Home networks - wifi vs wired - what are you using - warning a bit geeky :)

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
I have a ton of connected devices at home, move huge amounts of data across a lot of them (streaming HD, voice/video for work, multiple PCs doing all manner of things). I have a Cisco small business wireless/vpn router at up front with a 50MB down / 10MB up connection provided through a cable company modem. Directly off that is a Sprint Airave (femtocell), wired network printer and a gig switch in my office. Cat6 run to the switch, then out to a few bluray players for netflix/amazon/etc streaming. I also tend to run 3 of the PCs in the office wired to the switch. I have no issues with the wired connections. I get decent transfer rates between machines, gig connection speed and smooth streaming to wired devices.

The issue I'm faced with is the wireless performance. I turned off a ton of the services on the Cisco SB router since they were absolutely KILLING my throughput speeds for everything. Even with 3 directional antennas I found the range/coverage was horrible at the opposite end of the house. I run 2 vlan's, one secured and one unsecured for guests. I had a few other wifi routers, 802.11n spec, so I turned off the dhcp/routing functions, dedicated/different channels and run them as authorized access points connected on the wires from the gig switch. That dramatically increased range but it seems I still have performance issues.

We have multiple ipads, ipods, iphones, android phones, tablets, wireless surveillance cameras (HD), wireless multi-function printer and the stupid Wii (:laugh:) in addition to two laptops that are basically full time wifi connections.

The Airave does an awesome job with handling our cell phone service, I did find putting it behind the main router vs directly behind the modem as recommended by the fine folks at Sprint dramatically increased network speeds and didn't hurt the cellular performance one bit. I've eliminated most everything I can that could be slowing things down as best I can tell. Unfortunately my wife tends to find more of the performance glitches but she also has a higher wireless use through the day than I do. The issues really are connection/access problems. Devices lose internet access. Sometimes changing between vlan's will find one working and the other not. The "outage" is often temporary and I find download speeds are lacking at times. I think I need to just ditch the router and replace it but if I don't have to invest another $150-300 that would be ok too. I like the features but could probably find alternate VPN solutions and DDNS services if a new/better router didn't have those features. If I dont have to run additional access points but get the range, eh that would be cool too.

I recently upgraded my parents to a Netgear AC1200 dual band router and it seems pretty impressive. It was very quick, great throughput and in the week I was there, not one single drop/connection/brain fart from it. I assume its been doing great since because I have not received any "tech support" type calls from them :whistle:

I have though about getting the same one for me, perhaps the AC1750 for the extra USB port but am curious what anyone else is using. I heard good things about the Asus RT N66 and AC66 but they really are about the same $$ and seem to get constant updates to the firmware. A good and perhaps bad thing in my eyes. I need something that works great, fast and will provide constant/consistent performance. The last thing I need is to replace it and constantly hear from the wife how the new one sucks as bad as the old one.

So with that, sorry for the lengthy write up but as you can tell I'm running a little more than your average home and need something that can handle all these devices. Any suggestions you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Zuk, As part of my job I am a WIFI systems architect. PM me with a good number where I can reach you w/agood time to talk and I might be able to help you out.

--Sky

None of it made much sense to me Zuk...except for the very last sentence at the bottom of yer post which is:

Thread killer, when I post they seem to die :banghead:

I did rear the entire post thou,each of us has a little bit of a hidden facination for self-abuse.:rofl:

Just kiddin',stoopid folks like myself often lash out at those we feel Inferior to.:1zhelp:

Good luck with the issue my friend.Now if yer toilet was plugged or you needed help changing a light bulb or wanted advice on the construction of a beer-bong...well then I'm yer guy. :smileyexhibit:

RSD.

First thing I would do is make sure any PC's don't have any virus's or trojans. I would then make sure the firmware on your cisco is up to date. I have a Cisco 1500 and have tons of devices also and everything runs without any problems.

What channels are you using for your wireless? Also, what is around you?

In the 2.4 GHz space, there are only 3 channels that don't overlap: 1, 6, 11. Anyone else around you could also cause interference.

Personally (and I don't have nearly that amount of stuff on my home network), as a general rule, the more stuff you can have wired the better off you are.

I'm with Robusa, I'd be checking for a virus and viewing traffic logs.

I can spend the next 20 minutes counting wireless devices and still probably forget a few. 99% just sit there idle and maybe transmit a few packets every now and then. There is no bandwidth being used.

You did mention an Airave. I'd be looking closely at that as a culprit too. I have a company supplied phone which gets poor coverage in my area. The company ordered one of those damn things from Sprint for me. First thing I noticed is the tag stating it's the property of Sprint. Then it's not a stand alone device like a Wii or Roku. It's hardwired so that every bit of data you receive and send is going through some device owned by a corporate giant. And lastly was the little GPS antenna that needs to be placed by a window. @#$% THAT!
Next day I stopped off at the office, dropped it on a desk and told them not now, not ever.

the ps3 and the computer are hard wired... the rest iphones n all...use the wifi

Zuk, As part of my job I am a WIFI systems architect. PM me with a good number where I can reach you w/agood time to talk and I might be able to help you out.

--Sky
Thanks! Sending you a PM

What channels are you using for your wireless? Also, what is around you?

In the 2.4 GHz space, there are only 3 channels that don't overlap: 1, 6, 11. Anyone else around you could also cause interference.
They are on those channels, nothing else around really we don't have full time neighbors on either side of us and the folks across the road is far away (200'+) Unless the fine folks on Plum Island are doing something crazy there isn't really any other sources. Wireless phones in the house are possible but the school is the only people that call on that number.

Could be something but not sure if I could change anything.

I'm with Robusa, I'd be checking for a virus and viewing traffic logs.

I can spend the next 20 minutes counting wireless devices and still probably forget a few. 99% just sit there idle and maybe transmit a few packets every now and then. There is no bandwidth being used.

You did mention an Airave. I'd be looking closely at that as a culprit too. I have a company supplied phone which gets poor coverage in my area. The company ordered one of those damn things from Sprint for me. First thing I noticed is the tag stating it's the property of Sprint. Then it's not a stand alone device like a Wii or Roku. It's hardwired so that every bit of data you receive and send is going through some device owned by a corporate giant. And lastly was the little GPS antenna that needs to be placed by a window. @#$% THAT!
Next day I stopped off at the office, dropped it on a desk and told them not now, not ever.

Definitely no virus or malware stuff here. Everything has been scanned, checked and has good protection. The airwaves I have was purchased so its mine. I noticed it was a drag on things but once I moved it, it's been great. I can change its settings online and have it covering the entire acre+ now. Service without it, we'll there isn't really any so if they are that lonely they can listen in. I do have it locked to only devices on my account though, so no random users parked out front abusing things.

Personally (and I don't have nearly that amount of stuff on my home network), as a general rule, the more stuff you can have wired the better off you are.
Pretty much if it has a network plug it has a wire in it now. :thumbsup:

When I set up networks I use a wifi scanner app to see which channels are being used in that area. I noticed a lot of people just plug in and go. Normally they don't even change the name of their router.

I run main router, watchguard 550e firewall with 6 AP's two being repeaters. Running QOS will help you prioritize traffic to really define what you want... I also use different frequencies like 5g for high end things like the TV or Netflix but the 2.4 for things like email or IPAD use.

Last edited:
My fear is all the video and multimedia mixed with work stuff this router is just not up to the task. I have plenty of n devices, no ac devices but the thought of moving to a dual band router is tempting. There is so much out there these days though it's hard to find ones that can handle a decent load vs kick ass for the two devices in the house that might watch YouTube and surf the web like champions. I don't need to run the neighborhood out of my house but I can't have something that seems to have brain farts as much as this one. It's been a great router for the past 2yrs or so, maybe it's just time to jump up the technology. The kids use their iPads for school (actually provided by the school) so every day there are several kids here, all doing video stuff, I suspect an ample amount of YouTube/Netflix during that time as well.

I like the VPN but could probably go without if I had to at home, I have a nice lab at work I could move things on to. The ddns and port forwarding is a must so I can keep cam monitoring working. I don't necessarily want to invest in anything enterprise grade but also now most consumer end stuff won't cut it. What models for routers, etc are you guys running?

None of it made much sense to me Zuk...except for the very last sentence at the bottom of yer post which is:

Thread killer, when I post they seem to die :banghead:

I did rear the entire post thou,each of us has a little bit of a hidden facination for self-abuse.:rofl:

Just kiddin',stoopid folks like myself often lash out at those we feel Inferior to.:1zhelp:

Good luck with the issue my friend.Now if yer toilet was plugged or you needed help changing a light bulb or wanted advice on the construction of a beer-bong...well then I'm yer guy. :smileyexhibit:

RSD.

My brain actually ached for a moment after I got all the way thru the first post. I have no idea what he said nor do I know why I read it. I'm some sort of info sadist I guess and like to read stuff I can't understand.

Zuk if you need any advise on G&A let me know. :laugh:

My brain actually ached for a moment after I got all the way thru the first post. I have no idea what he said nor do I know why I read it. I'm some sort of info sadist I guess and like to read stuff I can't understand.

Zuk if you need any advise on G&A let me know. :laugh:

Some of the folks on here are ridiculously smart. I love it. You can get an answer for just about anything on this site.

Yes it even rivals Google.

When looking for an answer don't google just org it.
45,593 answers in .0857372 seconds :laugh:

Back