Hayabusa - Sport or Sport touring??

argyle66

Registered
just had a disagreement with my private insurance company

last year when I got insurance they termed my Hayabusa as a sport touring bike

this year my insurance doubled literally and they changed the class to a Sport bike

I phoned a few shops and they say sport touring as well, and that is what I thought

looking for opinions or other hayabusa owners who have private insurance and what they classed the bike as

the classification may have changed with 2008 changes... but mines a 2006

Mine is listed as a 1300cc motorcycle by State Farm. My DR650 costs almost exactly half of the Busa to insure. Rates a good.

As for your question, I would say more sport than touring.

Try Nationwide and NEVER say the name Hayabusa to an insurance agent, just say its a GSX1300R. I get great rates thru Nationwide. To me its more of a 'Hyper' Sports Tourer than a sport bike but I don't tell them that either.

NW may be changing that in the future. How do I know? I helped them write the program.
corner2.png
If I tell you more, Id have to kill ya. Its truly amazing what these uys dont know about motorycles. NW or any other insurer.

My insurance only cares about engine size as well at State Farm. I only pay $18 extra on top of my 3 cars full coverage. $129 a month for 3 vehicles and a bike. U might wanna look into that man

I had an 03' GSXR-1000 last year before I sold it and bought the Hayabusa.
The GSXR was almost TWICE as much to insure then the Hayabusa.

Although its a 300cc increase and Nation Wide doesn't classify it's style of bike;
It might be due to the statistics of wrecks & thefts being higher on the gsxr1000 opposed the the Hayabusa.

Through AAA my '94 Magna is insured for almost $800 a year for full coverage and my '01 Hayabusa for $500 a year. My adjuster told me it is based on how many accidents involved your particular model in 25 mile radius of were you live. Less Busa's in my area = lower insurance rates. (You can find all kinds of salvaged Magna's in my local cycle trader)

My guess is when I told them about the Busa, they just used thst name and not the model #. Like I said, the guiys who design the program don't ride. I can list off all the officers, etc.... They're nice but clueless..

I got Geico on the phone for my 08, full coverage was over $5000/yr!!! I got allstate on the phone...$1579 for the SAME coverage. I went with Allstate.

My insurance only cares about engine size as well at State Farm. I only pay $18 extra on top of my 3 cars full coverage. $129 a month for 3 vehicles and a bike. U might wanna look into that man
Yea, but you are in South Dakota, big difference comparing rates to a place like lets say hummmmm VEGAS. But it never hurts to shop around.

everyone get on the phone and start shopping around... I've read a bunch of insurance threads and State Farm keeps coming up as the price leader.

When State Farm asked the displacement on my K8, I kinda played dumb and said,"ahhhh the decal says 1300". When she plugged in the Vin. It came up 1340 cc but didn't matter. Still cheap in my mind, 432.00 a year full coverage.

State Farm has me running 45 a month, much better the anyone else quoted. I mean, but thousands of dollars a year.

For those that may not know, a way to reduce insurance premiums is to raise the deductables as high as possible and drop collision coverage, which is only possible on a non financed bike (already paid for). The only 'hitch' is, if you roll it on your own...you're on your own.

But, if you have comprehensive (for theft) the usual medical coverage for others, (great to have medical through an employer for yourself so you don't need to pay for medical coverage for yourself on your bike policy) and under/uninsured motorists coverage and liability of course (required) and high deductables, you only have a $$ loss if you go down on your own. In other words, if someone runs into you, you're covered.

The companies know that if they don't have to provide coverage for collision but everything else is covered, they will reduce the hell out of your premiums. Of course, age and driving history of the covered rider, their zip code, multi vehicle discounts, estimated miles per year (never say you will commute on it) and the size and type of bike are also figured into the deal. I pay very little for just this kind of coverage on my three bikes, my daughter's SV650 and my car, about $400 a year, no foolin!

I carry coverage just like you just stated CBX on 4 GSXR's and my Busa and I pay $358.00 a year. Through Progressive.

Back