New BMW may surpass the GoldWing

I went a different way for a tourer: 2009 Rocket III. I wish it had a reverse; I cannot push it backwards on any sort of incline. Reminds me of a '65 Valiant I once had. Always had to park it so I could drive forward: it had no reverse either! LOL.

I do like the torque of the R3T, tho'.

CW

I went a different way for a tourer: 2009 Rocket III. I wish it had a reverse; I cannot push it backwards on any sort of incline. Reminds me of a '65 Valiant I once had. Always had to park it so I could drive forward: it had no reverse either! LOL.

I do like the torque of the R3T, tho'.

CW

Bet that '65 Valiant had push button shift, didn't it? Oops, showing my age again :whistle:

The thing that is always a put-off for me in the beemer world is the price of tuneups, repairs, and accessories...it is so beyond arrogant to believe. Only Ducati has the balls to be more arrogant than the germans. Give me Honda any day.
Yeah, no big touring bike can keep up with the busa but the Honda Goldwing ain't harvey milktoast either. She is a touring bike on steroids. As attested to by one of our brethren on the guy rocking his wing at the gap. She is superbly balanced and has plenty of reserve pedal to hyperdrive it. Nice neutral position for long rides also. I keep nibbling at her and one day she will seduce me into a death look from my wife as i roll into the garage...:laugh::laugh:

i dont think so. seems like they got a ways to go to beat the wing. i mean it is the busa of the touring world.:rulez:

I like the specs of teh New BMW but as a Goldwing owner (06 GL1800 ) it will take a lot for me to switch. It was riding the 06 BMW LT The 06 Goldwing and the HD Ultra that sold me the Goldwing. The LT was the best suspended bike but the inline 4 of 06 was buzzy and seat height high and so was the center of balance compared to the Goldwing. It Looks to me like they certainly have resolved the engine issue. The other concern was the distance between dealers. You have to leave the planet not to be able to find a Honda Dealer not so BMW. We chose the Goldwings (wife and I each have one) This new BMW is very intriguing though .

Southern Powersports has new 2010 GWs for 18,397. They are tough to beat for that price.

There's an interesting mix of bikes in the parking lot at work including a Goldwing. Damn, those things are huge! And whether you ride solo or with a passenger, you have that giant back seat there. Looks like someone fell off.

I'm not much of a BMW fan. I had an R-69S in the late '60s but only for a short time. If I'm going to the Bay Area or Lake Tahoe I'll take the Busa, if I'm going to Oregon or Denver I'll take the Fat Boy. Works for me...

Personally, I am not a Goldwing or Electra glide fan. Might as well ride a convertable and be even more comfortable. Motorcycles are about performance and handling, or about feeling the wind in your face while making noise.

I believe the Beemer is somewhere in-between. It is in a different class to a Goldwing, has the power and performance, with some comfort thrown in. For me it is still a motorcycle, while a Goldwing is something else.

Nhgunnut, what made you fall asleep on the 1300GT? Not powerful enough?
Here is what I wrote in another forum last August and it was the S not the GT I apologize

o I have been going back and forth about replacing my 05 Turbo and while in New York this week end I stopped over at Max BMW where they were kind enough to let me test ride a K1300S

There is some irony here because back in 05 when I started to look at GT bikes the look of the K1200S with its slim lines and single sided swing arm was very enticing. Even last year I was considering adding one but went with the B King.

The Dealership
Max BMW: these people have got it down, wandered in and was immediately invited to sit on anything I wanted. ( I knew I wasn’t interested but I had to through a leg over the S100RR and the ergos reminded me right away of why I wasn’t looking for a Superbike) After poking around a bit a Sales Person named Greg asked me if he could help I told him I was thinking about about replacing a a 05 Hayabusa and he Responded with “Let me show you our K1300S†We talked about the changes from the K1200S to the K1300S a bit about pricing Shift assist electronic suspension, Traction Control and ABS.
Then after gearing up I am off to ride one. The tester is a Base level unit with ABS and heated grips is a base model who’s only option is the tri color paint ($16k) These bikes are beautiful in my eyes and the ergos are quite comfortable. Foot pegs are where you want them if you are 6 foot and at 6’2 they work just fine. The bars are wide and high when you compare them to the Hayabusa. BMW is of course noted for doing things differently just for the sake of being different and right away ,finding the starter button proved this (it’s integrated into the Kill Switch) Getting on the road the bike seems to me the bike feels like you are sitting up high giving it a slightly twitchy feel but after about 5 miles that disappears . The bike is easy to move around and that the radial master cylinders on the from brake and clutch make using them a one or two finger dream. The anti lock works fine but you do sense their presence unlike the VFR1200 Honda system or the System on the Ducati 1200 Multi Strada that you just don’t know are there. In the corners this bike is easy to set up and holds the line well. The “TeleLever†front suspension give feedback but felt a bit odd but became easy enough to read after about 5 miles. Like the first Gen Hayabusa the bike feels bolted down . The bike is 535 lbs. and eats up the rough spots. BMW like Honda seems to have worked out the shaft drive and there is no lurch under acceleration.
Now the not so nice everything from about the bike tells you that they have over governed it. The first three gears below 5k have been retarded to the point of being mind numbing. There is at least and even chance the at below 5k a well tuned HD will out accelerate you hit 6 k and the bikes performance changes so much that this has to be the result of how the bike is programmed rather than any mechanical limits . Above 6k this bike is a sweet ride it pulls strong and smoothly. I have seen the reviews that say it pulls better than a Gen II Busa in a 60 to 80 5th gear roll on, perhaps this is true, but you should NOT have to boil a 1300cc i4 to come away from traffic at a stop light who ever programmed this ecu should be sent to the showers (not in the 1940 German way but no hot water for them either).
After about an hour I was back at Max’s and I asked if there was a way of getting some restriction out of the lower revs and was Told NO NO and No.
My overall impression of this bike is that first it is Beautiful to look at I know it is heresy but I think it is one of the prettiest bikes in its class. The technology available is very nice and the brakes and suspension make it an easy bike to ride and I suspect it would ride well over distances.
Sadly all of that is over shadowed by a profoundly neutered drive train that it feels like my Goldwing will spank it stop light to stop light.
Honestly as pretty as this bike is if the Technology is important to you at the same price point I can’t help but point out Honda’s VFR1200 is is a better overall performer.
The Hayabusa may be a bit less sophisticated but neither the VFR1200 or the BMW K1300S offer enough to make me want to step away from it .......yet.
The Goldwing statement is a minor exageration but factual the S the "Fast K Bike" was a snooze

There's an interesting mix of bikes in the parking lot at work including a Goldwing. Damn, those things are huge! And whether you ride solo or with a passenger, you have that giant back seat there. Looks like someone fell off.

I'm not much of a BMW fan. I had an R-69S in the late '60s but only for a short time. If I'm going to the Bay Area or Lake Tahoe I'll take the Busa, if I'm going to Oregon or Denver I'll take the Fat Boy. Works for me...
The wing has about 3 inches on a Ultraglide and is much eaiser to toss around. But Variety is beautiful and everyone should ride what they like,, my big vetch with comparative threads is people judge bikes without getting out and riding them. I know that for touring I am on the Goldwing for a reasons best explained b it's Licence Plate "PAID4" but If Max's or some other dealer has a test Ride on the 1600 you can bet My A$$ will be in its saddle for an hour.

Yeah, variety is beautiful. If we all rode the same thing we wouldn't have anyone to be jealous of, or to look down on... ;- )

Tq

Back