My vortex sliders look funky

guido4512

Donating Member
Registered
I installed vortex 2 pc. aluminim sliders last night. The install went perfect well almost - got the holes just right but a little paint was pulled up from the hole edge when I removed the tape on the right side
mad.gif
After replacing the fairing, I notice that the right side sticks out much further than the left. You can see alot of the slider base on the right but none of the base on the left? What gives? The Vortex sliders were both the same size. Normal?
rock.gif

That's normal. If you noticed, the right bolt that came w/ the slider is longer than the left thus causing it to stick out farther.

Post up some pics, but yes one side is going to be longer than the other. Where did you install the sliders? We have had a rash of people take thier scoots to a stealership and have had the sliders installed at the top/edge of the fairings... if it looks like AZZ then it is probably wrong...

Post up some pics, but yes one side is going to be longer than the other.  Where did you install the sliders?  We have had a rash of people take thier scoots to a stealership and have had the sliders installed at the top/edge of the fairings... if it looks like AZZ then it is probably wrong...
Uh, no, I made sure that they were in the right place (been here long enough to know!).
laugh.gif

I just thought that one slider base should be taller(longer) than the other but both were the same. I was thinking maybe Vortex screwed up and gave me two lefts or something.
Sorry no pics. I'll maybe get some over weekend.
cool.gif

Yours should look something like Gunny's.  

My holes aren't that neat but you get the idea.

It is there because they are mass produced and the right side one on most bikes is longer to protect your pipe a little bit better. My brothers GSXR1k was the same way and the directions stated to put the longer spacer on the right.

You're right. It does look "funky". The right side base should be shorter, but the manufacturers have created one-size-fits-all sliders. I couldn't stand how it looked so I cut the right side down so it would look correct. It was an easy mod on the LP sliders.

Now, I'm confused..... After looking at Gunny's install - his bases are much farther away from the frame of the bike than mine. Does he have spacers behind the bases?
My left base only peeks thru the fairing and the right base is about halfway thru the fairing. I had to use a 1 3/4" saw. There's no way I could have gotten away with a smaller hole like Gunny's - the base would have crushed the plastic when I tightened them down. I wonder what the difference is?

BTW Gunny - Extra sweet install!
cool.gif

Wow... just looked at those sliders on Gunny's bike. Awesome... who makes those and where do we order from...?

I think i'm gonna turn one side down a little on the lathe and make a spacer for the other side to even them up. I may need a longer bolt.......... and the thread size is?
rock.gif
???
10mm x pitch? Who knows?

Post up some pics, but yes one side is going to be longer than the other.  Where did you install the sliders?  We have had a rash of people take thier scoots to a stealership and have had the sliders installed at the top/edge of the fairings... if it looks like AZZ then it is probably wrong...
I've seen frame sliders installed the way you mentioned. Through the top part of the fairing and it does look Noobish. Uber-Noobish .

I pmmed Gunny to ask for advice. I will be installing my sliders tonight.
gs - please post pics when u do!
When u lay that drill bit on yer plastics yer gonna cringe a little.
Then when yer done you'll say : " and to think .......... I hesitated." heh heh
tounge.gif
I am drilling a small hole and then going at the rest with a dremel tool.

Used a protractor to draw a neat round circle.

Going to drill a small hole at the center (just big enough to admit the dremel tool)

Using the dremel tool to work away at the material until I hit the circle.

Use auto beading to encircle the hole (looks better that way). Already sprayed the beading red to match my fairing color.

I hope it works according to plan...we'll find out soon enough. Received my Scorpio alarm so I dont know which one I want to install first
smile.gif

That's normal.  If you noticed, the right bolt that came w/ the slider is longer than the left thus causing it to stick out farther.
The fairing is closer to the engine mount on that side. The left side has a lil bubble there. Mine is the same way.....................and unfortunately tested...........................zero damage however!!!!
laugh.gif

I think i'm gonna turn one side down a little on the lathe and make a spacer for the other side to even them up. I may need a longer bolt.......... and the thread size is?
rock.gif
???
10mm x pitch? Who knows?
Ok ,
Who can tell me the thread size of this bolt? I can't find one.............................
rock.gif

rock.gif

Back