My vortex sliders look funky

this is the right side.............
The slider base is more than halfway through the plastic.
This is why it looks funky..............
I will remedy by adding a spacer on the left side. This will even up both spacers so they don't look funky.
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|guido4512
Reason for Edit: "funky"|1150372348 -->

Dsc00485.jpg

Big T - is that a "carplug" (with the bottom cut out) behind your slider?
It looks extra clean.

What size? If I may ask.

Big T - is that a "carplug" (with the bottom cut out) behind your slider?
It looks extra clean.

What size? If I may ask.
Nope not a carplug.

Story line:
I used a Dremel to cut the hole for my sliders but I didn't like the look of it. The hole wasn't a circle. It was more like a dropped egg. My original idea was to use the circular cutouts from a computer desk that allow a user to run the cables behind the desk but they weren't flexible enough.

I came across some pics of mzrsq's bike here on the .org and I saw exactly what I was looking for so I sent a PM. (thanks again mzrsq)

It's Lockhart Phillips Windscreen Trim. It cost me $5 from my local dealer and it comes in various colors. It's good and flexible.

The picture is the right side. I haven't perfected the left side yet due to the pesky bolt hole being in the way so I have to go back to the drawing board for that one and tailor it to fit.

Are the silver Vortex aluminum? If so how well did the polish up? I want them to match my swingarm slider spools.

rear_spools_johnc.jpg

Hey T. I bought those from Postal and he bought them in a auction RSD was running. . I dont think he saw alot of biz so he doen't swing by the org no more. I will add his sale post.
Contact info in sliders

<!--EDIT|06BUSA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150418976 -->

Ok check this out...........

I found a spacer that would even up my sliders. But there's a problem.....................

Big T also gave me an idea on edge trim. I used whats called a "carplug" which is a plastic plug used to fill /plug drain holes in vehicle trunk/ floorboards.

See pic
I used a utility knife to trim the bottom out of the 1 3/4" carplug.

Dsc00493.jpg

Then i slipped the carplug over the slider to check fit.
This an old plug - I believe autozone has these on the shelf.
Also I made a 13mm x 24mm spacer with a 10mm hole. This presents my problem.

Dsc00494.jpg

The plug fits nicely in the hole. This was needed because on the right side I flaked a little paint off when I made the slider hole. (It peeled up with the tape just a little around the edge)
It would also work if your hole is not perfectly round...................
oh -also, I trimmed a little off the edge next to the fairing bolt hole to see what it would look like.

<!--EDIT|guido4512
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150459774 -->

Dsc00496.jpg

Now my problem is that I added a spacer and effectively lost 1/2" of thread contact area on the engine bolt. In other words- my bolt is 1/2" short of what the factory designed here.
So what i need is a longer (1/2") bolt but I can't find that thread size.
mad.gif

Any help?
rock.gif

Dsc00497.jpg

Big T- I got lucky on the spacers. They are aluminum and same size as the base for the Vortex sliders. The spacers are actually washer for a Profile BMX hub. Shoot me a PM and I'll send you a couple.

Gunnys shop had to use spacers on the short side (can't remember which). What is cool about his install is that the shop only made the hole big enough for the base bolt, not the slider itself. Some cool work there
beerchug.gif

hbr:

PM sent. Thanks!

guido4512:

Nice setup! That is nice and simple. I'll check my local mom and pops hardware store this weekend and see what they have for you. What size is the thread? If ya don't know I'll just take my slider off when I get there. I'll be in touch so check your PM this weekend or shoot me a PM w/ your contact # and I'll let you know what I find so you can sleep easy.
smile.gif

hbr:

PM sent.  Thanks!

guido4512:

Nice setup!  That is nice and simple.  I'll check my local mom and pops hardware store this weekend and see what they have for you.  What size is the thread?  If ya don't know I'll just take my slider off when I get there.  I'll be in touch so check your PM this weekend or shoot me a PM w/ your contact # and I'll let you know what I find so you can sleep easy.  
smile.gif
That's my problem bro!
I know the dia. is 10mm
But the pitch is ? Don't know - it's pretty fine.
The length should be 1/2" longer.
Any clue?

rock.gif

Where's hogger!? He has the fiche and should be able to tell us the thread of the original bolt.

I'll PM him and report back.

hogger said:

Nothing in the fische. Just says bolt/upper fairing. I dug out one of mine and a die. 6mm x 100 die. Fits like a glove. This should be the pitch/size. Length on your end.

actually the bolt is a 6mm. The pitch is 100.

Let me know if it works.
[/QUOTE]

<!--EDIT|BiG-T
Reason for Edit: "updated quote"|1150484730 -->

Back