My First Hayabusa!!!!!

Welcome!
That's a
firedevil.gif
lookin busa!

post-52-02136-welcome.gif
and
beerchug.gif
on your new ride in the fastest color!!!

Glad to hear your being smart and staying within your skills. Like others have said..Treat her with respect, if you don't, you will get in over your head real quick.

Be safe and enjoy your new beauty.

super.gif

Great looking bike!

If you're not into mods, you probably will be with a Busa, it's a disease!!

The main one I was happy with on mine for appearance was exhaust, the stocker just did NOT do it for me.

Point of contact mods WILL make a huge difference in your enjoyment and control when riding. Seat, grips, pegs.

I'm your size, I loosened up the brackets holding the levers etc. and angled them to best fit my reach and arm angle. Replaced grips with softer, more tacky ones so I don't have to grip as hard, replaced pegs, bought a Tobin seat to put me closer to the ground and feel "in" the bike instead of on top of it.

I'm also a gear Nazi, helmet, armored jacket, armored pants, gloves, armored riding boots. I highly recommend it before that sad day when we all slide down that merciless belt sander we call a highway.
SHOCKED.gif
Just NOT into skin grafts...

I loosened up the brackets holding the levers etc. and angled them[/Quote]
That was a minor mod I was thinking of right away. I have to rotate my hands in an awkward way to manage the levers, like I'm taller than the bike expected. Seat and pegs are fine though (long legs, short torso).

The lean angle is noticeably more aggressive than my Interceptor, but I like that, so I'll leave it that way. My hands have always gone numb, so grips might be in order and definitely a throttle lock - so I can give my right hand a break when my fingers go numb.
I had to borrow to get it in the first place, so there won't be a lot of money put into it (just fuel
biggrin.gif
).
I was so fond of my Powertrip Diablo jacket, but now I'm going to have to get an all black Hayabusa jacket to match the bike!
I prolly won't do anything to it at all this year but ride and learn it. Too few riding days left.
The lever adjustment will prolly be it.
Now, I just gotta figure out how to get a white Hayabusa logo on a Joe Rocket jacket orange. Prolly outta get the jacket first . . .

Then again, who knows. Once I put a few miles on it, I may throw a Turbo on it . . . or two . . .
wow.gif

and congrats on the Busa. Be sure to give it lots of respect, because it will bite ya..

Nice looking bike too!

Thanks all -
super.gif

Got called in to work today which squashed my plans to get the title taken care of and get a temporary plate until my custom one comes in, so my Suzi's not street legal yet - negating tomorrow's riding weather . . .
sad.gif

Levers are adjusted, but the right (throttle) side fluid container rubs into the windscreen thing because there is about an inch less clearance on that side. Not sure if that's normal or a result of the Puig windscreen.

Took it to the local college parking lot (where I took the MSF) and practiced some low speed stuff, which went better with the 'Busa than it did with the Interceptor a few months ago - except for one thing. The 'Busa started overheating after maybe 15 - 20 minutes of that. The oil light came on, the "check" indicator on the display, etc. Shut 'er down for about 20 minutes until the gages returned to normal, then headed back. Stopped at another parking lot, did a few more maneuvers, overheated it again. Took it on a main road and got it up over 40 MPH and that cured the overheating issue. Lesson learned, the 'Busa don't like the slow stuff - an incentive to not sell the VFR next summer and keep it as my ride-in-parking-lot-bumper-to-bumper-traffic bike. Come to think of it, I read something about 'Busas overheating on this very forum if memory serves me right.
Having figured that out, had to get on the freeway and stretch the legs a little. Nothing crazy, but I think I was doing 60 or so before I went to 2nd gear - and had RPM room to go before I shifted if I remember right.
Even so, spent very little time on full throttle and what little I did was in higher gears for the most part - below the peak RPM range. Just trying to get a feel for the thing without attracting too much attention (I was driving without a plate - and rode right past a state trooper who didn't seem to notice). It does feel different accelerating through a wide sweeping highway turn than the VFR; that will take some getting used to.

Question - these things come stock with a steering damper? I was looking down into the forks when moving the levers around and noticed there was a steering damper looking thing down there. The seller never mentioned one and that's the sort of thing someone would typically mention.

That's sick dude[/Quote]
super.gif

Glad I caught that on video . . . that was at my peak. I haven't been practicing and it doesn't look so good anymore . . .
(geetars is fun, but Suzi's are better)

super.gif

(F=M*A @ Aug. 25 2007,18:12) Thanks all -
super.gif

Got called in to work today which squashed my plans to get the title taken care of and get a temporary plate until my custom one comes in, so my Suzi's not street legal yet - negating tomorrow's riding weather . . .
sad.gif

Levers are adjusted, but the right (throttle) side fluid container rubs into the windscreen thing because there is about an inch less clearance on that side. Not sure if that's normal or a result of the Puig windscreen.

Took it to the local college parking lot (where I took the MSF) and practiced some low speed stuff, which went better with the 'Busa than it did with the Interceptor a few months ago - except for one thing. The 'Busa started overheating after maybe 15 - 20 minutes of that. The oil light came on, the "check" indicator on the display, etc. Shut 'er down for about 20 minutes until the gages returned to normal, then headed back. Stopped at another parking lot, did a few more maneuvers, overheated it again. Took it on a main road and got it up over 40 MPH and that cured the overheating issue. Lesson learned, the 'Busa don't like the slow stuff - an incentive to not sell the VFR next summer and keep it as my ride-in-parking-lot-bumper-to-bumper-traffic bike. Come to think of it, I read something about 'Busas overheating on this very forum if memory serves me right.
Having figured that out, had to get on the freeway and stretch the legs a little. Nothing crazy, but I think I was doing 60 or so before I went to 2nd gear - and had RPM room to go before I shifted if I remember right.
Even so, spent very little time on full throttle and what little I did was in higher gears for the most part - below the peak RPM range. Just trying to get a feel for the thing without attracting too much attention (I was driving without a plate - and rode right past a state trooper who didn't seem to notice). It does feel different accelerating through a wide sweeping highway turn than the VFR; that will take some getting used to.

Question - these things come stock with a steering damper? I was looking down into the forks when moving the levers around and noticed there was a steering damper looking thing down there. The seller never mentioned one and that's the sort of thing someone would typically mention.

That's sick dude
super.gif

Glad I caught that on video . . . that was at my peak. I haven't been practicing and it doesn't look so good anymore . . .
(geetars is fun, but Suzi's are better)[/Quote]
I can't say that I am a Busa expert since I bought my 07 about a month ago, but I can say that when i brought it in for the first service that I put in some water wetter... The first week i had it, I was doing lots of parking lot maneuvering as well and it got up above the half way mark but not close to the red. Now with the water wetter in there, it rarely goes above the half way point, even at the lights in the 110 heat index weather here in VA lately. Could help a little... Just my $.02 and believe me thats all its worth HAHA

super.gif

Enginerd,

Thanks, I'll have to keep that in mind. I don't plan on being on the dream bike in traffic when I have another bike for that, but just because I don't plan on it happening doesn't mean it won't happen.

Back