Need real quick help

Pipefighter248

Donating Member
Registered
Need help.
I am having a hell of a time trying to get the front axle broke loose.
Just want to verify from the experienced. Facing the Hex side that you loosen on the axle. It does turn with normal thread right? As in counter clockwise to loosen?
If so, how in the world did you all get it broke loose. I have about lifted the bike out of the stands trying to turn it. I have beat on the wrench with a mallot and still no luck.
PLEASE I NEED HELP.

Sitting on the bike you loosen the right side. Loosen the 2 allen bolts on that side and leave the 2 on the left side alone. Get a box end wrench to use on the nut. It wont slip like a socket.

Right side if you are setting on the seat...

So it helps to loosen the Right side(on the bike) pinch bolts?
Guess I will have to try that. About to give up.

Also loosen the inboard allen bolt on the left side. This releases the pressure on the axle but if this is the first time you ahve taken off the wheel it will be stiffer than a Horny mans petter. But make sure you loosen the 2 alens bolts on the right and the inboard on the left and you should be able to break it loose.

You will have to remove the brake calipers to get the wheel off. Do not take the lines loose just the 2 caliper bolts per side 12mm wrench head. Usually you can just let the calipers hang. they dont weigh much..Tie them up if you are concerned or set them on a box or something you can fit under them with the wheel off.

So it helps to loosen the Right side(on the bike) pinch bolts?
Guess I will have to try that. About to give up.
Yeah just the right side pinch bolts.  When I was removing mine I made the mistake of loosening both sides and then couldn't figure out why the axle just spun.  Duh.
I did the same exact thing. Loosened all 4 pinch bolts. Seen it spinning, so I tightened all of them back up. That's why I didn't think to just loosen the right side.
idea.gif

You will have to remove the brake calipers to get the wheel off. Do not take the lines loose just the 2 caliper bolts per side 12mm wrench head. Usually you can just let the calipers hang. they dont weigh much..Tie them up if you are concerned or set them on a box or something you can fit under them with the wheel off.
Already knew that. Just for the life of me I couldn't get that dang axle broke loose. I will probably be down in the back for a few days cause of it. Live and learn.
Thanks again.

I fabricated my own little tool that I can carry in my onboard tool pouch to remove the front wheel. Works like a charm.

Mine was REALLY tight on my '03 the first time. Started to think it might be left-handed. Took a bit a bit of blue torque and a pipe wrench to break it free. Easier if you break it free, then put the bike on the stands.

Back