Gel Seat - Biggest waste of $160 ever

ericyow

Registered
So I read ALL the threads on seats and decided to go with the Gel. The summary of my research here showed that Corbin has bad customer service and takes to long to ship but the product is great; Tobin is great but you've got to be without a seat for a few weeks; and the Gel is great but gets hot in the sun.

I went with the Suzuki Gel Seat because it wasn't too expensive, easy to find on ebay, and could get to me fast. I've now put 1200 miles on it (600 yesterday and today) and my butt is killing me. I'm not so naive as to think that the gel seat should've eliminated any butt burn, as I'm sure I'd get it with any seat, but this did literally nothing to increase the comfort of riding for me. The stock seat was no worse.

In sum = I wasted $160.

I'll be trying the Tobin or Corbin now and selling the Gel on ebay to the next sucker like me. ;) :please:

Sorry to rant.

patience grasshopper... it takes time to GEL :laugh:

Seriously though... I heard that it takes a couple of months to "break in".. I've put about 2500 miles in on mine and I can tell a difference on longer rides.

Last edited:
I have posted that I didn't find the Suzuki gel seat to be any more comfortable than the stocker, still got the sore ass after 400 miles, not with the Tobin though, 500+ miles and just keep ridin off into the sunset.:thumbsup:

I just put on a Corbin with back rest for my wife, and in the past they have taken forever to get my seat to me but on this order it took only 1.5 weeks to have the seat to me and installed. Not used to that with Corbin but maybe they have some made up. I have used a number of Corbins and the comfort comes after some break in, only exception has been on my 1250 Bandit and it was a custom HoleShot seat. Have never tried the Tobins but i like the way they look.

The Zuk gel seat does take more than a couple of rides to break in. I will be better with a week or two of riding.

I had the gel and didn't like it.
Lots of guys do, but it hurt my butt too.
I got a Corbin and it is great! :thumbsup:

I also have the suzuki gel seat and its always felt pretty good to me, but then again i had the dealer through it in on the deal. So i've never rode with the stock seat :dunno:
BTW, I guess it helps that i may have a little extra Junk in my Trunk too! :whistle: :laugh:

I bought the suzuki gel seat for $100.

I sold the suzuki gel gel seat for $100.

Worked out great for me. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Strangely enough, I'm back to stock with a Second Look seat skin and still rackin' up the miles.

tobin is unbeatable as far as looks and comfort. you should try to sell the gel on line to make the difference towards a good one.

I have the SUZUKI Gel and love it for comfort .:thumbsup:
The Tobin seat hurts my butt.:poke:

As for me I have a Tobin and I never had any kind of butt problems form long rides.
For the stock seat my butt was killing me around 20 minutes of riding.

this flamboyant italian guy i know opened a restaurant, all the seats where bought at garage sales and where all different. i asked him why are all the chairs different? he said with the customary hand gestures "because everybody a$$es are different" :laugh:

i have a gel and love it... are a$$es must be different

If it's a break-in period, good grief it's been over a thousand miles. How much longer do I need to wait?! :poke: I guess I can stick it out for another grand or so and if it still stinks I'll sell it. I checked into Corbin and man they're expensive! I'd love my girl to have the corbin seat and backrest but I can think of a lot of stuff I'd rather spend $400 bucks on. :D

I bought an old seat here, or somewhere for $25 and took it to my local auto upholstry guy, for $40 he stretched new carbon look vinyl over it and quite honestly it has been my fave seat for the last few years... However, today a friend I have been helping sent me a new Corbin seat and it looks pretty sick!

Still very stiff and I hope it breaks in as I have been told before.

April-Stuff-09 034b.jpg

April-Stuff-09 035b.jpg

April-Stuff-09 038b.jpg

I have an extra GEL seat for trade or sale ... shoot me a pm if your interested.

April-Stuff-09 049b.jpg

GEN 1 - Suzuki Gel seats are uncomfortable . (Tend to be hot and slide around)
GEN 2 -Suzuki Gel seats are comfortable and better .( Good support for long Tours)

Back