New and would like tire opinions

Shanling

Man ***** Extreme
Donating Member
Registered
Hiya folks!

I'm new to these forums. I have an 04 busa, picture attached. Just got back into the sport bikes after being on HDs since 1996. Never knew how much I missed it until I bought this Busa!

Anyway, I need to put some new tires on this thing. I am a fan of twisties so I want something with some "stick" to it but I don't want to be putting new tires on it every 2500 miles. So if you guys can give me some recs and choices for tires that are both sticky and long lasting, I would certainly appreciate it!

<!--EDIT|Shanling
Reason for Edit: "mispelled words?"|1155231108 -->

Hayabusa.jpg

Seems like most around here are running Pilot Powers, Dunlop Qualifiers, or Metzeler M1 or the new M3. I am currently running the M1 & have a hard time getting 3500 miles out of the rear tire. I'm sure some others will offer some info on some other tires.

Good lookin' busa!!
biggrin.gif

Try either the Pilot Powers or the Dunlop Q's ... both are excellent tires for the twisties and they have decent tire wear too.

I just installed Avon Vipersport Av-59 & AV-60. Only put about 350 miles on so far but they stick and handle very well. Sweet Busa. Welcome to H.Org
cool.gif

MAN- that Busa looks sweet!
Very Nice.

As far as tires i think you can't really have both super sticky and high mileage. All of the above mentioned are a good compromise, tho.

welcome to the board that is one nice lookin bike. I have a metzler with about 6500 miles on it been a good tire, my next tire will be a pilot just to try it out see if it holds up any better
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|spkerhed
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155264889 -->

NICE bike. You have some of the best tires available on your bike now, Pirelli Diablo Super corsa's. I am a huge Pirelli fan and just installed the Diablo Corsa's. I'm hoping they will last longer than the super corsa's cause those are more track than street. I have almost 2K on supercorsa's on my sv 650, but that's alot lighter bike with lots less torque. For more perfomance twisty tires, I would go with Pirelli Diablo Corsa's, Dunlop Qualifiers, and Michelin Pilot Powers. They are all great tires, plus if you ever want to drag race, the softer compound of those tires will help.

+1 on the dunlops...approx. 2k miles on and have experienced good handling and wear...btw, welcome to the board and congrats on the bike

Tire wear is based on many factors:

weight of the rider
weight of the bike
riding style
hp/tq
type of pavment most ridden on

All of these will affect your particular situation.

I have used many different tires over the years from the stockers to race tires. I ride very hard in the twisties and usually shred the majority of street rubber in less than 1000 miles.

The Pilot Powers have given me the most miles riding hard of any of the street rubber I have used. There is no warm up time and they are predictable.

I havent tried the new Dunlop Qualifiers, but several of my friends have and they report awsome stick but less miles then the Powers under the same conditions.

Welcome and thanks for the pic. Nice scoot! +10 on the Pilot Powers!

cool.gif
Wow! I love your 04! You have it looking lovely! That's my second favorite color (06LE being my first). I think that color combo is one of the sleepers for the Busa.

As far as tires go....I dunno.
rock.gif
I'll be purchasing the Pilot Powers or the Dunlop Qualifiers once I need a set.

I just wanted to say welcome and nice Busa!

Hey thanks for the welcomes and thanks for the comments on my Busa. I really appreciate that. Lovely? I have gotten a lot of compliments (on the Busa) but that is the first time anyone used that word. Hehehe...thanks! I am jjust so darned excited to have stumbled upon this site. What a fantastic resource!

Something that is bothering me is that nobody is mentioning the Shinko tires. I talked to a local facility here in Indianapolis and they said they are selling four of those to every one of any other brand. Sounds like the Pilot Powers are the resounding favorite here but does anyone know anything about these Shinko tires? Also, the tires that are on it right now are race tires and super sticky. Someone noticed that so now I know there are some real critical eyes and people who know their tread patterns on here. I think I'lll let this thread run for a few days before I make up my mind. Thanks for the great input and please keep it coming.
biggrin.gif

lower your PSI and almost anything will stick. Welcome.
expect to replace back tire twice for every one front if you twist the trottle much

Welcome to the org! Nice ride. I recommend using the search button. You will get a lot of opinions on tires! There are probably about 6 top flight tires out there right now suitable for street use on a Hayabusa. My personal favorite is the one I am running now. Metzeler M3. They are super sticky, and have excellent handling characteristics compared to the stockers. Metzeler claims that they will outlast the M1 by 50% though I cannot corroborate this claim just yet. I have about 2200 miles on mine now and they are showing no signs of flattening in the middle. My stock rear was shot in 2900 miles so I am sure it will do better than that. Really happy so far!

Michelin pilot powers are a crowd favorite of the Hayabusa riders and they seem to be very durable as well. Jinkster has done a pretty thorough write up for the Dunlop Qualifiers and had excellent results. I sincerely doubt that any of these tires are realistically going to get you much more than about 4000 miles though. They all sell stickier DOT Race rubber but the warm up characteristics and brief lifespan do not lend themselves well to street riding. To get much beyond these mileage numbers you get into the Metzler Z6, Avon AV45/46, Michelin Pilot Road, Conti Road attack range which are a bit more biased for extended highway/sport touring use and still offer appreciable levels of grip. All are excellent tires though with a slightly different mission profile. Just be honest in your own assessment of your skills and how you want them to perform in your day to day riding and you can’t go wrong.

They all sell stickier DOT Race rubber but the warm up characteristics and brief lifespan do not lend themselves well to street riding.

The no race tires for street use is a common misconception.

If you ride hard to very hard in the twisties, a race tire will last longer than street rubber. I get over 2000 miles per rear with race rubber to a best of just over 1500 on Powers.

There is a trade off that has to be considered.......

I do not commute on my Busa at all, it is trailered to the playground and trailered home. 99% of the time there is race specific rubber mounted on my bike.

The race tires do take many turns to warm up to temp, but once there, nothing except a slick will compare.

Just be honest in your own assessment of your skills and how you want them to perform in your day to day riding and you can’t go wrong.

This is the best advice anyone can give you. Match the tire to the type of riding you plan on doing.

<!--EDIT|vman1300
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155245324 -->

Back