Muffler cloth tape on the headers

argyle66

Registered
Had a buddy who put muffler cloth tape on his headers on a Gixxer 750...you could grab the headers and feel no heat... it was amazing

said it ran better and kept the engine cooler, have to admit allot of heat down there

Do you think it would help HP any and let the bike run cooler on our busa's???

any thoughts would be great
ThumbsUp.gif

super.gif
PM -->
argyle66 @ Jan. 18 2008 said:
1269799[/ATTACH] PM]
Do you think it would help HP
If someone says yes, send me a roll of it!

Changed my mind, don't want my headers to melt...

super.gif

Had a buddy who put muffler cloth tape on his headers on a Gixxer 750...you could grab the headers and feel no heat... it was amazing

said it ran better and kept the engine cooler, have to admit allot of heat down there

Do you think it would help HP any and let the bike run cooler on our busa's???

any thoughts would be great  
ThumbsUp.gif
direction of heat will increase flow thus in theory gain hp

ceramic coating is another option

gains are minimal at best

most do it to save their plastics or to protect themselves for exposed hot pipes etc.

heat wrap is expensive and so is actual ceramic (jet) coating.

I wrapped my headers when I installed a 4 to 2 to 1 Arata system. Wrapping made a huge difference! It stopped the over heating. I was surprised how close the pipes were to the radiator. That's why when you slow down in traffic the heat just rises right into the radiator. I also had a surprising result, it quieted the front of the bike. And put all that sound out the back where it belonged.

I have always wrappedmy headers crs and motorcycles. Theoretically by keeping the exhaust gases hotter they travel faster which gives you a couple more ponies. For the bike the big advntage is keeping the inside much cooler, heat away from radiator and oil coler, etc. Plus I dn't burn myself changing the oil filter.

full titanium akra exhaust. It's been wrapped since 2002 and still have not had a failure. previous had a full titanium muzzy exhaust, wrapped for 35,000 miles also without any kind of a failure.

we wrap all of our racing headers (well not the fuel car)

The stuff can be a real pain to work with.. soak it in water, wrap while wet.. hard to quantify any HP gain but our turbo motors seem to spool up faster with the pipes wrapped pre-turbo..

Im not overly concerned about HP gains...just want it to be cooler running through the city stuck in traffic

how far do you wrap and what is the exact product I should be buying... link please

thanks again for the advice

We always used ThermoTec brand... we also used "band-it" clamps (they are completely flat) we wrapped to the collector

it is an exercise in patience... keeping the wrap wet will help a lot.. I use about a 50% overlap and really try to find someone else in the shop to do it for me...(makes me itch like mad) I think it shortens the life of the pipes but how often do you wear out a set of race pipe
smile.gif

do not wrap a titanium pipe...excessive heat will cause it to become super brittle and break down.
thumb_up.gif

r8
I once read that the SR-71 (titanium skin and structure) heat treats itself every times it flys. Its stronger today than when it was first build. The temps are probably lower on our exhaust then on the planes skin. I don't think this theory holds true. But if ever my titanium system fails I will write in ASAP!

Im not overly concerned about HP gains...just want it to be cooler running through the city stuck in traffic

how far do you wrap and what is the exact product I should be buying... link please

thanks again for the advice
I wrapped to the edge of the plastic. This system seemed larger that the stock one. So I had less clearance between it and the plastic.

pipe_wrapp.JPG

so again I have stock headers and two brothers slip ons...its all good to wrap... no harm / no foul???
It wouldn't hurt to wrap the stock headers with your set-up. I will say that it is probably not worth the effort. I have a full HMF 4-2-1-2 system on my bike. Mine are not wrapped never had any problems. Save the $$ and time and spend it on a mod that will benefit you. JMHO

Don

Also why is your bike overheating? We have 100 degree plus weather here, heavy traffic and mine never overheats. My mods are in my signature.

Don

Back