My accident

Busa Dreamin

Registered
I hadn't planed on posting about this but after reading numerous accident reports on this site I decided to tell the story.

Sunday night June 4, 2006 I decided to go for a nice little ride and get a bite to eat. I hadn’t got much riding in that week; I think it had been raining.
I left home about 9:45 PM I ended up on the expressway heading south, when I got down to Miami I decided to head east to Miami Beach. I knew that there would be places to eat after 10:00 PM.
I was having a nice ride the weather was pleasant and since it was a Sunday night there wasn’t many cars on the expressway, I don’t normally ride much during the day on the week days because of all the cagers.
We’ll I am going east and cross over a bridge, after I crest the top and start heading down I notice a car is stopped on the expressway, and I see a car between me and the stopped car that I realize would not be able to stop and also realize that I will not be able to stop in time.
In the next fraction of a second I know that my new 2 month old Bike is going to crash. I hit the brakes hard and decided that when I get close to the cars I will try to squeeze between the left side of the cars and the cement barrier wall. I had no time to down shift and before I knew it I was on the ground, it was just Bam it didn’t feel like I hit anything or that the bike slid out from under me. It happened so fast, I hit the ground and ended up in a seated position behind the first car in a lot of pain. I heard the guy from the second car screaming at the lady in the first car, why the hell did you stop on an expressway.
I suffered a fractured collarbone and seven fractured ribs in my back all on the left side.

After going over the accident in my mind and remembering the cop had mentioned a blind corner, and looking at the bike and the road where the accident happened I think I might have figured out what happened. At first I thought the back wheel might have locked up and slid out from under me. I had recently installed EBC HH brake pads on the rear. When I inspected the bike the left frame slider was bent towards the back of the bike not up, so my next guess was that both tires locked up and the bike slid out. There was some damage on the right side also which I believe was from the bike sliding under the car. The bridge did have a blind curve in it, after I crested the top it goes straight for a short bit and then curves to the right.
I have full coverage insurance with State Farm but found out that in the State of Florida the operator is not covered for bodily injury. Total time in the hospital was five days.
The repair estimate on my bike was $6828.94 all of the plastics needed to be replaced and a few other small parts. Hard to believe plastic can be so expensive.
That cop said the other officers wanted to give me a ticket but he talked them out of it, he said that he had also bought a Busa two months ago.
Amazing that it is legal to stop a car on the expressway, the lady said a cat ran across the road. If she had run a red light or stop sign I could sue, but nothing you can do about somebody stopping on the expressway after a blind corner. Nice huh.
I am self employed and had to cancel all my work for June. Just in the last week I got back to sleeping in my bed but I am not comfortable.

The insurance company settled and sent me a check for the repairs.

Another thing, a few days before that accident I had decided I wasn’t going to wear my heavy leather jacket any more. It was just to hot, I had been looking for a mesh jacket but had not found one yet; it was not fun to ride with a hot jacket on.
I don’t believe the jacket would have helped much; I hit the road so hard that I don’t think the jacket would have helped with the fractures. I had road rash on my left shoulder and a little bit on my hip and side, but with the fractures that didn’t bother me.

I think that I am a person that pays attention on the highway whether I am in a car or on my bike. But what can you do about something you can’t see?

As I mentioned above I had only had the bike two months I had just finished doing the initial mods that I wanted to do and had just posted my pictures that week.

The parts were ordered yesterday for the repairs and I am doing a few upgrades, I guess the bike will be ready in a couple of weeks I just hope I will be ready to ride.

That Sux,, Glad you are healing. Seems like a lot of money for repairs and not a total loss. I would push for a total and get a new Bike. Get well soon.

Man this BITES!!

Time to strafe the cagers!!
mad.gif

Take it easy over those blind crests people...too much bad sh*t happening these last couple of months...

<!--EDIT|gsferrari
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152301109 -->

That's awful! Not sure what I would have done in that situation. Glad the injuries weren't worse and hope you get back on your feet quickly.

damn sorry to hear about the bike but thank god your still able to talk about it. i live in miami and if you need help modding or even putting your bike toghether let me know im always willing to help a brother out. also when you get up and ready to ride hit me up i love to ride but my friends dont so im stuck ridin alone maybe we can ride. but really these arent just words im willing to help if you need it i have some parts laying around and i can practically get what ever you need local.

Thanks jjbusa

I'm letting the shop do the majority of the repairs, I still have limited mobility.

I will let you know when I am back on the road, I usually ride solo also so I look foward to meeting you.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that; hope you heal well and soon. And don't let anyone tell you that you can't sue unless it comes from your lawyer; find a good, reputable attorney and get some advice. In the meantime, if you need some cash for a summer jacket, let us know so we can help.

Sorry to hear that. I always expect the worst and prepare for it. Accidents do happen and are unpreventable, but a wreck can be prevented.

Glad to hear is wasn't worse, but it's still isn't good either.  Get well soon.

You probably locked up the front, and the bike layed down really fast.  Been there. Done that!  If the slider was pushed toward the rear, the bike was still going nose first when it fell over.  That's easy to do under heavy braking, especially if you don't practice emergency stops.  Practice, practice, practice!!!!!!  Go out to an empty lot (after you're back on the road) and practice emergency stops.  Start by doing a casual stop.  Then progressively stop harder, and harder, until your front wheel locks-up.  When the front locks-up let let go of the brakes.  You can keep the bike upright if you let the tire grab before you tip over.  A Busa can stop pretty fast with good tires and brakes.  Infact the stock brakes will stop too fast!  Any brake upgrades are really pointless, unless you're putting your bike on the track and you want brakes that don't fade as fast (which isn't really fast anyway).  The Busa doesn't have ABS, so you have to be the ABS!  Once you learn the braking limit of your Busa you'll be in good shape for stops so fast you'll swear you're butt just passed you, and the bike is still under you.

<!--EDIT|TruWrecks
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152421771 -->

Man, know how you feel, mines totalled, glad your ok. You'll be up and riding again in no time.

<!--EDIT|BusaWizard
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152505769 -->

Thanks for all the support guys. All the parts have been ordered plus a few up grades, I guess it’s a good time for it. One can was damaged and instead of using the $400 (repair est) to replace it I am putting it towards a Akrapovic Evo.
The bike didn’t look good with all the plastic scratched and cracked, but other then that I don’t think it was hurt that bad. It went down on one side and slid under the car, so it didn’t bounce and flop all over the place. The shop said the frame and engine was fine.

Thanks TruWrecks, that sounds like what happened. It happened so fast I wasn’t sure.
I think it was less then 3 seconds from the time I saw the stopped car till I was on the ground.
I wasn’t speeding but was on the expressway so probably doing 60 - 65. I knew I didn’t want to hit that car and slammed the brakes. The cop said the road conditions might have been bad because it had rained earlier that day.
The road was dry, no spray coming up and it was dry where I was sitting but who knows.
I didn’t feel the wheel lock or the bike going down, one moment I was upright and the next I felt myself slam against the road.
I must have slowed it down a good bit because I didn’t travel that far after I hit the road.

Also read something about air pressure recently and wondering if that might have played into it.
My tire pressure was 42 front and rear, set at the dealer.

This is what I read.

“One way to arrive at your correct cold tire pressures is the 5 psi rule.

What you're shooting for is for the tires go up 5 psi from the time that they are completely cold to the time that you are just coming in off the track.

The first step is to set your front and rear tire pressures to whatever your track tire vendor recommends for your combination. If you don't have a recommendation, 30 psi front and rear is as good a place to start as any.

Go out and get the tires hot. Like your out-lap (warm-up lap), 5 hot laps, and then come back in. Immediately check your front and rear tire pressures.

If your tire pressure has gone up more than 5 psi, that means that your cold tire pressure was too low and you need to add a pound of air.

If your tire pressure has gone up less than 5 psi, that means that your cold tire pressure was too high and you need to release a pound of air.

So let's say that you go out at 30F/30R cold and come back in at 36F/34R hot. That means that you need to add a pound of air to the front and release a pound of air from the rear. So for your next session, you'll be going out at 31F/29R. If you come back in at 36F/34R after the second session, that's a 5 psi increase front and rear, and you've got it nailed.

I know it sounds backwards, but it's not. Re-read it until it makes sense to you and you'll get it figured out.â€

I know this talks about being at a track but 42 seems like a lot of pressure for grip and stopping (haven’t had any problems with leans in corners though) and if it goes up with heat???
I read that members here run from 30psi up to 42psi
Just a thought.

I hadn't planed on posting about this but after reading numerous accident reports on this site I decided to tell the story.

Sunday night June 4, 2006 I decided to go for a nice little ride and get a bite to eat. I hadn’t got much riding in that week; I think it had been raining.  
I left home about 9:45 PM I ended up on the expressway heading south, when I got down to Miami I decided to head east to Miami Beach.  I knew that there would be places to eat after 10:00 PM.  
I was having a nice ride the weather was pleasant and since it was a Sunday night there wasn’t many cars on the expressway, I don’t normally ride much during the day on the week days because of all the cagers.  
We’ll I am going east and cross over a bridge, after I crest the top and start heading down I notice a car is stopped on the expressway, and I see a car between me and the stopped car that I realize would not be able to stop and also realize that I will not be able to stop in time.  
In the next fraction of a second I know that my new 2 month old Bike is going to crash.  I hit the brakes hard and decided that when I get close to the cars I will try to squeeze between the left side of the cars and the cement barrier wall. I had no time to down shift and before I knew it I was on the ground, it was just Bam it didn’t feel like I hit anything or that the bike slid out from under me.  It happened so fast, I hit the ground and ended up in a seated position behind the first car in a lot of pain.  I heard the guy from the second car screaming at the lady in the first car, why the hell did you stop on an expressway.
I suffered a fractured collarbone and seven fractured ribs in my back all on the left side.  

After going over the accident in my mind and remembering the cop had mentioned a blind corner, and looking at the bike and the road where the accident happened I think I might have figured out what happened. At first I thought the back wheel might have locked up and slid out from under me. I had recently installed EBC HH brake pads on the rear. When I inspected the bike the left frame slider was bent towards the back of the bike not up, so my next guess was that both tires locked up and the bike slid out.  There was some damage on the right side also which I believe was from the bike sliding under the car.  The bridge did have a blind curve in it, after I crested the top it goes straight for a short bit and then curves to the right.
I have full coverage insurance with State Farm but found out that in the State of Florida the operator is not covered for bodily injury. Total time in the hospital was five days.  
The repair estimate on my bike was $6828.94 all of the plastics needed to be replaced and a few other small parts. Hard to believe plastic can be so expensive.
That cop said the other officers wanted to give me a ticket but he talked them out of it, he said that he had also bought a Busa two months ago.  
Amazing that it is legal to stop a car on the expressway, the lady said a cat ran across the road.  If she had run a red light or stop sign I could sue, but nothing you can do about somebody stopping on the expressway after a blind corner.  Nice huh.
I am self employed and had to cancel all my work for June.  Just in the last week I got back to sleeping in my bed but I am not comfortable.  

The insurance company settled and sent me a check for the repairs.

Another thing, a few days before that accident I had decided I wasn’t going to wear my heavy leather jacket any more. It was just to hot, I had been looking for a mesh jacket but had not found one yet; it was not fun to ride with a hot jacket on.
I don’t believe the jacket would have helped much; I hit the road so hard that I don’t think the jacket would have helped with the fractures. I had road rash on my left shoulder and a little bit on my hip and side, but with the fractures that didn’t bother me.  

I think that I am a person that pays attention on the highway whether I am in a car or on my bike. But what can you do about something you can’t see?

As I mentioned above I had only had the bike two months I had just finished doing the initial mods that I wanted to do and had just posted my pictures that week.

The parts were ordered yesterday for the repairs and I am doing a few upgrades, I guess the bike will be ready in a couple of weeks I just hope I will be ready to ride.
that does indeed sux man...and i got a stock exhaust system laying around doing noth'in but rusting if ya need it...since i am just 80-100 miles north of you in port saint lucie, fl...but as the great chronic critic 'round these parts? i gotta tell ya that the only thing that bothers me about your post is your apparent lack of confidence of just how much protection an appropriate jacket may have afforded you...as you'd be shocked at just how much g-force your back/ribs could've been spared via a mere 1/2" of ce approved multi-density foam padding...as i found out first hand when i totaled my old '00 ZRX1100 into the side of a minivan that looked right through me and lurched out in front of me with about 10-15yds to spare while doing 45mph...with nowhere to evade?..(concrete retaining wall in the ditch on the right and oncoming traffic in the left?)...i stood the bike on it's nose for all of about 5 yards and estimate impact to have been about 35mph...spun off the right side of the bike...rolling my right shoulder...with g-force ultimately slamming my back dead flat up against the drivers door...with my body crushing the door so badly that it was crushed closed on the drivers side..driver couldn't get out...but?....xrays showed no broken bones for me....at 44 years old...i was wearing a joe rocket pheonix mesh jacket..and had i not been wearing that jacket?...with that foam padding?...there's not a doubt in my mind that the outcome would've been far worse...food for thought..and lemme know if there's anything i can do to help ya out exhaust wise...other than that?...prayers sent..heal fast and best wishes for a speedy recovery..L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

sorry to hear about your bike but atleast for the most part you are OK.

Thanks for the reply Bill. I put that part in my post just for this reason, was wondering if it would have made a difference. I think my whole side hit at one time but it would have been nice if I had the jacket on to absorb the shoulder impact. I was lucky I didn't go sliding down the road without the jacket. I don't think I will be riding without one again.
I have since picked up a Kobe Breeze and if that is still to hot I will pick up a good mesh.

Thanks on the offer, I already ordered the Akro. Looking forward to it.

Back