My 2008 keeps stalling and will not restart. Could it be overheating?

spooledup

Registered
I am having some problems with my 2008 Hayabusa. Last week I was out for a ride during the day in the mountains. I was behind some slow moving traffic for a while and the bike stalled while in gear. It would not restart and I let it sit for about a minute then it started back up. I thought maybe it stalled because the high elevation the road starts around 6,000 ft and ends around 12,000 feet.

After that I had the same problems a couple times over the week. Today it was worse. I was riding in the middle of the day and it would stall, usually at lights and it would not restart. I would let it sit for 5 minutes then it would start with some trouble. I drove on the highway and I did not have the same issues. The only thing I could think is the bike is getting hot and stalling out. The temp gauge reads about in the middle and I never hear the fans kick on. I am wondering if the gauge is not reading correctly and if the fans only kick on if the gauge reads hot.

Any help would be appreciated.

What rpm does the bike idle at? If the busa is not set at 1150 to 1200 rpm, they tend to stall.

It idles around 1200. I have put over 3000 miles on it and never had this issue. It does not only die at idle. I was reading and saw there was an ignition recall and I just scheduled an appointment with the dealer to get it checked. I am not sure if this could be the issue but it would make my life easier if it was.

If I recall, the 08 had a recall for a wiring harness. Something about the route of the harness. PM KS Waterbug, I think he posted about it some time ago.

This happened to me not long ago as well - it was the tilt switch had moved from its location - not sure what its for but it kept stalling the engine...

Worth a try, I find its usually the simple stuff!

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

yup on my 2007 my tip over sensor located by the rear of the tank under it had broken off the bracket! never knew it it drove me nuts for 3 days trying to figure it out, did the same thing you are stating

Ill check out that stuff. A friend of mine said it could be the stator. I replaced the stator cover not to long ago but everything went back together fine.

I road it tonight and it was riding fine. I started feeling some heat coming from the bike, it was not a lot of heat but the amount you get after a long ride and it did it again. This time I listened carefully and the fuel pump was not priming when I tried to restart it. I tried turning it on and off a few times and then I heard the fuel pump prime and it started. I turned it off and it did not prime and would not start again.

I am thinking it one of these things. The the tip over sensor getting hot and bugging out, kickstand switch, or possible the fuel pump getting hot and dieing out. I am going to investigate more later. I rode the bike and while riding it pulled down the kick stand and it seemed to die out immediately. When it stalls out on me if feels like it runs out of gas and stutters for a split second. Pulling the kickstand down felt different.

Good process of elimination! Keep us posted. I've had an issue where after riding along time, I would stop to get gas and bike would not start. Almost like moto siezed. Wait a minute or two and it would start with no problem. Hasn't happened in a while so I don't have an answer to the reason.

Sounds like the tip over sensor to me. I had the same problem on my 05.

I rewired the aftermarket kill switch I have on the bike. I though maybe when it gets hot one of the wires was getting a bad contact. After doing this I went out for a quick ride and I pull in and turn it off. I try and start it again and I does the same thing, no start. Now I wonder if the factory kill switch could be bad. It would not start in neutral so I am about to rule out the clutch switch. I don't see any FI lights so I have no clue anymore.

It may or may not have any codes, but it can't hurt to check. Under the front seat behind the battery there is a white plug with a plastic cap. Use a piece of wire to jump the red/white and black/white wires.
This will not harm the bike, neither wire is hot either, the key must be on, and the engine does not have to be running. If there is a code it will displayed at the bottom of the center screen on the guages. C23 is the tip over sensor, should it be another, the rest of the codes are listed on several threads.
If it doesn't show any codes I would turn the key on and off several times, to see if you could catch the FI light on. That way you would know what part was failing.
This picture shows the plug with the cap on, it is easier to do if you remove the cap.

Pictures Blanca found for me a couple weeks ago when my 08 died, he's a search engine:laugh:

wire%20jump.JPG

Thanks for all the help guys. I finally figured out the problem. Last night I picked up the tank to located the tip over sensor and check the connections. Today I pulled off the factory kill switch and rewired my aftermarket kill switch again. I thought maybe I had a bad connection. So tonight I ride the bike around and the problem is like 50 times worse. It stalls on me 3 times in 6-7 miles. I go back home and ride it around my block till it dies then I push it into the garage. I unbolt the gas tank and I pull it up and immediately I head the fuel pump prime (I left the kill switch on so I would hear the pump prime if I found the bad connection.) I look at the plug for the fuel pump and I see one of the wires is not in all the way. It looks like it was disconnected and reconnected but the metal prong did not line up right and it damaged the inside of the connector. It was making contact but it was really bad contact.

Here is a crappy cell phone pic. Its the yellow and red wire. You can see the butt of it sticking out past the white connector. It should be flush.

2.jpg

I am going to call Suzuki and see if I can order a new pig tail wire and a new plug. I have done it many times on my Toyota Supra. You just solder the new pig tail wire end on and put it in the new plug. I am going to rig it up tomorrow so I can go out to the track Saturday. I am so happy I finally tracked it down. It has been driving me wild.

I got the same connector from a buddy today and its all fixed up. Good thing a lot of bikes use this style connector, I got one off a ZX10.

I got the same connector from a buddy today and its all fixed up. Good thing a lot of bikes use this style connector, I got one off a ZX10.
Cool...cos if you'd called the Suzuki dealership as you'd planned it'd have taken a couple of months to track one down!

Last edited:
Back