need recommendations for starter bike - ninja 250?

Where does it say she hated SVs? I reread it and still can't find that reference. Anyway, my daughter (26) also recently got into wanting her own and we looked at the 250s. See their redline? Its not that they're slow, its that to make them go, you have to ride em like a two stroke keeping the revs in the higher ranges.

My daughter picked out a used 03 SV650 (first yr for FI) with 10,000 on it and loves it. Cost less than a new 250 and she won't want to trade it off in a year. Remember, a 650 is a 40ci motor, the same size as the original Triumph Bonneville but with a 6 speed tranny and EFI. Plenty of power without the intimidation. Nearly a straight up riding position too. She commutes to college about 70 miles round trip daily. Its got Pilot Roads on it and corners great!

I taught my wife on a SV650 and she liked it.....but I sold it and got her a Katana for about 6 months and she traded it for a Hayabusa.....she drives the busa now. SV650 is a darn good bike for beginners.

Baybusa: Your wife would be way a head by taking either an MSF Basic class or signing up for the Riders Edge class at a local HD dealer. More expensive but more comprehensive. She will come away better equiped to ride whatever bike she selects. Secondary affect it could reduce your insurance premiums. The third positive is that she will get a lot of hands on field training in a short amount of time and she'll be able to decide if she really wants to be a pilot or a back seater (nothing wrong with either).

Above all else you'd be doing what all of us should be doing and that's mentoring in a positive way ie: making sure we start someone out in the right direction which an MSF or Riders Edge class will do. Just my opinion. Wardie:please:

I don't know if it is the same where you live, but in Kansas city we have several MSF classes that provide the bike to learn on. All use the 200-250 cc bikes to teach a beginner. Thats what my wife did, and it was great. That way if they do tip over, which is almost sure to happen, it's on the school bike and not yours. Our store provides bikes for such a class here, and they use the Honda Rebel 250, and Yamaha virago 250. After compleating the class, then she might be ready to move up to a bigger bike. Check out your community college and see if they offer the class. My wife is now riding her Yamaha 650 Vstar and loving it.

Baybusa: Your wife would be way a head by taking either an MSF Basic class or signing up for the Riders Edge class at a local HD dealer. More expensive but more comprehensive. She will come away better equiped to ride whatever bike she selects. Secondary affect it could reduce your insurance premiums. The third positive is that she will get a lot of hands on field training in a short amount of time and she'll be able to decide if she really wants to be a pilot or a back seater (nothing wrong with either).

Above all else you'd be doing what all of us should be doing and that's mentoring in a positive way ie: making sure we start someone out in the right direction which an MSF or Riders Edge class will do. Just my opinion. Wardie:please:

Thanks Wardie, yes, she wants to be a pilot and is already signing up for the MSF. As to insurance premiums, the ninja cost $14 per month for full coverage. Not a typo - it is that low in insurance. (we have house + multi-vehicle, etc.).

And thanks to all others - she picked the 250 in black herself. Her goal is not to be the fastest, but to learn proper techniques. I think the 250 will last at least a whole season. I'll put some driver impressions in a different post; it is really (as everyone says) a fun bike by itself, especially for beginners.

A 500 would be great. My friends wife is looking at getting one. She just finished the MSF course adn said the 250 felt small to her but she didn't want a 600. Good luck.

I started out on a Honda CBR 600 F3. Then I moved up to a ZX-9r. My cousin started on the Kawi 250 ninja and he didn't mind riding it. Good learning bikes.

I had a 08 Ninja 250 for about a month before I got the Busa. It was a great bike, but my girlfriends Honda Reflex was FASTER!!! I had to get rid of it after that....:whistle:
However, I can see how it would be a perfect starter bike. Its comfortable, looks good and got 60 mpg. Also, I sold it for $1500 more than I paid for it. :thumbsup:
408eced318b887f14b2d9ead945950d90_large.jpg

a 500 Ninja twin will run well and keep up with a lighter rider. Good weight, strong motor, depandable and you can find very low mile used bikes for a song. You can do some distance and low insurance rates makes this bike a real winner. I had a 250 and a 500 and my 500 would run down my friends R100RT (1000cc BMW). I'd give this bike two thumbs up. Wardie:thumbsup:

Back