My conclusions about "Hayabusa can't corner" and the track riding poll

Found a slowmo

and save

and lowside
(too many R's on tap?)

and anbother

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's all agree that being in a lower gear is the chosen method, most of you have explained why, in clear terms and citing that the skill comes from quality instruction (performance schools, Keith Code, etc.). Let's ALSO AGREE how important TruWrecks comment re: how important throttle control is. Given good and warmed up tires, clean tarmac, overall appropriate conditions....throttle control is the Alpha Wolf of skills.
All else being equal between two bikes and riders, the rider with the most sensitive and capable throttle skills will be both safer and faster.

Let me alter the subject slightly....last Summer I converted to slicks for the track and two things happened. First, I got a lot faster than I was and second, I believe I actually increased my overall safety! Bogus knows about this but for others that haven't considered slicks....if you are a track rider, you owe it to yourself to experience hot slicks on a track! This is my opinion BUT I think that the chance of me highsiding on a track is so improbable (short of oil, coolant etc) given the amazing traction afforded by hot slicks.
Just wanted to make that point. Remember, 20 minute sessions as a track rider is light years less demanding than lap 19 in WorldSuperBike! Raydog

Now this is where I'd like to be :thumbsup:

- Moto gp - Powerslides - Motorbike Drifting Lone Rider Mix[/url]

And a high end get off if you are still wondering how easy it is:

(some kid practicing :-))

After reading the last couple of posts, let me make one more point, the reason I bring up slicks is.....that "margin of available traction" available is significantly higher than even the best street tires. What that converts to on the track for me (besides the obvious performance advantages) is an amazing level of increased confidence in all high performance situations...it has allowed me to slow down my thoughts and actually analyze what I'm doing at a deeper level. I hope that makes sense. Raydog

After reading the last couple of posts, let me make one more point, the reason I bring up slicks is.....that "margin of available traction" available is significantly higher than even the best street tires. What that converts to on the track for me (besides the obvious performance advantages) is an amazing level of increased confidence in all high performance situations...it has allowed me to slow down my thoughts and actually analyze what I'm doing at a deeper level. I hope that makes sense. Raydog
So, you think it is possible to get the Busa into the "A" group?

Now all I wanna do is go out and get on a set of hot tires and have some fun... dang it... 44 degrees here... I hope I can make the OKC track day in 10 days... :)

So, you think it is possible to get the Busa into the "A" group?

Now all I wanna do is go out and get on a set of hot tires and have some fun... dang it... 44 degrees here... I hope I can make the OKC track day in 10 days... :)

With slicks, 4-5 mods (U know pc III, exhaust, etc.) heck yeah! Recently at a 2 day track day, so many left mid day on second day, all three sessions had everybody riding! As I dropped into turns that opened up to straights I noticed that, when opening up onto the straight, if I got a healthy drive, I was about as fast as the GSXR 1000's down the straight and when braking from high speed, even went by some! (it's important to know that I have Braking rotors and CZ wheels....I really don't know how much of a difference that made. if any).
You know, on a cold day, I'd use tire warmers even with street tires....it means instant hammer time! (before I owned warmers, I rented a set from the tire guy at the track). I highly suggest you call the track riding company, get the tire guys #, call him and ask if he'd do that, to buy em retail Woodcraft's cost about $370 bucks.

P1020651.JPG

P1020653.JPG

Now this is where I'd like to be :thumbsup:

- Moto gp - Powerslides - Motorbike Drifting Lone Rider Mix[/url]

And a high end get off if you are still wondering how easy it is:

- Valentino Rossi Incomparável !!![/url]

(some kid practicing :-))

So, in the first video, is he hitting the rev limiter when sliding? Also notice, never at full lean.

The Moto GP guys cheat. Thanks to Kevin Schwantz they're using a 16.5" rim with a tire that is the same outside diameter as the 17" tires. That's gives them even more contact patch in the corners than we can get on 17" rims.

Here's a full vid of the guy in white.....

- Insane riding skills[/url]

OMG, what have I posted? Let me find the other pic (so embarrassed)

I was already planning on picking up some warmers for next season but I may have to pick some slicks also. I didn't think slicks could take the multiple heat cycles but if they last for 3 or 4 days thats good enough for me.

Last edited:
I was already planning on picking up some warmers for next season but I may have to pick some slicks also. I didn't think slicks could take the multiple heat cycles but if they last for 3 or 4 days thats good enough for me.

Well don't forget that "preheating your slicks with warmers makes you ready to ride hard right away" reality gets all the fanfare and wonderment.....the other beni of warmers is that you profoundly reduce the times your tires cool down and reheat (cycling) therefore their lifespan of effectiveness are prolonged.
To me, if I go through ten sets of slicks over a few seasons....purchase of warmers is a no brainer! BTW, I shopped around and let me recommend Cloud Nine Motorsports, a proud, competent and awesome org sponsor!
Do a search and you'll find dozens of posts of happy org customers. Everybody loves Daniel!
Raydog

P1020934.JPG

P1020939.JPG

Well don't forget that "preheating your slicks with warmers makes you ready to ride hard right away" reality gets all the fanfare and wonderment.....the other beni of warmers is that you profoundly reduce the times your tires cool down and reheat (cycling) therefore their lifespan of effectiveness are prolonged.
To me, if I go through ten sets of slicks over a few seasons....purchase of warmers is a no brainer! BTW, I shopped around and let me recommend Cloud Nine Motorsports, a proud, competent and awesome org sponsor!
Do a search and you'll find dozens of posts of happy org customers. Everybody loves Daniel!
Raydog

Glad to see that u have seen the light Doyle. Benefits are HUGE! I love being able to hammer down straight outta "Pit Out." Why waste almost half the session trying to get the tires warm when you can spend the whole session focusing on improving technique, lap times, etc? The warmers save money in more ways than one. Add to that list, saves money on the overall TD experience.

BTW-Many of u are overthinking this! Just sign up for a TD and RIDE! The act of "doing" and experiencing beats the endless prose that eventually becomes moot point. I guarantee, there is ALWAYS someone faster than u. Always take the opportunity when an instructor or AMA Pro pulls up in front of you, taps their tail section (means they want you to follow them and observe their lines, body positioning, etc). When u finally get to ride Level 3 or A Group, all of the things mentioned in this thread should already start to flow and take less than 0.001/sec for your brain to process and rider input should follow soon thereafter.

BTW-Many of u are overthinking this! Just sign up for a TD and RIDE! The act of "doing" and experiencing beats the endless prose that eventually becomes moot point. I guarantee, there is ALWAYS someone faster than u. Always take the opportunity when an instructor or AMA Pro pulls up in front of you, taps their tail section (means they want you to follow them and observe their lines, body positioning, etc). When u finally get to ride Level 3 or A Group, all of the things mentioned in this thread should already start to flow and take less than 0.001/sec for your brain to process and rider input should follow soon thereafter.

Very well said.
Posted via Mobile Device

Here's a full vid of the guy in white.....

- Insane riding skills[/url]

This must be simply a precise throttle control and big balls. I can't imagine that every time he spins he hits the rev limiter. A few times the rear hooks up pretty abruptly.

The high-side comes from the bike stepping so far out sideways that the rotation of the tire is almost perpendicular to the direction of travel. At that point the tire will get enough traction, in the direction of travel, that it will pitch you off the side of the bike in said direction. The rider error is too much throttle input for the available traction. When traction is lost because of the overwhelming torque the RPMs climb until they are stopped by the rider of the limiter. If there is 5,000 RPMs available to rotate the engine will deliver it, and the bike will turn sideways until the tire stops accelerating. If there is only 2,000 RPMs remaining the sideways movement will be stopped much earlier, and will almost certainly prevent the high-side. The engine acceleration happens so fast you will not have time to react before it hits the limiter. Traction control can help prevent it because it checks tire speed once every 1/60th of a second. Human reaction times are 1-1.7 seconds. A high-side only takes .5-1 second to occur.

I suppose if it helps explain my particular experience...it was exactly as Truwrecks depicts here. When I took flight, I would say I probably entered the turn around 4,000-5,000K, probably on the brakes because at that low an RPM, I had no engine braking to setup for the turn...coasted in (loading the front end because I had been using the front brakes - although I try never to "ride" the brakes through the turn) and then nailed the throttle upon exit. The spin was instant...and violent. Completely spun sideways like I was the "Mission Impossible" stunt rider attempting a rolling 180. My fault...no doubt.
The only surprising factor for me was that it seemed to be the same way I had come off the turns before. By that I mean that I never really babied the throttle when I was really on it...I nailed it, and she freakin took it! :laugh: But...I was always wound up in the revs. Dragon's Tail is by far my favorite place to ride. For some reason the tight turns REALLY suit my natural "style" to ride hard. I had gotten very good at pulling these small wheelies coming out of the turns (certain ones) hard on the gas and the bike always responded well...it would start the lift just before straightening up, then pull just a little until I hit the limiter. I was always in 1rst gear and kept the bike wound up in the revs to use the engine braking for setting up entry and speed control through the turn. I found that I was hitting the limiter on exit too often between turns, changing gears up and down, so I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket so I could get into 2nd gear...best trip I had ever had - and the hardest riding I've done. My high-side was about two weeks later. It was on the same US-129, but a good bit south. We had just ridden Warwoman Rd and were on route to the next waypoint (I'm a follower cause I never know where we're going - but I've always been a #2 follower till we get where we're going:lol:).

I've not attempted that type of riding since. Looking back, I believe I was at the breakpoint way too often and didnt realize thats what the feeling is like. Not trying to brag, but I never had anybody that could stay behind me to tell me what was going on (anyone in our group anyway - I will say I had a pair of R1's come around me like I was a frickin chopper!:bowdown: ).

Until you wreck, I don't think you can appreciate how close you have come to wrecking:laugh:.

I am definitely going to start some track riding...budget is a constraint but I hope to learn some things and get my confidence back to where it was. :banghead: Having ridden the way I was and being a little skiddish of pushing that hard again, I hafta say I don't enjoy the ride as much as I did back then.

Last edited:
Back