Braking questions

Rongotti

Registered
So my rear brake was squeeking sometimes when I come to a stop, I ordered a new brake pad so I will try and switch this out. Last night I had to come to a stop from 80 MPH on a red light and mashed the brakes pretty hard and it felt like the bike didnt want to stop, I had to downshift three gears and engine brake to stop. Could the front need new pads too? I noticed the brake fluid looks low in the right side indicator too.

My bike stops on a dime so...... You definitely have an issue....Rear brake basically does nothing to stop the bike.. In fact some riders NEVER use the rear brake... So either you have crappy brakes or you are not using them correctly..

So my rear brake was squeeking sometimes when I come to a stop, I ordered a new brake pad so I will try and switch this out. Last night I had to come to a stop from 80 MPH on a red light and mashed the brakes pretty hard and it felt like the bike didnt want to stop, I had to downshift three gears and engine brake to stop. Could the front need new pads too? I noticed the brake fluid looks low in the right side indicator too.

80 mph in a traffic light area??? If your bike is an older one , you might have to get your calipers a new kit, mine is an 05 and the brake calipers were starting to drag,took them apart and cleaned them up, and if any of the pistons are scored, replace with new ones. How low is the brake fluid in the resivoir?

There are wear marks on the brake pad as well that should let you know when they are getting to thin, If you are not 100% sure, IMHO you should take it to a well known establishment and get this stuff checked out, it will be money well spent for a piece of mind.

I usually lock the rear during those ah shoot moments. Time to check the brakes.

80 mph in a traffic light area??? If your bike is an older one , you might have to get your calipers a new kit, mine is an 05 and the brake calipers were starting to drag,took them apart and cleaned them up, and if any of the pistons are scored, replace with new ones. How low is the brake fluid in the resivoir?

Yea I was riding through the hood and didn't want to be cruising at low speeds. I will try and get a pic of the brake fluid level.

There are wear marks on the brake pad as well that should let you know when they are getting to thin, If you are not 100% sure, IMHO you should take it to a well known establishment and get this stuff checked out, it will be money well spent for a piece of mind.

that might be a good idea, I just hate spending money on something I can fix without paying a diagnostic

How often do you check your brake pads for wear?

cheers
ken

never lol i just got the bike a week ago

Here is a pic of it, it is sitting level

2011-02-23_21-09-22_709.jpg

Check your pads you just might be in the process or ruining your rotors with metal to metal contact from the backing pad rubbing on the rotor.

I don't really wish to harsh your mellow, but you really should check all those basic maintenance items on a used bike before riding.

cheers
ken

Some types of brake pads just squeak - I had a cruiser and the front brake would make a wicked squeaking noise... When they would squeak they weren't as effective. Would clean the rotor with some brake cleaner and it would subside. Eventually got a different brand of brake pads and presto - problem solved... You should take a flash light a check the pad - if you can see grooves the pads are still good. Look for a different fix...

Pictured below are car pads - they are thicker than cycle brakes - but for demostration purposes they show the difference - note the groove in the one brake is gone indicating the pad is almost worn to the metal backing plate - hitting the plate is bad. The other has no grove but you can see it's almost to the backing plate.

dscn2834.jpg

brake_pads.jpg

It seems you have a very limited knowledge of brake systems.
Find someone qualified to work on your brakes, dealer would be best, unless you know someone qualified to help. Brakes are too important to screw up. You may not get a second chance.

Get a service manual and do it yourself if you have any mechanical ability! It's not rocket science! There are plenty of people on here to help you through the process!

Get a service manual and do it yourself if you have any mechanical ability! It's not rocket science! There are plenty of people on here to help you through the process!

I do have one and that is what I was thinking :laugh:
If I used to build aircraft carriers and nuclear submarines for a living i think I can best some brake pads lol

I do have one and that is what I was thinking :laugh:
If I used to build aircraft carriers and nuclear submarines for a living i think I can best some brake pads lol

Yeah - I think you'll be ok... Brakes either work or don't when your done. Only thing that can be a little tricky is bleeding brakes. Rookie error to avoid - don't depress the brake lever while changing out the linings. Also - if you get into changing fluid, lines, or rebuilding calipers the key is to work the brakes good and make sure there are no leaks and the brake resevoir stays full... And if you have any real intrepidation just do the front make sure they work and come back and do the rear later on - or vice versa. Allow for one know good brake system (front or back).

Remember - use brake cleaner - don't breath the brake dust as many still use asbestos.

If you determine the linings are still good - then you probably need to look at run out on the rotors or for glazing... Something along those lines...

Oh and one other thing get a little break grease and put a tiny dab on any metal to metal parts. That can cause squeaking too - and may be the problem...

Back