need help removing fairing

bullybull

Registered
can anyone tell how to remove fairing from 09 busa need to install CHROME FAIRING SCREENS GRILLS and install chrome foot peg brackets thanks

you have to take the bolts out of the side
part of he top panles that cover the air ducts and the inner parts by the coolers
upper and sides , its apain in the but but yea you just start takeing things apart !

FIRST BEFORE YOU START.
LOOK AT IT, ALL AROUND, INSIDE AND OUT.
CHECK THE LINES, EVEN TAKE A PIC OT TWO IF YOUR MEMORY SUCKS LIKE MINE.
FEEL IT WITH YOU HANDS , ESPECIALLY UP IN THE INNER FAIRING AREA.
THESE PANELS ARE THE ONES THAT GIVE MOST A HARD TIME.
FEEL THE SEAMS WITH YOU HANDS AND GET FAMILIAR WITH IT .
THIS WAY WHEN YOU PUT IT BACK TOGETHER YOU WILL KNOW IF IT IS RIGHT OR NOT.

I have done it so many times I can take each one off in five minutes or so.
Back on in about 10.

Ready:
Here goes.

On the bottom of bike pop out 2 push plugs.
If you dont know how to do this you have to pry the top out with a screwdriver or something . Once it pops you will be able to pull it out.
Inside of fairings the chin skirt itself has two push pins, one on each top side of it.
Take these out as well.
On the top of bike remove pop out push pin on frame.
This one is on the black trim piece.
Take out chrome allen head bolt as well as dark colored head bolt right there near push pin.
Next take out lower allen head side bolts on fairings themselves.
Next take out middle allen head bolts on both fairings.

Inside each fairing you have to take out the inner side panels as well as lower chin skirt.
each inner side panel HAS 2 PUSH PINS.
One in the front you can easily see and one in the back.
Facing bike look up into the inner fairings.
Left side of bike will be your right.
Look up and back in on top of inner panel with a flashlight and you will see the rear push pin.
When you find the one for this side it will give you and idea of where the other one is because that one is hidden behind the inner panel a bit.
You cant see it , only feel it.
Need to pop in center and remove it out carefully .
Dont drop it or it may disappear.

Ok now you have all push pins and bolts out.
First thing you should do is from below carefully pull the right side fairing out just a bit.
What you are trying to do is free it from the chin skirt just a bit.
Pull fairing out only a couple inches slowly and then it will pop out a bit.
When this happens you should be able to pop out inner panel on same side .
Once you get this out lift up chin skirt from same side and wiggle it a bit.
Go over to other side of bike.
Now that you have right side fairing out a bit as well as that sides inner panel out and chin skirt loose you can wiggle left side inner panel out.
When you get the two inner panels as well as chin skirt out then and only then are you ready to take fairings off.

On top CAREFULLY lift the fairing from the inside of black trim panel next to tank.
You have to pull the top UP first as there is a keeper that plugs into a bushing there. With a light you can see it . Look at it before you try so you know how to do it. LIFT UP OR YOU WILL BREAK IT.
Lift up carefully and once you can see that plug has popped out and off you can start wiggling the fairings off.

I say wiggling cuz there is not other way to describe it.
Each fairing has 3 push plugs that hold it on as well as fasteners you took out before.
The one on top you have to LIFT UP AND OUT and then the two side ones simply pull out.
When all three of these push plugs are 'out' you can take them off.

Right side:
Holding fairing in both hands.
With you left hand slowly raise fairing while slowly pulling it with your right hand down and out.
You have to raise you left hand a bit so the top black trim panel frees itself and slide out under nose panel and trim on it.

SLOWLY....SLOWLY....SLOWLY....

Left side..well its a pita anyway you look at it but pretty much the same.
This time while holding it with both hands slowly lift your right hand while pulling back and down.

Tips:

Helps if you are sitting down right there with arms up instread of standing with arms down.
On left side it helps if you can reach up in under headlight and help it to free itself.

Getiing it back together is reverse.
Put it all together.
Put in inner panels as well as chin skirt.
Make sure the panels and chin skirt fit right.
Some tabs go in some go out but together they will line up smooth.
To get them back together you need to 'squeeze' the panels with the fairing in you fingers and they will 'pop' back together.

Check all for fit and alignment and then put back in push plugs as well as allen head bolts.

I say all this from memory as not 1 hour ago I did it myself.
The 1st time I was cursing like you could not believe at my Japanese Puzzle.
1st time maybe 45mins for each side.
Now like I said I can do it in 5 mins.

Practice makes perfect..

SLOWLY.SLOWLY..SLOWLY...SLOWLY

DONT HURRY.

:thumbsup:

FIRST BEFORE YOU START.
FEEL IT WITH YOU HANDS , ESPECIALLY UP IN THE INNER FAIRING AREA.
THESE PANELS ARE THE ONES THAT GIVE MOST A HARD TIME.
FEEL THE SEAMS WITH YOU HANDS AND GET FAMILIAR WITH IT .

Damn and I thought me and Misty were close.

Like a horse you need to rub her first to let her know all is well.
Also need to rub her while saying 'Please Jesus...Please Jesus.'

I dont know guess its the gunnut in me.
Like to be able to do things by feel without seeing them.
Never know when you may be blind and have to assemble your buddies weapon for him...:laugh:

Hey saiid what are the two inner push pins you refer to as hidden? I can't remember any of the plastic pins being hidden. The only two I can think of are the two oversized push pins on the inner fairing that attach them by the upper?
Posted via Mobile Device

Like a horse you need to rub her first to let her know all is well.
Also need to rub her while saying 'Please Jesus...Please Jesus.'

I dont know guess its the gunnut in me.
Like to be able to do things by feel without seeing them.
Never know when you may be blind and have to assemble your buddies weapon for him...:laugh:

Mental note: Keep an eye on Blanca Busa if he is around Misty :laugh::laugh:

Dito for what Blanca says.....Go Slow!
There is a flow to the order of taking it apart
Have a spot planned out and padded to place your fairing when you get it off
Put all pins and tabs together in a specific place

When putting the fairing back on.......Go Slower! I think getting it back together is more troublesome.....higher chance of scratching the fairing from the tab clips IMO......especially when trying to get the tabs to line up and inserted.

Blanca had a couple of really good points. The first one was to just take your time and look at the bike before you start the tear down process. The second is take a pic of the everything you have to tear apart if you're not sure if you will remember how to get it all back together. I would even go so far as to get some small baggies and label them with where they came from to help out even more. Good luck with getting the work done.

Hammer and pry bar works most of the time... If it's really on there you might need to kick it a few times or maybe use some heat...

Mattstang there are a total of 6 push pins that have to come out from inside.

2 on chin skirt- 1 on each top corner.
2 on the top of each inner panel. 1 is toward front of bike and the other is back in there behind the forks. Both inner panels have a little loop in them that a plastic guide rod goes thru in top back corner as well.
Facing bike shifter side will be your right. Look back up and into shifter side behind fork at what would be the top left corner of the inner panel. You will see the 2nd push pin for this side.
On rear brake side, look back up and into it. On what would be the top right corner of inner panel there is the 2nd push pin. You cant see it only feel it. It is behind the inner panel just a bit, right over the little guide rod you can see. In the same area as reservoir bottle. First time it took me like 20mins to get it out and 30 to get it back in.
Another way is to leave this pin in and carefully remove right side fairing. Once you get fairng off you will see push pin right there and easily be able to remove it.

The power point show I dont agree with.
I did forget the bellypan aspect cuz I have removed mine and relocated regulator.
But this PP show makes no mention of how to lift and remove top plug on fairings.
It will not simply fall of as it states and you need to lift up and off or YOU WILL BREAK SOMETHING !
Also I do not know what 10mm bolt he is talking about having to acces with an extension to remove.
I have never removed any such bolt ?

X2 on the 10mm bolt. I've heard that twice now and had my bike stripped 3x now and still dunno.

The push pins you're talking about I still dunno unless mine are in backwards or not there or something.

I can remember

2push pins by nose for chin skirt. 2 at the top of each side inner. By where the rod goes though.
And two down by the oil cooler.

Couldve left out the ones you're talking about on reassembly though lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

ok by saying you dunno I'm sure was a hidden challenge to see how quick I could get pics for you ?
Sittin down stradlin the front wheel with both legs flashlight held by toes iphone pics just for you :welcome:

PUSH PINS FOR FAIRING 001.jpg

PUSH PINS FOR FAIRING 006.jpg

PUSH PINS FOR FAIRING 003.jpg

PUSH PINS FOR FAIRING 005.jpg

PUSH PINS FOR FAIRING 007.jpg

PUSH PINS FOR FAIRING 004.jpg

Back