're alot cheaper than "Rizoma" grips.

View attachment 1551926
DId you have any issue with throttle sticking. The aluminum rings kind of press the rubber outward. I find it’s sticking on either the control or bar end.

Rizoma or D3?

here's a link to one Rizoma thread that was going ten years ago. Looks like the same product they make today.

rizoma grips | Appearance mods

Main difference I can see is that the Rizoma has the throttle tube integrated into it. The D3s are 4 mm longer according to what is reported in the ads. Will that make the throttle stick?

The aluminum rings kind of press the rubber outward. I find it’s sticking on either the control or bar end.
Possibly the extra 4 mm rubs the bar end?

Rizoma or D3?

here's a link to one Rizoma thread that was going ten years ago. Looks like the same product they make today.

rizoma grips | Appearance mods

Main difference I can see is that the Rizoma has the throttle tube integrated into it. The D3s are 4 mm longer according to what is reported in the ads. Will that make the throttle stick?

Possibly the extra 4 mm rubs the bar end?
Yea you are correct lol some washers and I was golden. Sorry I never posted back that I found a solution.

Yea you are correct lol some washers and I was golden. Sorry I never posted back that I found a solution.
I had a similar problem with Chinese knockoff grips rubbing the CRG bar end mirror I have on the 14. It was not possible to fully slide the inside end of the grip over the ribs on the throttle tube. The grip was a few mm outboard and it rubbed the bar end mirror bracket I have there. I used a washer under the bar end to space that out a bit and it's fine.

On my busa bar ends, I just have small bobbins about the same diameter as the handle bar. No chance of throttle rubbing any bar ends so no problem with any grips I might use. My concern is the opposite problem: that either Rizoma or D3s might be a few mm too short and expose handle bar. Sounds like the D3s were a wee bit longer than the stock grips? That would work for me. Too long won't expose handlebar and I have no bar ends to rub.

How about the ribs on the throttle tube (I assume the busa has a similar throttle tube to the 14)? Were you able to get your D3s over both ribs or was there a small gap up by the RH control pod?

Back