NEED INFO RIGHT AWAY ASAP ASAP ASAP

Yeah, all the pics from my threads are all gone!

--Wag--

Ok, this might be a tad off topic, but still on the forks...

Does anyone have a very educated guess as to the (O.D.) diameter of the aluminum spacer inside the fork?? Im guessin an inch and half?

Are you talking about the spacer on top of the spring?If so,closer to a 1 1/8 to 1 1/4.Just a guess,it's not that big in diameter.

yeah, proud dad. I was thinkin somewhere along those lines, but i've only seen a pic of it so i couldnt tell for sure.

Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Too late now but for future reference, loosen the caps while the forks are still installed and the triple clamps are still tight.

OK, I'm through for the night. So far the forks have won.

I got the top fork bolt off finally. Now for the life of me I can't get the spring spacer to compress. I decided to work on this a little more tomorrow. Right now I am frustrated.

It's always the simple jobs that cause the biggest pain.
The forks are no simple job.  However, you do need the right tool to get it goin' on.

Here's the thread you really need to use.  Customized professional Linky Thingy.

Good luck to you.

--Wag--
Thanks. I just built the little tool. Now I get to see how effective it is.
winkold.gif

OK, I'm through for the night. So far the forks have won.

I got the top fork bolt off finally. Now for the life of me I can't get the spring spacer to compress. I decided to work on this a little more tomorrow. Right now I am frustrated.

It's always the simple jobs that cause the biggest pain.
The forks are no simple job. However, you do need the right tool to get it goin' on.

Here's the thread you really need to use. Customized professional Linky Thingy.

Good luck to you.

--Wag--
Charlie's write up on this is excellent BTW.
thumb_up.gif

OK, life if good again. My fork seals have been replaced and the forks are in the triple trees.

I have to assume that it's normal for a very, very light coating of oil (a film basically) to remain after the forks are together again.

Before I replaced the seals they would leave a noticeable trail of oil on the legs. It seems that the leaking has stopped.

Oh, when I pulled the forks apart, the seals were in what looked to be perfect shape. They even felt good. No issues visually. I have to assume that the leak was caused from dirty fork oil.

Trust me, the oil was contaminated. There were miniscule particles of what was likely dust throughout the oil.

The job only took about 15 minutes once I built the right tool. However, without the tool, the fork seal job is impossible.

Thanks for all the help.

Back