My Mother-In-Law…..(this one is kind of long)

lil charlie

Registered
So my mother in law moved in with us today…. A little back story. She lives in a border town with Mexico and has been there her whole life. She used to have a boy friend but hasn’t for at least 6 months. Her lazy arse drug dealing son lives just a mile away but won’t even talk to her unless he needs something. She’s lonely and has been getting depressed working and coming home to an empty house. She used to come spend one weekend a month with us (we live 45 mins away) but lately it has been turning into every weekend. She called us the other day in tears saying she wants to relocate to our town (she works for the Department of Economic Security and can work in any of the DES offices in the state of Arizona).

The issue is that she not only wanted to move to our town but she wanted to move in with us. Now don’t get me wrong, I love this woman to death and would do anything for her, hence the name of this thread. We just don’t have the room. We live in a 1600 sf 3 bedroom home and there are already 5 of us here. My wife and I share a room with our 11 month old son. Now I had to re arrange stuff in my son’s room to put another bed in there. I would let her live with us forever if I had a bigger place and everyone had their own room. She says it only until she gets a place of her own but she had a place of her own before and that was the problem, she doesn’t like to be alone. She keeps telling herself that it’s to help us with the baby and the bills but we didn’t need help, we are doing this for her.

I can see this lasting for months and I don’t know how I feel about that. It has only been one day and I was already mad at her for putting me in a bind. My wife and I live pay check to paycheck and have to be frugal with our money (okay, I’m just a cheep arse). When Ana, my mommy #2, said she wanted to move in with us this weekend I told her I would need to rent a u-haul trailer and she would need to pay me back for it and the gas I used moving her, plus she would need to chip in on the groceries we were going to buy this weekend. She said it wouldn’t be a problem because she wasn’t going to be paying Aug rent at the place she just moved out of. I fronted $100.00 for that stuff and once I had her unpacked I told her I was going grocery shopping (we had NOTHING to eat or drink) so I needed that money back since I used cash from my grocery money and she said she spent it and would need to pay me back next Friday when she gets paid again…. I was so mad I wanted to send her butt back. How is that helping me with the bills? Now I got to pay to move her and feed her, I didn’t take her in to raise, I got my own for that! I didn’t really take that money from my food budget but I wanted her to think I did because I want her to think of that kind of stuff before she spends her money.

Were not charging her rent, she doesn’t need to chip in on utilities, and her car is paid for so she needs to pay for the food, and I mean all of it, not just what she eats. She’s a good woman, when she spends weekends with us she’s always buying dinner and getting the kids new shoes or shirts. She doesn’t make much money, like my wife, and I just don’t want to pay for her stuff too. I make enough money to support my family, have my bike, and put some away for trips and stuff so were okay but…… It’s not my fault her loser son wants nothing to do with her and that she doesn’t have a man. That’s it…I need to find her a man, then she will want to move out to have some privacy. Now I’m on a mission to get her laid. Thanks for letting me vent peeps! I really do love her; she just stepped on my toes today. The 3 adults are having a family meeting to iron out all the details on what we expect from each other. I guess we should have done that before she moved in but she just called on Wednesday crying and begging to move in. If the situation was reversed she would let us move in with her. In fact My wife and to move back in with her a few times with the kids when things didn’t work out with her Ex.

At least you get along with her. My father-in-law is a toolbag....

Hang in there bro! Thats about all i can say. I think you guys are on the right track with the family meeting! get it all worked out and then you will be okie for a bit. Might be kinda nice for ya...maybe you and the wife can get a little alone time out and about now?

At least you get along with her. My father-in-law is a toolbag....

If I didn't I would have said H3ll no! We have our issues, she still thinks shes head of the family and gets to make decisions about the kids. My 12 year old daughter wanted to go to the mall a few weeks back and I told her no because she didn't clean her room. I went back to work on my bike and Ana took her to the mall and told me " I told her she could go and clean her room when she gets back" I don't think so. I went and picked her little butt up and told Ana to mind her own bees wax. This will be another topic in our family meeting. Melissa and I are the boss when it comes to the kids, respect that our get gone. That is a line I will not alow her to cross. My house, my rules. Holly crap I sound like my dad.

Hang in there bro! Thats about all i can say. I think you guys are on the right track with the family meeting! get it all worked out and then you will be okie for a bit. Might be kinda nice for ya...maybe you and the wife can get a little alone time out and about now?

Yep, bonus for sure. It also means that Melissa can start going back to school too. I take night classes and Melissa watches the kids. She has been wanting to go to school too but we agreed that I would finish and then she would go.

Well hopefully the wife can help you work through the inlaw issues..... goodluck if all else fails :beerchug:

:laugh::laugh: remember she made your wife...im sure she has some sway with her as well:)

I feel for ya bro. My MIL moved in with us a couple of years ago. My brother in law had stolen all her money and spent it on drugs. She's a diabetic and couldn't even afford her insulin. Wound up in the hospital on life support for a short time. Long story short, we wound up selling her house and moving her in here. She does pay rent ($500 a month) but that includes meals and all her trips to the doc. But if you ask my wifes family we're screwing her out of her money. But, none of them would take her in. Having some of the problems you are as well. She keeps giving my 18 yr old son money. And he WON'T get a job. She even bought the little sh*t an Audi A4 while his license was suspended for speeding. Hopefully we have that behind us. Things seem to be smoother now. Good Luck. You'll need it

good luck! :thumbsup: put the rules in writing and post penalties if they aren't followed...otherwise, you may get voted out of your own house!

My wife and I have already had the discussion in case we have to take in either of our parents. I have no problem taking in a parent. I feel it is my duty. Rules would definitely have to be established about the kids. My in laws still take care of two of their children, both grown men (31 and 40). They cannot come but the parents are always welcome at my house.

My then wife told me her mother wanted to come and live with us. I said, no. She has a home, and a daughter, and a grand daughter, and a grand son that lives with her now. That is a setting I did not want.

Lay down your rules and stick to them.

You may have really stepped in it.

Good luck to you.

Back