New and would like tire opinions

For what it's worth, if you sport tour:
<ul>
[*]Bike came with Bridgestones. Not much left when I got it so the tire gave little to no feedback.
[*]Put on Dunlops (?) and got nice feel for about 2500mi. Typical Dunlop.
[*]Moved to Pirellis Dragons. Felt like I was falling off a cliff putting her into each turn. Typical Pirelli. Sticky after warming up. Good for under 3K.
[*]Forced to put a Metzler ME1 on the rear. Barely made it 2200mi. Loooong warm up period. Never felt confident.
[*]I have been riding Avon AV45 and 46 Sport Touring tires. This is the only tire I will ever buy again. Excellent feel, good ride but not "soft." I had never dragged pegs before these tires. Drag the right all the time now (the center stand arm on the clutch side makes me nervous). I use a 120-60 in place of the 120-70 for quicker steering. The AV45 and 46 are not the best performance tire, but they are an excellent touring tire for the Hayabusa. I can't remember feeling as confident in the rain either. I can easily get 7500 touring miles on a rear, 15K on the front. That includes the added weight of the beetle bags and gear! They are not bad looking either.
[/list]

<!--EDIT|99 Busapilot
Reason for Edit: "Pic of tire"|1155245896 -->

DSC04153sm.jpg

Welcome
wink.gif
I use PowerPilots, get aprox. 4K out of them. Moderate to hard riding mix.

I have always liked the Bridgestones (BT010 then BT014). Excellent mileage and handling. Recently, I put on a set of Avons Viper Sport. I thought that I would give them a try, but it was hard to pull away from the BT014. Not enough time to offer an opinion on the Avons yet. Stay tuned. By the way, Charles at Street and Track (board sponsor) has good deals.

welcome aboard man-congrats on the bike!
smile.gif
here's how I break down my fav's:
1-price vs. mileage
2-Grip vs. mileage
3-Versatility vs. mileage

my top pick in all these would be Dunlop's new Qualifiers (because I run them-aprox. 3k on them and I ran alot of freeway miles @ triple digits, with no problems) still have set but off bike right now-rims got bent
Second would be the Pilot Powers, but they lose a few points for their price- more expensive than the Dunlops is all
in regard to the Shinko's:they are great strip tires for getn hook-up off the line, but they suck in anything involving a turn/corner...poor tracking n less grip. Great wear tho.

as stated above-do a search and really take the time to read alot of posts here-you can then make an educated decision and then use a board-sponsored vendor to buy your tires from; i guarantee they'll give you the best deals.
good hunting man!
smile.gif

smile.gif

welcome aboard man-congrats on the bike!  
smile.gif
  here's how I break down my fav's:
1-price vs. mileage
2-Grip vs. mileage
3-Versatility vs. mileage

my top pick in all these would be Dunlop's new Qualifiers (because I run them-aprox. 3k on them and I ran alot of freeway miles @ triple digits, with no problems) still have set but off bike right now-rims got bent
Second would be the Pilot Powers, but they lose a few points for their price- more expensive than the Dunlops is all
in regard to the Shinko's:they are great strip tires for getn hook-up off the line, but they suck in anything involving a turn/corner...poor tracking n less grip. Great wear tho.

as stated above-do a search and really take the time to read alot of posts here-you can then make an educated decision and then use a board-sponsored vendor to buy your tires from; i guarantee they'll give you the best deals.
good hunting man!
smile.gif
I concur on the Dunlop Qualifier as an all around Best, if your riding style runs to the extremes form simple commuting to radical canyon carving and an occasional Track Day! Between 3 bikes, I have extensively researched, and tried a wide selection over the past few years, and have come to the conclusion that the current available Best all around tire is the Dunlop Qualifier. Prior to that was their D208ZR. Bearing in mind that I commute 32 Miles (one way), 74 miles round trip a day through a very fun Canyon Road. Sticking in the corners is paramount to arriving safely to the other side, mileage averages 3000 on a set of Qualifiers. As mentioned before, all of us make a concious choice when it comes to the Grip-vs-Wear scenario, I choose mostly Grip!! because it is cheaper changing tires, than replacing Bikes!!!

smile.gif

So it sounds as if it is between the Dunlop Qualifiers and the Power Pilots? If price were the same, what would you pick?

Check out the new corsa III's. Also they are running a special on them. Buy a rear 180 or 190, front tire is free. I just placed an order through ronayers. You really cant go wrong with either of your choices.

Sweet ride--bet it looks even better in person than on my screen. For me, I'm on my second rear on my '06, and that's half cooked. I've put 7,500 miles on since April, so I guess you can say I do more touring than anything else. For me, I'm gonna try the Avon AV 45 & AV 46 next. See if I can more mileage.

I like the Pilot Powers. I have just hit the wear bars at 5000 miles. The rear that is on the bike now has been to the gap 4 times. I comute on the bike also. Most of the time one of my daughters are with me so most of my miles are with a passenger. Hope this helps some.

Tim

Ok folks. It was a tough decisions but I made my mind up. Last night, I ordered the Pilot Powers.

I want to say think you to everyone who gave me input. I really appreciated it.

Cant go wrong there!
+10

The Pilot Powers are great. Gave me more confidence. Never been faster in the corners.

Bought these after I had bought a set locally. Can't beat 219 plus shipping. Got them in 4 days

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Michelin-Pilot-Power-Brand-New-190-50-17-120-70-17_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35601QQihZ01

5QQitemZ250017793895QQrdZ1" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....5QQrdZ1</a>

<!--EDIT|jaschil69
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155842982 -->

Cant go wrong there!
+10

The Pilot Powers are great. Gave me more confidence. Never been faster in the corners.

Bought these after I had bought a set locally. Can't beat 219 plus shipping. Got them in 4 days

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Michelin-Pilot-Power-Brand-New-190-50-17-120-70-17_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35601QQihZ01

5QQitemZ250017793895QQrdZ1" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....5QQrdZ1</a>
I bought the exact same ones from the same seller on eBay.

M-1 go away fast my backs are only lasting about 2000 miles (the one I took off had like 2100 and had steel belts showing on it)
from what i hear Pilot Powers, new Met M-3, dun Qualifiers(go feel the Qualifiers they are super soft) are all good and sticky the m-1 is sticky at first then goes away they were out of Powers here so put on pilot roads to get my mileage up today is my first day on them I'll know tonight how they are its bike night and I haven't been in awhile so I'm definitely going to try them out

Shanling,
   Hard to pass that deal up huh? I thought it was worth it to have a spare set.
Yes it is hard to pass up. I bought the set for less than a local dealer wanted for the rear, a whole lot less. I am seriously thinking about buying another set just because the price is so low. I asked and they said they were not blems either. When they arrive, if they are perfect, I will most likely buy another set.

Back