Need opinion about riding in heavy rain

Jonah Hill Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

hit by a tornado on my Busa *

I pay careful attention to the weather and if rain is forecast I leave the bike home but of course occasionally I get caught in the rain but I don't deliberately ride in the rain. I ride for fun and relaxation and when it's pouring rain riding ceases to be fun and relaxing at least for me.

Tip # 326
In my tank bag I carry a couple pairs of 3xl nitrile gloves I got from Amazon.
Fits over both my summer gloves and my winter heated ones.
No leaks , good grip on the controls, no drying out your gloves for hours after a ride.

Click like and subscribe and hit that notification bell for more handy tips.

LOL

cheers
ken
PXL_20240125_025959822.jpg

PXL_20240125_030007739.jpg

PXL_20240125_030053435.jpg

I'm in South Florida and this time of the year it rains like that Forrest Gump scene in Vietnam. This will not stop me from riding every single day, I'd rather gear up and suffer through the weather before I get into a car for the trip to work. My question is this....When the road is heavy with rain, do you prefer to ride in the perimeters of your lane where the road is often lower because of tire wear from vehicles which means more standing water, OR do you ride in the middle of your lane where there may be less water as this section of lane is higher but has more oil and fluids from cars built up?
Curious to see what your answers are. I've taken several rider courses and read lots over the last 20 years but never found an answer to this, thanks.
I would rather ride in the least deep part of the water. Even then ride only at slower speeds. Deep water and faster speeds spell disaster.

Last edited:
Back