Steering Head Bearing... To tight?

turbobusa2000

Registered
Hey People, I replaced my steering head bearings with these tapered bearings. ALLBALLS RACING STORE - Steering Bearing Kit
I installed them and they seem to be high quality pieces. I torqued everything down following the service manual instructions.

My question is how much resistance should I have? Anyone have an idea of how to tell if the steering head bearings are to tight? It feels smooth and tight, with a little resistance.

I have only replace steering head bearing one time. As I remember, I went from ball to tapered as well and tightened to spec, but there was not any resistance with the new bearings. I hate to ask the obvious, but have you already replaced your steering damper and is that causing the resistance? The bars should turn freely. Are the bearings making any noise when you turn the bars?

My manual page 6-37 shows the bike suspended, with the steering damper removed, and a spring scale used to move the steering side to side.
Initial force should be 200-500 grams.
Less is too loose and more is too tight.

Those bearings are going to be my next mod when I get to it.
Good choice IMO

Last edited:
No, steering dampner was removed when I checked free play. I'm not saying there is resistance, maybe that was a bad word to use.
Basically it rolls freely, I think I'm making something out of nothing. I just don't have the suzuki special tool to measure its resistance to rotate.

Here is the page from the manual.
I'm not a fisherman, but I think a spring type fish scale may work if it measures low enough.
I have seen those scales around before.
I will have to look for one too when I do it.

Steering Head.jpg

Those bearings are going to be my next mod when I get to it.
Good choice IMO
Dont' waste your money or time if your steering head bearings aren't worn out. Replacing them for the sake of having a set of All Balz is kind of silly. Falls under the category of don't fix what ain't broke. It ain't a mod, it's unecessary maintenance.

If you don't have the spring scale to measure fall-away, then do it by hand. W/out the steering damper in place, tighten the top nut to the point that it takes gentle hand pressure to turn the steering head left to right, vice versa. Back off a 1/4 turn and then place the top tree on and secure as the manual says. Fall away w/ the top tree and wheel in place should gently move away from your hand after starting it. No flop. Put the steering damper back in place and check again. That's your final test. Should be smooth and non-restrictive, not like it's flopping away to the lock. And for God's sake don't do it w/ the wheel in place. You'll need two people just to tighten the top nut; 1 to hold the forks in place, the other to tighten. Take the wheel out and you can hold the forks/bottom tree in place w/ one hand and hand-tighten the top nut.

Last edited:
Dont' waste your money or time if your steering head bearings aren't worn out. Replacing them for the sake of having a set of All Balz is kind of silly. Falls under the category of don't fix what ain't broke. It ain't a mod, it's unecessary maintenance.

I agree this is not a “mod’. Bad use of the word.
This is however a serviceable item.
As some have experienced these bearings fail, and service may extend their life, and the overall performance (handling) of the bike.

Page 1.25 of Haynes manual:
Over a period of time the grease will harden, or may be washed out of the bearings by incorrect use of jet washers.
Disassemble the steering head for re-greasing of the bearings.

Now some of us old wrenchers like to play with our toys, almost as much as riding them (well for the 6 months that some of us don’t get to ride anyway).
If I am going to take the time, effort, and expense (special tools) to take apart the whole steering head to inspect or re-grease the steering head bearings, and while I have it all apart, I can replace all of them with a superior set of bearings for only $35, it makes sense to do so to me.
Unnecessary maintenance – maybe,
value and peace of mind for my $35 –you bet.

Hey: Welcome!

:welcome:

Now some of us old wrenchers like to play with our toys, almost as much as riding them (well for the 6 months that some of us don’t get to ride anyway).
If I am going to take the time, effort, and expense (special tools) to take apart the whole steering head to inspect or re-grease the steering head bearings, and while I have it all apart, I can replace all of them with a superior set of bearings for only $35, it makes sense to do so to me.
Unnecessary maintenance – maybe,
value and peace of mind for my $35 –you bet.

Hey: Welcome!

:welcome:
For those of us that can do it ourselves, yes. I've run into too many folks, however, that pay more than $200 to replace $35 neck bearings when there was absolutely no reason to. As well the guys that thought they gained HP by installing them. Different is the swinger on my Gixxer 1100 was working just fine... until I installed a 'busa one in it a few weeks ago. Why? Cause I determined I could... and it looks sooooooooo much cleaner. Now trying to fit TL1000R fairings, and having a much harder time. But I enjoy it, keeps me sane and allows for creativity that I can't always express at work.

Thx for the welcome. Long time rider, just new to the forum looking for info. :beerchug:

Last edited:
For those of us that can do it ourselves, yes. I've run into too many folks, however, that pay more than $200 to replace $35 neck bearings when there was absolutely no reason to. As well the guys that thought they gained HP by installing them. Different is the swinger on my Gixxer 1100 was working just fine... until I installed a 'busa one in it a few weeks ago. Why? Cause I determined I could... and it looks sooooooooo much cleaner. Now trying to fit TL1000R fairings, and having a much harder time. But I enjoy it, keeps me sane and allows for creativity that I can't always express at work.

Thx for the welcome. Long time rider, just new to the forum looking for info. :beerchug:

Cheers back brother. :beerchug:

Well I learned from this thread.. Cheers to both of you and a welcome to the newbee.. :beerchug:

Back