My First Time Sport Touring . . .

Sum Beach

Registered
For the first time on friday the 7th, I actually used the Busa as a "sport tourer"
My time with having a full time job and being a full time student, is very limited. And my rides have been limited only to the school commute. :(
However I have two weeks off from school before the new semester starts so as a present to myself for making the Deans List, I took a ride up to Niagra Falls.
415 miles in about 5.5 - 6 hours ride time. This included gas/rest stops and getting lost once. By no means am I ready for an Ironbutt ride but it is the longest I have personally done in one day.
I have done plently of twisties already and just wanted to see if I could handle the boredom of the highway.
The only mods done for this trip was the DB ST windscreen, Throttle Rocker, and a new RAM stem mount for the Garmin.

2009 Melissa Touring Edition 009.jpg

Even with only these minor mods the highway was actually, enjoyable! (execpt the wind buffering from 18 wheelers) Even after 400 miles, I was ready to keep going!!
Kind of getting the bug for touring now and I am planning two rides for next year. A ride around Lake Erie and a round trip to New England to visit family.
Got some mods planned for the winter downtime and to get ready!!!

(I know there are :rulez: about posting tour pics. However I just got a brand new phone on thursday and the phone and computer are haveing problems syncing up to download the pics. The pic above was taken on thurdays ride prep with my camera which I know I should have taken with me as a backup . . . lesson learned)

2009 Melissa Touring Edition 009.jpg

What I thought was funny, I left about 7 in the morning and was home around 3. Round trip, time at the falls and a lunch with Chrisjp
As I walked in the door, my sister was looking at me in shock.
Her: "Your home!?!"
Me: "Um yeah . . . "
"Did you even go to the falls?"
"Yes and I just got back"
"I thought it was like a 400 mile trip"
"It is, but I rode the Busa"
"Oh . . . "

She knows what the bike is but I don think she understands . . .:laugh:

glad you enjoyed the trip.. next present to your self would be a seat. personally i have a Gel seat.

Awesome! Sounds like you had a great time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Forum Runner

Getting out to see the world on a bike is infectous and there's so much to see. Look at maps and see what grabs your attention, make the plans and go. Life's too short to say "I should have..."

My favorite thing is to just head out and ride for about 400 miles. I just take whatever road looks interesting. After a few tanks of gas I find somewhere to eat and push the home button on the GPS and head home. I generally am on the bike for 8 hours + whenever I ride, except the quick after work zooming I do close to home.

This is where the Hayabusa is really hard to beat. Medium trips with some good twisties.

I have no doubt in my mind that you are ready for an Iron Butt ride :thumbsup:

My favorite thing is to just head out and ride for about 400 miles. I just take whatever road looks interesting. After a few tanks of gas I find somewhere to eat and push the home button on the GPS and head home.

Thats actually a really good idea. I am definitly going to start trying that!!

I have no doubt in my mind that you are ready for an Iron Butt ride :thumbsup:

I know mentally I may be ready, however my butt my disagree. :laugh:

Sweet.
I take pics with my phone camera, email the pics to me and I can then save them or do as I want. Just a thought.

You may also want to start planning routes based on back roads. Or at least the 2 lane highways. I seldom like taking interstate unless I am trying to make time.

I wish i lived in your area so that I could go on a 400 mile trip to see something like that, however im like 150 miles to any decent riding. I took a long ride a few months ago and put up 1500 in 2 days. I now have installed true cruise. its kinda like cheating on the open highway. I absolutely love it.

Back