Changing Front Rotors This Weekend

03TBUSA

Registered
Ok so I'm changing the rotors this weekend. Just wanted to post the steps before I start in case I'm missing something, you guys can help out.

1) pull calipers and front fender
2) loose 2 sm screws on right side
along with axle with hex tool
3) loosen left side 2 sm screws
4) hold wheel up and pull axle out
remove wheel
5) replace rotors to torque specks
6) put everything back together

Just wanted to make sure I'm doing this right. I know I need to grease the axle but not sure how much grease and what type of grease to use. Any help or if you see I'm missing something, I would appreciate.
Thanks guys

Loc tite . Dont go crazy with it either a dad a do ya ! FYI sometimes a little heat applied to bolts makes removal easier as factory uses red loc tite so the heat releases it . Again dont go crazy 4 to 6 seconds on the bolt 3 to 5 "s away with a simple map gas torch

I'd leave the wheel in place and loosen the bolts on the discs first then take the wheel out.
Make sure everything is clean, run a thread chaser (not a tap!!!) through the holes then clean everything again.
Screw a couple bolts in the discs just enough to hold them to the wheel, then put the wheel in, Loctite the bolts and torque them.
That way you aren't chasing the wheel assembly around the garage or setting it down on a disc possibly bending it.
I use a paint pen to mark the bolts after I torque them and white engine assembly grease (Lubriplate) on the axle.
There is a procedure that has to be followed when tightening the axle pinch bolts, it is in the service manual.

I have never taken my fender off for a tire removal and +1 on loosening the rotor bolts before removing it off the bike. Rags to wrap calipers and bunjie cords to hold them out of the way is what I use.

TORQUE WRENCH!!!! Make sure you properly torque back the Rotor Bolts (16.5 Ft/lbs), the Axle (Manual says 72.5, but I use 68), The caliper bolts (28) , and the pinch bolts (16.5) (all specs for a GEN2)

There is a very specific procedure in the service manual for torqueing the front axle.
  1. Install the wheel and tighten the axle temporarily with both sets of pinch bolts loose.
  2. Install the brake calipers, torque and pump the brakes till they seat. Some people apply the front brakes firmly, then tighten the caliper bolts to ensure they are centered over the rotor.
  3. Torque the axle bolt using a wrench and a special tool to hold the axle.
  4. Tighten and torque the right side pinch bolts.
  5. Pump the front end a couple of times.
  6. Tighten and torque the left side pinch bolts. This method makes sure the forks are not pinched inward while torqueing the axle and gives the proper amount of free play in the hub stack.
This is all very clearly spelled out in the service manual; which I have in .pdf...

Back