exhaust header heat tape or jet coat?

aljanmay

Registered
I will be instaling a muzzy titanium exhaust in the next month or 2 and am a little worried about the extra heat generated will cause the engine to overheat. I am thinking about jet coat or similar product but the price is a little steep. Around $150.
I know some of you have used the heat tape on your pipes. Is there any problems caused by using heat tape instead of the coating?
What type of tape or wrap do you use and where did you get it?

ive heard that heat wrapping your pipes can lead to pipe degeneration because the tape creates an oven effect or something of the sort

Actually a full Titanium system should NOT be wrapped.... I dunno why, but I distinctely remember reading it somewhere that using header wrap on Ti systems is bad JuJu...

Might want to check into Ceramic coatings but hell, I dunno if any of the Ceramic coatings will work on Titanium.... A quick Call to Jet Hot will prolly get you an answer though.

Either way though I'd avoid header wrap, it's ugly, by all accounts a pain to install well, and can lead to increased header corrosion if and when water and road crud gets caught up in it. Chack out Jet Hot. They have a variety of coatings and Colors even, including one that looks allmost like chrome...

Wrapping header pipes can be very bad news. It keeps the parts around the exhaust system cooler but can over heat the pipes and cause damage to exhaust system it self. Water and dirt also increase the chance of the system failing. Coating would be better, but a well designed system should not require either one.

Yeah like i said
blush.gif

Doesn't it defeat the purpose of getting titanium exhaust by wrapping or coating them? Either way I don't think I'd do either.

I dont think it defeats the purpose of going titanuim. You get titanium because of weight. Coating doest add but a couple of ounces. Ive seen graphs in carcraft and other mags that actually show a 2-3 hp increase by using jet hot. It keeps the engine temps down because its not being warmed up by the exhaust.

Thanks for the info. So I won't go with the wrap, but still undecided on the coating. Has anyone had troubles with overheating after installing a pipe? I thought I remember hearing of some people that did.

i think it was more concers with fans melting which can lead to overheating. But they do make alunimun fans and there is even a guy on sh.org who makes dual fan setups, but that probably wont help with melted fans

I got my headers Cermakromed this week. (Similar to Jet-Hot.)

I have found that my radiator fan doesn't kick in anywhere near as frequently as it did before, and I can see the temp gauge is maintaining a consistently lower position.

Back