New Brakes question

sessions

Registered
I just changed the brakes on the bike front and rear. I noticed that the front tire is really hard to spin with the new brakes on, is this normal and will they lossen up after a ride? this was the first brake change so im not sure what to expect...

Thanks

Shouldn't be REALLY hard to spin the wheel, but a slight drag would be normal until they run in a little bit. Did you squeeze the lever a few times to see if they loosened up any?

You didnt squeeze the lever while the calipers were off the bike did you?

No i didn't squeez e when they were off. and yes I did squeeze after they were on and still no let up.

It doesn't sound normal to me.
There is always a slight drag, (the pads are resting right against the disk) but it shouldn't slow the wheel at all.
I would check how they are installed, may be pull them off and reinstall them.
They make several types of disk pad spreaders (auto parts stores) that will force the pistons back into the caliper. (see pics).
They work good and they may just be stuck and when pushed in a bit will fix the problem.
This also forces the brake fluid back up into the reservoir so watch that.
If they drag like that and you ride, it could overheat real fast, and cook the disks.
I changed mine twice and never experienced that.

34117.jpg

eagleday_2037_69247182.gif

Last edited:
If you haven't had the bike around the block at least to seat the pads on the rotors don't consider what you've experienced as normal. Take it around the block and then see how it feels.

Probably just need to aling themselves, but check your install.

Did you clean around the pistons in the caliper? Sometimes there is dirt on the piston(s) and the thicker new pads push the dirty piston back into the cylinder creating enough drag that the small amount of springiness in the seal is not enough to pull the piston back in to the bore the tiny amount that occurs when you apply brakes that are functioning normally.

cheers
ken

KML is right, you can have a lot of crud built up.. make sure to check that..

some tightness is normal.. (SOME) I usually tighten the caliper mounts to just where they are snug.. Apply the brakes, loosen and then re-torque the bolts with the brakes applied.. (centers up the calipers as much as possible)

Do be aware during your test ride if the bike starts to feel "bogged" down.. could indicate brakes dragging really hard and it is "possible" to have a wheel lock up if they get so hot they boil the fluid .. (did this once)

May be a stupid question, but are you using a stem stand so the forks are clear, or a fork stand? When spinning the wheel on my fork stand, the rotor bolts rub the edge of the stand making it appear to be hard to move.

KML is right, you can have a lot of crud built up.. make sure to check that..

some tightness is normal.. (SOME) I usually tighten the caliper mounts to just where they are snug.. Apply the brakes, loosen and then re-torque the bolts with the brakes applied.. (centers up the calipers as much as possible)

Do be aware during your test ride if the bike starts to feel "bogged" down.. could indicate brakes dragging really hard and it is "possible" to have a wheel lock up if they get so hot they boil the fluid .. (did this once)

so do i need to use brake kleen on this? whats the best way to clean the stuff out? I have not taken it on a ride yet i still have to put my back tire on and bleed the lines in the rear. I removed the rear caliper to be painted, but left the front alone.

I would use first a short bristle brush or an air hose and just scrub the stuff off.. you can rinse when done with some brake clean but probably not really necessary.. I do not like hosing all the brake parts on an "assembled" system with brakecleen myself.. I rather use and air hose and some soap and water..

If the system is taken apart, then yep, brakecleen galore :)

I use brakekleen (or similar) on them when they are still assembled, but no way would I leave it on them.
I hose them off right after with lots of soap and water, (on low pressure.), plenty enough to wash all the chemical and left over dust off.
I do it yearly, and the residue doesn't build up as much.
JMO

Last edited:
Back