Absolute failure in my eyes......

mracer29

Registered
I'm going to rant here cause I can't at thi time share it with the world on Facebook.

In my eyes I have witnessed absolute failure. He's a lil background on the story, I have been in the roofing business for 20+ years. Many years as an installer then in sales since 2002. In 2006 I went to work for a good friend, he had no other salesmen at the time. I have sold between 400 and 600 thousand dollars a year since I worked there. There has been many ups and downs, tons of disagreements over the years, but normally works itself out.

In 2006 there was a large hail storm I came back to ohio to work for Paramount sold lots, in 2008 there was a large windstorm, I brought on a couple sales guys I knew, he gathered a few guys he knew and we all made good money. In 2009 the wind blew again and created tons of work. We had a receptionist, a production manager, an administrator, an owner and a few sales guys. By 2010 almost all was gone except me, the receptionist and 1 sales guy, the owners wife took over administrator position. This leaving the production manager job on my back on top of a salesman position.

There was a small hail storm and the bother salesman wouldn't go canvas and the owner wouldn't help. Even though I was frustrated I went out and knocked as many doors as I could and brought in like 200,000 in sales. Since then everyone had left. A few of his daughters have worked as a receptionist here and there. As the down hill slide continued they left so all phone calls were being forwarded to my cell phone. Now I'm a salesman, productions manager, and a receptionist. On top of that we don't have any dedicated crews so if I sell something I have to round up a crew to do it, order materials, somewhat supervise the job, and collect the money. If any previous customers call with a leak or concern I have to go out and look at it, if there's an issue, I have to either Handle it or do paper work, then find a crew. Cause this part of the job as no potential commission I get a $300 dollar a month gas check. Other then that I get paid on a profit split of 50% that works like this,

Sell a job at $10,000
20% off the top for admin fee. -$ 2,000
Labor and materials ?????? -$ 6,000
Profit -$ 2,000
50/50 split we each get $ 1,000

Profit splits are normally between 6% and 12% but can be higher if jobs are sold high.

Man this I getting long sorry!

This year no year end bonus, didn't sell any less than last year. Had to beg for my gas check in feb. haven't got a gas check for march. Since I'm the only employee that does everything, I'm to blame for it all. Winter is always hit or miss around here, if you sell in dec jan feb your doing good. March is hit or miss and this year the weather sucks so no way I'm going door knocking in 30 degree temps.

If you have a company for 20 years and your office rent isn't paid, that's failure!

If you can't pay your employees but yet still expect them to work, that's failure!

If you arnt paying suppliers for materials when clearly every job materials are paid for by the customer, that's failure!

When you can't keep employees, that's failure!

When your ship is sinking and you do nothing but blame others rather then participate in any efforts to save it, that's failure

I'm not gonna go canvass, meet customers, sell jobs, order materials, search for a crew, be a production manager, collect the payments, bring the money to the office, for part of the profit. I might as well be in business for myself and sell the jobs 20% cheaper and make the same amount of money for the same amount of work, better yet sell 10% cheaper and make more.

Congratulations looser you failed. You lost a company, ill go work for someone else :-)

Go on your own! I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Sick of making money for a company that doesn't appreciate me.. My Titanic already hit its iceberg and I'm not missing out on a life boat! :beerchug:

If I sold 400,000 and they took 20% off the top that's $100,000. I made $51,000 so they should have made $51,000 so they made $151,000 the the office bills, insurance and stuff like that are not over $35,000 a yr so tell me again why were broke and you can't pay me?

Because they could not manage money. Sounds like you need to hang your own shingle (pun intended)....

Yeah, work on your own man...sounds like you know all of the ins and outs of the job!

It's funny, your list of failures makes me think about our gov't, both local and federal :banghead:

You need to start your own business. Stop kidding yourself. Be your own boss. YOu sound like a hard worker and a know how to get`er done kind of guy. Stretch your legs, grow, get out there and show them how it is done.

You need to start your own business. Stop kidding yourself. Be your own boss. YOu sound like a hard worker and a know how to get`er done kind of guy. Stretch your legs, grow, get out there and show them how it is done.

Owned a roofing co in Louisiana after Katrina, and a company called Disaster Tarp Services. Ownership comes with perks and headaches. Another problem is there are tons of roofing companies in Columbus Ohio.

Look up Kelly Brothers Roofing. They are good people and will treat you right. Also, add a couple zeros to the cost of your projects.

You fail if you dont take your 20 years experience and make your own way. 20 years working for anyone is too much.

Well it took me exactly one day to get a new job! Leave on Friday, hired in Monday. It's a good company and the office is located 5 streets from my house.

Forget a new company.. Be your own company. Register an LLC and join the ranks of small business owners. I realize I am echoing the comments of others here but brother, for heaven's sake, you were the entire operation. What exactly was the "boss" doing? Fleecing you and laughing all the way to the bank? If he was nearly as motivated as you, his biz wouldn't have tanked. Lazy S.O.B. used you like a slave. Do you need a good laborer? I am looking for a change...

To me going into business for yourself is the best thing for you. Seems like your rep and your past work will stand for itself. I only wish you the best and you are the only one that can look out for # 1 right?

I had to work at a job like this once. I was the GM and when I went out on a medical, the jerk (owner) had to fill my position and he hated it. I found a new job that paid more for less work while I was out and he chewed me out for it, going on about "company loyalty." I told him "I have no loyalty to a company that treated me so poorly, loyalty is earned not handed out." The company folded in 2 months after that.

Back