help needed, loose steering

gregsbusa

Registered
I have a 08 with 7k miles on it. Over the past few months I have noticed that the steering seems to have gotten loose. When leaning into a turn, left or right, the steering falls very easily with the lean of the bike. I took it into the dealership and the shop manager took it for a ride and his answer was new tires. Well a new set of tires later and it feels like its getting worse. My thought was loose steering head bearings, there is no noise or clunking in the front end. I am just frustrated because I have no confidence in taking this thing into a good lean into a turn. Whats the correct procedure for checking the torque on the head bearings.

Check the manual posted at the top of the gen2 section if noone has a specific answer.

Kinda a longshot is any fluid leaking from damper?
Posted via Mobile Device

It could be your factory damper is worn out... head bearings will have tight spots or noise most of the time. You can get the weight off the front wheel and feel for any play in the neck. I think it's damper related...

I would check the damper too. Start small and work your way up. I would think head bearing would be a long shot, but you never know.

I pulled the damper off and it has decent resistance, how much resistance should it have to push and pull the rod.

Never had mine off... does the steering feel even looser or the same? Listen for any noises on back and forth movement. Did this bike get wheelied a lot?

Not to sure but the nature should be what similar to a "shock" on a car. The more rapid forceful the cycles the tougher it should be.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back