NETWORK ADMINS

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Tech guys.........

I need an enterprise solution for remote administration, asset tracking, chat and potentially package management. This will be used across thousands of networks. MOM nor SMS are an option for windows..... What have you guys seen out there that is worth a flip?

CAp

Have no clue what your talkin about, but HI CAP, nice to see ya on here!
smile.gif

I suggest you check out http://www.download.com cap... there are quite a few good remote admin tools available there if a search. Sorry cant recomend you any specific onse...
sad.gif
... not been working on networks for over 4 years now
blush.gif

If your willing to spend a little coin, I'd recommend Altiris .

We are using it, CMS and SMS , to managae our WAN along with a few other products (15 sites across the country - 70 servers 2000 workstations. The patch management is not all what it is cracked up to be however, they are in the works of a major over haul. The remote access portion IMHO is great. Implementation was a slight beotch though.

I've also used PointDev Ideal Administration which uses VNC for remote access.

One last product that I've implemented is TrackIT I am actually in the process of upgrading from the 6.0 Standard edition to 6.5 Enterprise. For the cost of this product you can not beat it.

we have an enterprise system called OnCommand running here. Asset management, Remote Admin, Policy Enforcement, Software distribution. ON Technology got bought out by Symantec last year - maybe take a look at their stuff. Currently in use for around 65000 desktops (Deutsche Telekom)

-- Steve

Tech guys.........

I need an enterprise solution for remote administration, asset tracking, chat and potentially package management. This will be used across thousands of networks. MOM nor SMS are an option for windows..... What have you guys seen out there that is worth a flip?

CAp
Are you 100% Windows? Active Directory?

Tech guys.........

CAp
Are you 100% Windows?  Active Directory?
uuummmm.....AD is only good for 50 or less machines when we are talking SW dist. any more and you'll kill the distribution point....and yeah...I know about domain based DFS......only problem is no reporting on the distribution.

How come SMS isn't an option Cap? I do both SMS and MOM and they are killer products! Been doing SMS since version 1.1 and MOM since 2000.

If they aren't an option, take a look at Alterious (SP?)....we use it here at the office to push images and software

Tech guys.........

CAp
Are you 100% Windows?  Active Directory?
uuummmm.....AD is only good for 50 or less machines when we are talking SW dist.  any more and you'll kill the distribution point....and yeah...I know about domain based DFS......only problem is no reporting on the distribution.

How come SMS isn't an option Cap?  I do both SMS and MOM and they are killer products!  Been doing SMS since version 1.1 and MOM since 2000.

If they aren't an option, take a look at Alterious (SP?)....we use it here at the office to push images and software
The reason I asked about active directory was that some products are not active directory aware. TIVOLI is an example of a decent product that has several cons because it is not active directory aware. On the other hand, I highly recommend Dameware for some of the needs he mentioned. It interfaces very well with AD.

His sentence on MOM and SMS is not very clear. My initial vote would be for a combination of MOM/SMS, SUS/WSUS for OS patches and Dameware for remote control/management, troubleshooting etc. But not knowing a bit more about his OS environment ……..

BTW, I have witnessed AD used to distribute software to thousands. There are better solutions but it will work if managed correctly.

The biggest problem is with SMS and MOM is that we have admin responsibilities of over 2500 Domain or Active Directory networks but we do not have active connections to all of them. We are in the process of implementing Altiris but the remote solution sucks. I have been looking at netopia eCARE which allows the end user to initiate connection to us. I also have roughly 2500 linux networks that I would like to use this for. VNC, Dameware are not options, I'm looking for a solution to run around 75k with some new server overhead.
Ive been looking at a product called netsupport that also allows remote initiation to our techs.

For my unix/linux boxes I am using Tivoli. It seems to be more stable on there than on my windoze boxes. For windoze I am using SMS.

We tested SMS and TiVoli for software distribution - TiVoli won out (100k+ desktops and servers).

Cisco VPN for remote secure connections (like working from home which I get to do sometimes
smile.gif

Widows Terminal Services for remote server admin work or AD Computer Management (depends on what you need to do).

For chat Lotus Sametime Connect

<!--EDIT|macbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122483917 -->

Back