Home Network question

Pipefighter248

Donating Member
Registered
Just wondering if anyone can answer a question.
Would like to extend the wireless home network and would like to know which way has better coverage and faster speeds.
Looked a little online and can't decide.
Would it be better to add another wireless router upstairs and use one in bridge mode, or buy one of the wireless range extenders and do it that way.
Modem is a speedstreem 4200, wireless router is a d-link wbr1310.
I currently have a desktop and a PS3 wired into the d-link router, but the wifey using the laptop upstairs, getting less then stellar performance.
CLICKY for the d-link brand extender.
Thanks.

lurk.gif
i have same prob. with same set up

The new "N" type routers seem to be working just fine for me.. they are a gigabyte router and come with pretty brain dead setups now.

DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router is the last one I bought...

That would be fine, but then I would have to upgrade the card in the wifey's laptop since it is only a g model.

the routers are backwards compatible.. the multiple antennae should provide a bit better signal too. Some speed issues are just related to the encryption. It takes more overhead and so the direct connection is typically faster than the wireless by nature..

are the N routers faster that the g models
I believe they are and supposedly the signal is better. Someone that knows for sure can chime in.
N is faster than G, but you need an 'N' card to get those speeds. Like Randy said, N is backward-compatible with G... Also, Nathan, you are correct, N routers, typically put out a stronger signal - so it's possible that your G speeds can improve with a stronger signal.

Something else to consider... Netgear makes a Powerline converter that will allow you to run ethernet over your existing power lines!

I have several of my users using these in their home-office setups. They work really well.

I believe they are and supposedly the signal is better. Someone that knows for sure can chime in.
N is faster than G, but you need an 'N' card to get those speeds. Like Randy said, N is backward-compatible with G... Also, Nathan, you are correct, N routers, typically put out a stronger signal - so it's possible that your G speeds can improve with a stronger signal.

Something else to consider... Netgear makes a Powerline converter that will allow you to run ethernet over your existing power lines!

I have several of my users using these in their home-office setups. They work really well.
I saw those converters, but they were getting bad reviews on a few places over the net.
As far as you know they do work good?
No one local sales them so I would have to buy online, and then worry about returning if they don't work.

So many choices.
Just wanting to get a better signal upstairs.

does this require that the 2 systems are on the same circuit breaker as well? (X10 was bad for this problem)

So what does everyone feel would be best without breaking the bank?
Put in a second wireless router; use a network extender, powerline converter like Omar posted; or just get a N wireless router and N card for the laptop?

does this require that the 2 systems are on the same circuit breaker as well? (X10 was bad for this problem)
HMM.
Good question. Didn't even think of that one.

Just found this on their website.
<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Outlets must be electrically connected in order for Powerline devices to provide a network connection between them.[/quote]

Cut a Pringles can in half. Then cut it down the middle. Take it and set it in front of your antenna so it reflects the beam towards the direction your wanting the beam to travel. You can even get really inventive and try this one.

LINKY

Yep, X10 stuff was like that and it was really a hassle some times..

Most access points cost as much as a router.. I guess you need to decide if you plan on upgrading at any time.. AP is going to be the cheapest but if you ever upgrade it is a throw away..

Tough choices ... I would go with the "N" this week... Next week could be different.
smile.gif

One more that explains it all in detail. What I was talking about is called a parabolic reflector. It worked for me in a huge place that we lived in overseas one of my guys was a computer geek and set it up.

LINKY

Definitley shovel out the Money for the 'N', you won't regret it... but the parabolic reflector is always worth a try too.

Back