need tires soon..

AZIROC

Registered
i did a search b 4 i posted.. i know.. i know.. a newbie ACTUALLY using the search, yes.. shocking. anywho...

i dont NEED tires right now. but im sure in a month i will. when i did the search, the only thing that came up were pilot sports. both had good and bad things about them. personally, i have always had D208's. and so have everyone i ride with. a few people had the pilots and didnt like them at all. what are the brands i need 2 stay away from with this bike? personally, i do ALOT of highway driving... and the rare (maybe the once in a 4-6 weeks ill get out for a nice canyon ride). so treadwear is kind of a concern.. but grip is my most consern. any feedback is welcomed.

In my opinion the Pilot Power is an awesome street tire. Some even say it's good enough for track days. I've had Powers on both a busa and a 10R and I've absolutely LOVED them on both. I'm sold on Powers.
super.gif

Bought my latest set for the 10 locally in person at www.1888fastlap.com (Marietta Motorsports) as cheap as I could find them online. I bougth the ones for the busa from kneedraggers.com. Check http://www.tireexpress.com/ for their current deals. They usually have some sweet prices and I've heard nothing but good about them on other forums so far.
wink.gif

Some good deals to be had at <a href="http://www.calsportbike.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi">Cal Sportsbike<a>

Some good deals to be had at <a href="http://www.calsportbike.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi">Cal Sportsbike<a>
Not really... on the Powers anyway. $254 plus $18 shipping is more than I can get them for locally. The sweet price of $229 at Cal only applies to the 120/180 size package. It's +$25 to step up to the 190 rear.
rock.gif

Tire Express is only $218 for the 180/120 package.

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111789779 -->

last set I bought (yesterday) were pirelli diablo (finally gave into the peer pressure and gonna try them... and there will be a track day on them to really test them out too! )

$260 including installation at my local backwoods motorcycle place..

called extreme motorsports or something.. I dunno.. he's a good guy gets close enough to what I could order them for (once you add in shipping) and does a good job mounting them for $5 a tire when I buy a set, or $10 when I just buy one tire.

Plus he normally knows what I want as soon as he hears myvoice.. hehe

"Hey Danny, whats goin on?"

"Hey ego, just working a little bit.. bout time for tires I guess ain't it?

"Yep, you guessed it."

"What kind ya wanting this time?"

"Do ya need pads/oil whatever, or are ya good to go at the moment...?"

just a good guy that does exactly what he says he will.

If you're interested in longer tread life and can be honest with yourself about your capabilities, why not look at some of the more recent sport-touring tires to come out?

I ran AV45/46 AVONs on my 954, gave up virtually nothing by way of stick, got better wet weather performance, and longer lifespan over supersport rubber.

http://arizonamoto.com/Merchan....=AV4546

If you're interested in longer tread life and can be honest with yourself about your capabilities, why not look at some of the more recent sport-touring tires to come out?

I ran AV45/46 AVONs on my 954, gave up virtually nothing by way of stick, got better wet weather performance, and longer lifespan over supersport rubber.

http://arizonamoto.com/Merchan....=AV4546
I'm seriously considering a set of those Avons.

What kind of mileage did you manage to get out of them? Also do you think they are sticky enough to avoid wheel spin under WOT throttle runs on the Busa?

I hear they also include some type of road hazard warranty...anyone ever put it to the test?

stay away from the 208's. The only thing that I ever liked about them was that I knew when they were about to break traction. With the Powers I haven't had a single problem yet. Though they do have a more agressive profile so might not be the best tire for commuting. On your canyon runs they would be great though

Your kinda on the border line between a sport touring and a sport tire. If you do the twisties only once in a while at a medium to medium fast pace, then you should go with a good sport touring tire.

Here are my Powers after a few hundred miles of twisties. I finally got all the way over to the left edge and the right strip is just barely still there. Check out the photo of the middle section of the tire. The little rubber teets still haven't even worn off and I'm NOT babying it at ALL...
wink.gif

Left chicken strip... or where it USED to be.
biggrin.gif

power_left_strip.jpg

Right strip... soon to be GONE...

power_right_strip.jpg

Middle with rubber teets still hangin' on for dear life...
laugh.gif

power_middle_teets.jpg

The Powers just don't chew up and wear away like the D218's did. The Powers don't seem to get the little rubber "pills" no matter how hard I push them on the same roads that done THIS to the 218's...

IMG_0626_crop.jpg

+1 for the Michelin Pilot Powers...

Coming from 208s, you will NOT be disappointed.. I promise you that.
These tires blow the 208s out of the water in soooo many different ways, it's not even funny.
Ive ridden pilot sports, HPXs, sportech M1s, rennsports, D208s, pilot Races, D207s, and BT11/12...

The ONLY tire that might hold a candle to the POWERS is the pirelli diablo, which is very very similar to the sportechs, which is my 2nd favorite tire at the moment.... But it'll wear out in 1000 miles if your not careful!
If I could grab a set of pirellis, I would, but man I ain't buying nothing but powers until something better comes along...

I ABUSED my powers on the busa, they held in the corners, and held up reliability wise better than the rest of the bunch...
I just sold my busa with the powers on it, with about 1,000 miles on them.... nowhere close to half tread. I would expect they wouldve gone 2200+ miles... But that is just my educated guess, can't say that for sure.

I picked up a nail in my bridgestones on the gixxer this weekend... HMMM? Sounds like a good enuff excuse for me to get a set!
-Bill

The Pilot Powers are a great tire, but you can't compare tire wear on a litre bike with tire wear on a Busa. The 1K's are 100 lbs+ lighter and put out 20-25 ft lbs less as far as torque....the extra weight and torque of the Busa is why they eat up rear tires fast! And for the chicken strips....its much easier to get rid of them on a 1K than a Busa....I'm ridin' a Busa and a 1KRR.  
wink.gif

Continental's Force Max are running great 4 me... put'm on last summer and they hold on like glue.  They ride about 1-2" lower than stock, feels wierd at first.

<!--EDIT|CorrodedAlien
Reason for Edit: "picture"|1112027507 -->

Conti_Force.jpg

The Pilot Powers are a great tire, but you can't compare tire wear on a litre bike with tire wear on a Busa. The 1K's are 100 lbs+ lighter and put out 20-25 ft lbs less as far as torque....the extra weight and torque of the Busa is why they eat up rear tires fast! And for the chicken strips....its much easier to get rid of them on a 1K than a Busa....I'm ridin' a Busa and a 1KRR.
wink.gif
Maybe the D218's were just crap, but the 10 wore the D218 out much quicker than Train wore out the stock Bridgestone.
rock.gif
Of course I make up for a lot of the 100 lb difference, and I have lowered the gearing, in effect increasing torque multiplication... so maybe you're right and I just skewed the results.
biggrin.gif

Back