Strange Stalling Problem All Of A Sudden

goblinsix

Registered
Hey Folks,

This might be nothing, but I want to describe it. Yesterday I washed down my bike really well and went out for a ride---no issues and no F1 light. Later in the day when I took off from a redlight at low RPMs the bike stalled out and was not happy to start up again. I got it running after about three long pulls on the starter. Today was out in the driveway and went to pull it into the garage and stalled out again twice at low RPMs. I had to crank up the RPMs up to about 2K to get her moving.

So is it maybe water in the system that is causing my low-RPM launch stalling? This is strange.

JG

Doesn't sound like it to me, water usually does not affect the way the bike would run (otherwise you wouldn't be able to ride it in the rain). Sounds to me like an electrical problem. Does it only do it when hot?

Also 08's had a recall for stalling due to the front harness shorting out. Look at the top of the forum for the recall and VIN range

If you have a power commander you might undo it, and see if that helps.

Sounds like what happened to my bike but that was when it was new. It was a faulty Throttle Position Sensor.

No, it hasn't been doing it only when hot. Yesterday it was warm after maybe a 20 mile ride, but today it was bone cold.

What happened exactly is that I would get the RPMs up a bit and begin to let out the clutch. When the clutch was fully disengaged the bike would let out an audible "click" which sounds obviously like the bike lunging forward in gear and then stalling. Then it was an immediate and abrupt stall. It just started doing it yesterday and I've never had it happen before. The bike has about 2000 miles on it.

I do have an alarm system, and I also keep the bike on a battery tender every night. So the battery should be 100% fresh. I'll have to play with it tomorrow, because I don't like to have to launch my bike at high RPMs on the street like a newbie who hasn't mastered the use of a clutch:-)

Last edited:
No, it hasn't been doing it only when hot. Yesterday it was warm after maybe a 20 mile ride, but today it was bone cold.

What happened exactly is that I would get the RPMs up a bit and begin to let out the clutch. When the clutch was fully disengaged the bike would let out an audible "click" which sounds obviously like the bike lunging forward in gear and then stalling. Then it was an immediate and abrupt stall. It just started doing it yesterday and I've never had it happen before. The bike has about 2000 miles on it.

I do have an alarm system, and I also keep the bike on a battery tender every night. So the battery should be 100% fresh. I'll have to play with it tomorrow, because I don't like to have to launch my bike at high RPMs on the street like a newbie who hasn't mastered the use of a clutch:-)

I haven't had that problem with mine. Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help!

Went out today and rode about 50 miles with some starts/stops and had no issue. I really wonder if I got water into something when spraying the bike down the other day. This was just strange. Water shouldn't affect it, but it does seem to be a coincidence that I washed it one day and then it was stalling the next---I dunno.

JG

Could be water in a connection but doesn't seem like it. As mentioned before, check your vin to see if it's eligible for the ignition recall. Also as mentioned above, water in gas is possible. Can be a faulty sensor, loose ground wire, improperly seated connector, or any number of small things. If it was more constant on the rpm or or speed at the time of the problem, then I'd start looking at the clutch or tranny. Warped steels or basket in the clutch can cause stall issues. It doesn't sound quite like that. But, they are a possibility.
Posted via Mobile Device

The dealership cross threaded the bolt on my battery causing an intermitent contact. check the battery then follow the lines. Sounds electrical to me.

Back