New 08 gel seat?

BusaJim08

Registered
It got up to 30 degrees today, so I spent some time putting on the parts I ordered. I put on the new tinted windshield with busa logo, bra with busa logo(had to use an old hair blow dryer to get out the wrinkles), and carbon look gel seat w/logo. Is it just me or does this "gel seat" seem not so much like gel? I got this for some of those longer rides I am looking forward to when it warms a little. It seems to me like the stock seat is more comfy.
rock.gif

The one I had was definetly not gel like the very first one were.

I got rid of it because it wasnt comfortable to me.

Hope the Gen2 seat is better than the Gen 1.

The Gen 1 gel seat does not have much of a following.. The dealer where I got my bike said they had every single gel seat they sold, returned.... they dumped them all on Ebay (no return) for $75 to $90.. I purchased a Corbin

Check my sig.... I have the new K8 model.

I never checked out the Gen I gel seat, some I can't comment on the older version of that seat.

I have one..it seems harder than the stock seat..
Yes, it is firmer, particularly in the center portion where the gel insert resides. It feels that way by design. For the same reasons the Corbin seats feel a lot firmer than stock. I used a Corbin on several sport-touring bikes in the past, and they are much, MUCH firmer than stock, and for a reason.

Unlike stock foam seats, the gel seats, the Corbins, Russel Day-Long, et al do not compress after a relatively short riding period. When the foam compresses, it may feel okay for a while, but the compressed foam results in that area of your butt not being supported the same as areas immediately adjacent to the compressed portion. This results in the creation of "hot spots", areas that burn and pinch after a fair amount of saddle time.

The Gel seat does not suffer from the "compressed foam" phenomena, because it is firmer and actually supports all areas of your butt equally (those portions that the gel actually makes contact with). So, yes, it does feel firmer initially, but it is for a good reason - less seat compression - which allows you to stay in the saddle for longer periods with (relative) comfort.

That said, it's still all very subjective to the rider.... kinda like tires, helmets, boots, etc. What is fantastic for one rider may be absolutely terribly for another....
dunno.gif

I also have the Zuki 08 Busa Gel seat. Yes it is "firmer", but I find it very comfortable. War gave a good explanation above:-) (thanks!). I havent full hauled it cause of the cold, but i can tell after sitting on it and warming it up, it forms very well. I have an 04LE busa with a stock seat and its softer to the touch, but it used to give me some light hot spots.

But yes, the GEL is firm. I am planning to get a Tobin Seat..so ill switch between the two.

Happy Riding!

Can anyone give me additional confirmation that the Gel seat sits the rider higher, lower, or about the same as the stock seat?

My gel seat fits about the same as the stock. At least I can't tell a difference. And Yes, it feels harder than stock but like someone earlier pointed out, that firmness keeps you butt from getting "hot" spots. I have had multiple Corbons, and they too are very firm, but are comfortable for the long haul. I hope this gel seat is as good as my past Corbons. If it is, I will be very happy, since it cost less and looks very nice.

J

I had a gel pack ut in my stock seat but didnt like it. I went and had Tobin redo mine and i love it. I have onle road it a little but if feels great. I will let you know more when it warms up here.

P6040041.JPG

Can anyone give me additional confirmation that the Gel seat sits the rider higher, lower, or about the same as the stock seat?
higher for me !!!

must make a modification besides on the saddle passenger, so that it is higher, because my wife is from now on too low, and as it likes to see the road...

Back