Muffler cloth tape on the headers

ok to start it off removing the panels

plastics_off.jpg

I put two hose clamps on first, rather than fight with it later while holding the wrap...oh don't forget to wear rubber gloves or equivalent

hose_clamps.jpg

I just put the wrap into a bucket of water, way easier wet, and stretches nice

I cut the 50 foot wrap evenly in 12 1/2 foot sections.. worked out perfectly

into_the_water.jpg

I fed the fiberglass cloth into the top clamp so it easier to wrap around... then just a matter of doing a couple of wraps tightening the clamp

into_hose_clamp.jpg

then pull each wrap tight, my arms were aching when I was done the 4 pipes, use a finger to hold each wrap, while pulling it tight
thumb_up.gif

pull_it_tight.jpg

and all the radiator and oil cooler back together...

now the tough part getting the plastics back on LOL waiting for my GB woodcraft stator cover and a fresh batch of engine ice... before they go on

back_together_right.jpg

I'm pretty satisfied with the job.. a lot of work, but I have the time so it was good, enjoyed the beer while I played
beerchug.gif
and yes I know I'm an amateur but if I can do it anyone can

total cost 60 bucks Canadian with clamps

total time about 4 hours

now a question for you guys... does the tape harden up or shrink when you get the engine running to normal temps after going for a good ride???

usually a little bit of smoke and stink... over longer periods of time it will discolor a bit but not an issue.. MAKE SURE you wrap very well in tinfoil for oil changes! if you happen so soak the stuff in oil it is nasty.. (a couple cans of brake cleaner will get most of the oil out but it is still going to smoke A LOT... never had the stuff catch fire but oil is flammable

Nice job! and good walk through!

glad my header pipes came off separately.. I also used the copper impregnated type of tape, you do not want to soak that type as the copper will come out. Just enough water to get the tape damp for that type..

Question:
Why not rap all the way out, instead of stopping at the bottom? I noticed that the lower section is closer to the plastics than the top section. Oh by the way very clean job on the rapping.

at the point that I wrapped to .. is where it goes from 2 into one for each of the mid pipes..which would require a larger wrap...and more money... I was happy just keeping the heat away from the radiator / oil cooler myself

Back