need help with my new tires, power pures

hemi

Registered
installed a set of pilot power pure's about 1500 miles ago. So far not liking them too much. The bike just feels completely different with the new treads, but kind of hard to explain. When i am on a solid lean (freeway on ramp), it just feels like the bike shifts occasionally, like the tire is letting loose or somethin. Does it quite often actually, while in a turn, not being agressive at all, midway through the turn the whole bike feels like it shifts, like i hit a rock or patch of oil or somethin, not a great feelin. Quite a few times i have actually thought one of my wheels were loose or somethin, torqued everything down and still the same. Air pressure has been a bit low in the rear a few times, about 34-36 psi, but wouldn't think that would cause an issue. What do u guys think, i would hate to replace the tires bc i just bought them, but they don't really give me the "safety" feeling like the bike is gonna hold the turn when i have her leaned over. Had the normal pilot power 2ct's on my gsxr 750 and absolutely loved those, and these are supposed to be the top of the line pilot powers!!

This tire is supposed to have superior grip. Might be a stupid question but is the tire mounted with the thread going in the right direction?

The bike calls for 42 psi cold. Make sure they are up to snuff. I run the pilot powers and have no such problem

interesting, thanks for the post. Seems like he was having the same issue i am where i was checking to make sure my wheels/hardware are good and tight. Maybe i just need to get used to the feel of the tires, i guess?

These tires are lighter than other brands and its recommended to keep the pressure to factory (42-42) or they will lose integrity (the air pressure is what the tires depends on mainly to keep their shape due to light weight and reduction in sidewall material) i almost got them but decided to go with Pirelli Rosso Corsa as the busa is not a light bike

i always keep the pressure at 42, just noticed a few times when i checked the rear it was down to about 36. Maybe that's my issue, i'll keep a close eye on the pressure to always make sure it's about 42 psi and see if that helps

Your not the only one who feels off with this brand... but squirmy in feel when pushing it... thats what I feel! I dont like it... you really cant tell if this tire is telling you are that you are close to loosing it, or this is normal charactor of it! I am running 34/34psi. I ran lower pressures 30/30 32/32... and do not like. But havent gone higher then 34... may try 38. I

Last edited:
Can you check the manufacturing date maybe they are old and have been sitting to long before they sold them to you.

Just about 3,500 miles on my rear Pure....It did seem a little wiggly at first..it's a 180/55..
does great on the track..but does great abit greasy when hot...if rolling on abit too much throttle at the turn exit..other than that i will put another one on there....it's holding up well and have had a great 2010 season with it.

Last edited:
A couple of track day pic's

IMGP5547.jpg

IMGP5548.jpg

I agree with the others, you MUST have decent air pressure in the tire. They are lightwieght and need that air to stiffen them up. If your running 42 to 46 and they still have that slip feeling, then something is seriously wrong. Don't forget the new Dunlop Q2 tires are the cats ass supposedly for a hot street tire. Good Luck and let us know what you find out after running them with 42+ lbs of air.

had to work today, so i rode the busa in. About 80 miles round trip and the tires felt pretty good, didn't seem to "shimmy" once on me in a turn. Of course i was taking it pretty easy bc i've been a bit nervous lately taking turns too hard with the way they have been reacting to the road. Gonna air them up tonight and ride to work again tomorrow, i'll see if that helps. Kind of sucks when you're afraid to lean too much in a turn bc you're not sure if the tire will decide to slip and toss u, it's like they have a mind of their own:laugh:

I have read several articles about these tires, all seam to have the same complaint (they just don't feel well planted). There is a good article on Dunlop's website, compares the Bt016s, Pures and Q2s. I picked up a set of Q2s, just have not mounted them yet..

I must be the only guy that likes the Pures... I got 1700 twisty miles out of a set this Spring and never had any complaints. I ran a 190/55 on the rear and the bike was like a whole new machine in the corners. I quickly ground off my peg feelers, but never had any grip issues. 36F/38R for me. I did run a set of Q2's for about 100 miles after the Pures, but my crash cut them short. Until that point, I was not loving the Dunlops like I had been the Michelins. Even with a 190/55, they weren't as eager to lean over as the Pures. I never had the chance to push the Q2's hard, so I can't really speak for their grip.

Back