My response to Sport Rider Magazine newsletter, dated November 25, 2014

IG.

Registered
The newsletter contained the link to the video, followed by these words:

Kawasaki’s Ninja H2R spits flames on the dyno and then makes a few runs down the airstrip in the latest video for the 300-horsepower monster. If you haven’t watched the video yet, then drop what you’re doing and hit the play button. Now!

I got somewhat emotional, and replied with this:

Dear Sportrider,

Just got your newsletter in my inbox. Do you really believe in your own words when talking about H2R in action and then suggesting to “drop what you’re doing and hit the play button. Now!â€. I trusted your words, and dropped what I was doing – only to be disappointed. I watched the 1.5 min of this marketing non-sense, which contained maybe 15 seconds of actual riding in a straight line, shot from different angles. My good old 2006 Hayabusa with stage 1 turbo and measly 242 HP at the rear wheel can do that all day long. However, I don’t have to crouch like that poor rider in Kawasaki commercial who is probably as small as a kid. As a matter of fact, below 150 mph I don’t even make too much effort to tuck in – that’s how aerodynamic my bike is. Above 150 mph – that’s another story. Still with the stock wheel base, she is doing pretty good during track days, too – no complaints, just compliments from other riders. And by the way, could you enlighten me with the actual horsepower numbers at the rear wheel for the H2R, please. Better yet, print the dyno-chart showing the power at the rear wheel . And while you are at it, how about the same info regarding the H2 – the detuned sibling?

You know what kind of video would really impress me, and what would really captivate my imagination? Real life riding, front casually leaving the ground, sliding rear, elbow and shoulder dragging while doing that, chunks of rubber flying from the rear tire – and all of that in slow motion… You get my drift… I can’t imagine none of the marketing gurus thought of that, and therefore I come to only one conclusion…

The new Kawasaki model should’ve been named H2O because once scrutinized, most of the things about it don’t hold water. Neither does your suggestion to “drop what you are doingâ€. It would be inappropriate to tell you what I dropped in order to watch the video, but I can tell you that it wasn’t worth it. I sincerely hope that H2 model has a good history ahead, and won’t have anything in common with Hindenburg disaster. This concludes the extent of my expertise in chemistry – I had a bad chemistry teacher, and in the wrong country.

Some writers to you start their letters by expressing their doubts whether their letters will be published. Instead, I end my letter thanking you for publishing my response despite being a tad sarcastic. The rest of the newsletter was quite interesting. Thank you very much!

Best Regards,
Igor G.
Long Island, NY

I'll reserve judgement until I see some real road tests. At first glance, this looks more like a "proof of concept" machine or an engineering exercise (ala NR 750) rather than a real production ready machine. I could be wrong, 'though, Kawi have been known to get a bit wild at times. I would have been more excited with a 500cc supercharged twin with about 125hp in a 350 pound package. I look at this new H2 and think: meh. :dunno:

It's a marketing bike. Nothing more. Perhaps they can do something useful with the tech down the road. Till then, this is what it is - a limited edition small quantity bike built for the purpose of advertising.

The H2R is nice, but not nice enough to justify the lack of warranty or the price tag. The maintenance schedule is pretty harsh too. I bet anyone with a boosted busa making 100 hp more than that, doesn't need anywhere near the same level of maintenance.

The H2 is just OK, but it's heavier and barely matches the power similar NA 1000cc bikes generate. Even if they've underestimated the power and it ends up dynoing 240 hp, it's still hard to justify the 25k price tag when looking at the raw numbers. Well, I take that back, it might be worth it if it exceeds the initial power numbers by a large margin, or ends up being easily tuneable. But it would need more power just for the extra weight, and that still costs some agility.

I have no doubt that you'll be able 2 get a lot more HP out of the H2. Pipe, tune, ecu unlock, etc. But the more you tweak. &mod on a bike like this the warranty will be null & void.... not to mention you pay almost $30k on a bike and then you gonna have 2 put a couple more grand in2 it ??? That's an awful lot of $$$

Well thought out and written letter.

I have no skin in this game, but it would be nice to ride someday.

It appears to be purely a marketing video to the untrained eye to me. Don't misunderstand me, I would love to get one for the pure fun of it regardless of its capabilities. The untrained part I am refering to is the appearance of the bike when being throttled.

It appears to me they sped up the video playback speed to make it look quicker than it really is.

Anybody agree or disagree with my observation of the action segments ?

I agree - they definitely tweaked the speed of the video. I am referring to the point where the bike goes along the white line, and then does a very quick S-transition and continues to ride a few feet away from the white lane. BTW, this is another marketing gimmick utilized in many movies as no real rider would stay on a white lane unless forced by a surrounding traffic.

I think this approach would work well for non-riders who don't know any better - they will definitely be impressed, and in that respect promoting the brand would've achieved its purpose. However, this bike is obviously not for first time riders, and not even for those who can afford to buy it.

As real riders, we collectively are definitely confused by the whole thing, but it would be interesting to see where this all goes. Maybe it's just the first step of a clever long term marketing strategy. :dunno:

TIMMYDUCK, thank you! Let's see if this grabs their attention. I know they do read emails.

im not too impressed with it so far. :laugh:

thCAY2F92H.jpg

I have no doubt that you'll be able 2 get a lot more HP out of the H2. Pipe, tune, ecu unlock, etc. But the more you tweak. &mod on a bike like this the warranty will be null & void.... not to mention you pay almost $30k on a bike and then you gonna have 2 put a couple more grand in2 it ??? That's an awful lot of $$$

For 30k you can build one hell of a busa.. Why not just go that route?

-D

-D

I think that would be the exact sentiment of most everyone familiar with Hayabusa. The major shortcoming of our beloved bike is obviously in cornering department, but only for a small minority of riders who can reach the limit of the bike. I personally am not in that category yet, and although I am a pretty docile track day rider compared to fast guys, I can positively say that Hayabusa is plenty capable to corner for 95% of street riders, and probably 80% of track riders.

So, promoting H2R (I am guessing with 260 HP max at the wheel) and H2 (I am guessing 210 HP max at the wheel) bikes as a straight line demons makes us scratch our heads, because these days if someone brags about their Busa with a stage 1 (230-250 HP max) as something special, they could be laughed at because there are plenty of guys out there with stage 2, stage 3, and ultra kits covering the range of 300 - 600 HP max. All of those cost either far less than $30k or close to $30k including the price of the bike. Also, the extra weight and longer wheelbase of Hayabusa contributes to its stability at speed - both in turns and in a straight line. And, we certainly don't need no stinking wings to keep the bike stable and the front on the ground.

I'd be very interested in their response.

I wouldn't count on it. First off, there will be plenty of other emails on the subject. Second, they know they screwed up, and whatever excuse they come up with will only make it worse. But hey, we read, we watch, we discuss, and maybe that's their objective, and in such case they achieved it, LOL.

I saw it on the dyne at the NEC on Tuesday and saw the pipes glow red and heard it crackle and pop on the overrun... Was amazing..... I've got a Busa..... This is a pointless thread....

All valid points, but on the plus side, since Kawasaki and Suzuki have been duking it out for years, maybe this will lead to the GENIII Busa with forced induction? All jokes aside, I think its possible; the force induction option for the Busa has been around for a long time and continues to be popular so maybe..just maybe..

-D

-D

That makes sense to you and me along with people who are knowledgeable of the bike industry. But there are some people who don't know where or what's all needed 2 do that. Not everybody hangs out in motorcycle forums and knows the difference between an ebay turbo kit and RCC.... Not to mention they can't take a turbo fully modded busa to any dealership for repairs or maintenance. So I see the appeal of having a bike supercharged that you can ride off the dealership lot with a warranty and have serviced @ any Kaw dealership. That's what the H2 offers. So this bike is tailor made 4 the guy who has too much money and no knowledge of the industry but wants braggin rights @ bike night.

The only problem is when he encounters an "old busa" with a pair of funny little pipes sticking out the side(dumps) or a guy like me with a bottle under the hump and he gets embarrassed when our tail lights fade off in2 the distance :laugh:

That makes sense to you and me along with people who are knowledgeable of the bike industry. But there are some people who don't know where or what's all needed 2 do that. Not everybody hangs out in motorcycle forums and knows the difference between an ebay turbo kit and RCC.... Not to mention they can't take a turbo fully modded busa to any dealership for repairs or maintenance. So I see the appeal of having a bike supercharged that you can ride off the dealership lot with a warranty and have serviced @ any Kaw dealership. That's what the H2 offers. So this bike is tailor made 4 the guy who has too much money and no knowledge of the industry but wants braggin rights @ bike night.

The only problem is when he encounters an "old busa" with a pair of funny little pipes sticking out the side(dumps) or a guy like me with a bottle under the hump and he gets embarrassed when our tail lights fade off in2 the distance :laugh:

Well said sir well said :thumbsup:

Back