My First Hayabusa!!!!!

F=M*A

Registered
Yo!
I found this forum long before I got a 'Busa, but figured I'd wait until I got one to join. Well, now I gots one!
guns.gif

Its a 2000 (UNRESTRICTED!!!
muscle.gif
) with under 7,000 miles and limited modifications (I'm not into mods myself, under tail is mandatory along with a K&N, but for the most part, I like 'em natural). I like stock paint, but this one happened to be painted black all over and I actually like it that way.
I haven't tapped into the infamous 'Busa power yet, but that ride taking my baby home was an absolute dream.
I'm an inexperienced rider (first summer - this is my second bike) so I will be taking it easy until I get used to this thing.
My first bike (that I just bought a couple months ago) is a 1986 Honda VFR 750 Interceptor. I've never liked Hondas (prejudice against the name I guess, can't nail down any other reason), but I do like that bike. I bought it because I didn't want to blow a ton of cash on a bike I was probably going to dump a lot (not real coordinated here . . .
tounge.gif
).
I read up on the peeps' views in here about getting a 'Busa for a first bike and am glad I didn't get one right away, so thanks all for that input. I had a few boneheaded mistakes in me and I dropped my VFR once by forgetting it was in first and letting out the clutch while dismounting
crazy.gif
Poor thing had never been down in 20 years until I got to it.
But, I couldn't wait any longer after seeing the one I bought. Absolutely gorgeous machine. Simple, elegant, beautiful and ridiculously powerful. I plan on taking very good care of this - my VFR will be my work commuter (a 200MPH bike in traffic? Uh, what's the point?) to keep miles off he 'Busa and keep dingbats from giving me excuses to make stupid mistakes with it.
Anyway, I have excessive expressiveness disorder, so I might be real active here.
But, thanks to all involved here, I look forward to my new journey!
super.gif
egitarre77.gif
firedevil.gif

newbie.gif

Force = Mass * Acceleration

OFF TOPIC ALERT:
If yer really bored, check out GrampaCrusty on YouTube - that would be me. The "Mad Scientist" riff is my crowning YouTube achievement for any guitar playas out there.

egitarre77.gif
all_coholic.gif

ON TOPIC:
I'm TRYING to get pics uploaded. Let's see if I can git this thang figured out . . .

2000_Hayabusa_02.JPG

Newb question . . .
How do I get my avatar to show up? Or is it there and I'm just not seeing it?

post-52-02136-welcome.gif
really like that orange on that black...that might make me change my mind about a black bike.

Stay safe on that thing.

(F=M*A @ Aug. 24 2007,23:48) Newb question . . .
How do I get my avatar to show up?  Or is it there and I'm just not seeing it?
PM sent...

'08s are supposed to hit the dealers in Sept/Oct...

Several members already have deposits on them for when they do hit the dealers...

Where in the Midwest are you?

I'm near the Motor City.
Not a lot of after work hours with good riding weather lately, so I haven't had it out since the day I picked it up.
sad.gif

This Sunday is supposed to be nice - I'll have to get out early in the morning to avoid all the four wheeled ground bounders.
I have a short list of twisty roads to hit in the area (near Pine Lake, Clarkston Road, Orion Road, Lakeview Road, etc.).
Can't wait!

upload_ . . . thanks - found my avatar file.

Man it feels good to be a 'Busa owner!
Thanks to all posters and welcome wishers!

Congratulations on the sweet bike!
beerchug.gif

Welcome to the board!

Since your new to riding, you might want to consider taking a MSF course. They will teach you some "good" riding habits and give you some skills to keep you safer.

Good luck.

consider taking a MSF course.[/Quote]

Took care of that in 2004 and I swear by it. I was 34 at the time and kicked myself in the arse for waiting so long to do that. I didn't know it was only $25 . . .
iamwithstupid.gif

Sage advice HRJR. I will probably take it again next year because it has been so long since I took it and I didn't ride again for years after I took it. I know I forgot a lot. I had developed the habit of riding like I drive a stick, putting it in neutral at stops so I wasn't "riding the clutch". That habit led to me tipping over a bike that in 20 years had never been down (*).
Thinking back, I remember the MSF course instructs that the bike stays in 1st while stopped in case you gotta scoot to avoid a rear ender. It had been so long since I took the course that I forgot that, which cost me a busted cowling on a near mint '86 Interceptor - a part long since discontinued and only available used.

So . . . for anyone else reading this who does not yet ride, but has a thing for 'Busas, TAKE THE MSF!
Any dingbat can take it, believe me it requires ZERO prior experience. And they teach you to do more low speed complex maneuvers than you are likely to ever use in real life, which is good. I HIGHLY recommend it.

(*) There was someone in front of me driving on a near flat right rear tire. I wanted to be a good ole boy and let them know so they could do something about it before they damaged the rim. So I put the stand down, went to get up and (forgetting that step of putting it in neutral) the bike lurched forward bringing the side stand up and proceeded to fall over on its side and stall. I don't think so well when I'm in a hurry and I wanted to finish my little good deed before the light turned green.
Oops.
crazy.gif
iamwithstupid.gif

One of the things I learned was how light 500 pounds seems when you're thoroughly embarrassed and want to get out of dodge in a hurry . . . that thing practically leaped off the ground . . . and I'm a lil' 5'9" 170 pounder.
I am SO glad I got that little experience out of my system before I got a 'Busa (not that it woulda happened with a 'Busa because of the stand sensor, but still - it squeezed some of the bonehead out of me dealing with the frustration of tarnishing an ancient treasure).
So thanks again to all who suggested a 'Busa might not be the best choice for a first bike - because that little episode wasn't the only "oops" I've had, just the only one causing damage to the bike.
I'm much better now (so my doctor tells me . . .)
super.gif

iamwithstupid.gif

Back