Screw in my front tire

Anthonypb

Registered
Hey guys I just found a screw in my front tire I only have 2500 miles on the set should I just plug it or should I get a new tire? Also any recommendation for a new tire should I stick with the oem or go with another brand? Thanks guys

I trust it better than a plug and would run it till the tire wears out. Plugging requires reaming the screw hole larger to fit the plug, this process could damage the inner structure of the tire resulting in a blow out. My feelings are a plug is great for roadside convenience, but is not a fix.

No one is going to patch or plug a motorcycle tire on the front for you. So you options are limited. You can plug the tire and hope for the best or remove the tire from the rim and install a mushroom plut from the inside which "In My View" is the only reliable way to patch a tire.

Or,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you can do the proper thing and mount a new tire for your own safety. And,,,,,,,,,,,,, if you do not intend on replacing the rear as well, by all means install the same tire on the front that matches the rear.

I've used patches in bikes, cars, and trucks and never had a problem. I patch the bikes myself because I can. You, being in the scooter capital of the US (its gotta be!), should have no problem finding a place to do it, if you can't, and see how they feel about patching a screw hole.

I would not risk it. Get a new tire.

Even if you just put 10 miles on it and got a screw. I mean I guess it depends on how you ride, but any cornering or over 100+, just too risky.

Plug it to get it home and/or to the shop...and ride like its pouring down rain...

You don't want to be the guy that got the "close enough" compound glue for that tire repair. (because everyone gives 110% at work everyday, right? :whistle: )

Yeah I'm not gonna test it I'm just gonna plug it and take it to the shop. Where I live it's not like I drive very fast but I don't wanna test it.

Good decision, I have a nail in my rear tire now and I am not putting any thought in to it, it's getting a new tire. Just like it has already been said in your thread, is 150 bucks worth your life or the risk!

So imagine opening her up on a deserted stretch of road with a couple of big swoopy turns. You're leaned over into the turn pushing the limits and that little thought about the screw hole you plugged a thousand miles ago creeps in............Get a new tire!

Seriously, I lost a brand new BT-023 Battleaxe after 1000 miles on the rear and as hard as it was I just replaced the tire for piece of mind.

Back