MSF Couse, What do you learn???

Mrs.Rubber2Burn

The Diet Coke of Evil!!!
Donating Member
Registered
I have finally slowed down a little with work and am getting my "ducks in a row" for my MSF Class. I absolutely swore a couple of months ago that I was NOT going to be attending this class in the Texas HEAT with fully gear in JULY!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: It looks like I may have to take that back.

My main question is:

What exactly do they teach in this class? I am excited to go and learn; I just want an idea of what to expect.

Thanks y'all.

My wife learned much and her confidence level increased also. She has no trouble riding the Bandit 600, she still needs practice though.
I will ask her tonight and see if I can get some specifics for you.
I don't envy you in the Tejas heat, we lived in Houston and I can only say take the course B/4 the August heat comes.
Bubba

the msf course here in mass. provide the basic fundamentals of motorcycles such as shifting, proper steering, forward control operations i.e. when to release clutch and throttle simultaneously. i had a great time and the instructors are very knowledgeable. a few years ago i completed the advanced course which was even better because you get to use your own ride to apply there techniques.

Tight turns. How to use counter weight to make slow tight turns, energancy breaking, swerving, doing a figure 8 in a small area without putting your feet down and without going outsde the lines, shifting. There may be a few more things, but that's all that comes to mind. Just have fun while your out the and don't get frustrated and it willl all go smooth. Good luck with it. I know the class showed me alot that I was doing wrong and it was a good confidence builder.:thumbsup:

I have finally slowed down a little with work and am getting my "ducks in a row" for my MSF Class. I absolutely swore a couple of months ago that I was NOT going to be attending this class in the Texas HEAT with fully gear in JULY!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: It looks like I may have to take that back.

My main question is:

What exactly do they teach in this class? I am excited to go and learn; I just want an idea of what to expect.

Thanks y'all.

BRC?

I Posted some info in a thread here..I'll have to check some links to see if they are still good.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/77287-ninja250-msf.html

.... What exactly do they teach in this class? I am excited to go and learn; I just want an idea of what to expect.

Thanks y'all.

If they're doin' it right, they'll include, but not be limited to, the following:

1) Safety in gear, in bike, in riding and in traffic.
2) Defensive/Awareness driving techniques and concepts.
3) Motorcycle anatomy (mostly the controls of the bike)
4) How to mount and dismount safely.
5) How to start the bike safely.
6) How to stop the bike safely.
7) Throttle, Brake and Clutch control.
8) Low speed exercises and maneuvers. Speeds rarely exceed 20 mph and are usually lower. Exercises include:
Laps: Just to get comfortable with riding in general.
Slalom/weave
Braking
Shifting
Low speed figure 8's
Low speed u-turns
Slow Ride (straight line riding as slow as possible)
Countersteering/Emergency Countersteering

The last BRCII that I attended here in MD in 2006, they also covered facts on drinking and driving, including MD state law and penalties and they also covered MD state helmet laws.

Bottom line, go there to have fun and you can't help but learn. If you ride at all already, some of it may be old hat to ya, but you'll probably also find some alternative/better ways to do some things.

TIP: Bring PLENTY of water to drink (they may provide, but just in case, bring your own) and, if you're prone to sunburn, bring plenty of sunblock! :whistle:

My compliments on being smart and taking the course. You'll be more informed, better trained and much safer for your trouble.

Have fun!

best lesson I learned is stopping quickly while in the midst of making a turn (good sample is freeway on/off ramps). in the end, you become MORE intimately familiar with your bike which in turn boosts your confidence

If they're doin' it right, they'll include, but not be limited to, the following:

1) Safety in gear, in bike, in riding and in traffic.
2) Defensive/Awareness driving techniques and concepts.
3) Motorcycle anatomy (mostly the controls of the bike)
4) How to mount and dismount safely.
5) How to start the bike safely.
6) How to stop the bike safely.
7) Throttle, Brake and Clutch control.
8) Low speed exercises and maneuvers. Speeds rarely exceed 20 mph and are usually lower. Exercises include:
Laps: Just to get comfortable with riding in general.
Slalom/weave
Braking
Shifting
Low speed figure 8's
Low speed u-turns
Slow Ride (straight line riding as slow as possible)
Countersteering/Emergency Countersteering

The last BRCII that I attended here in MD in 2006, they also covered facts on drinking and driving, including MD state law and penalties and they also covered MD state helmet laws.

Bottom line, go there to have fun and you can't help but learn. If you ride at all already, some of it may be old hat to ya, but you'll probably also find some alternative/better ways to do some things.

TIP: Bring PLENTY of water to drink (they may provide, but just in case, bring your own) and, if you're prone to sunburn, bring plenty of sunblock! :whistle:

My compliments on being smart and taking the course. You'll be more informed, better trained and much safer for your trouble.

Have fun!

pretty much what he said it's a really good course though teaches you more about real life situations you'll encounter and it is fun you get to beat someone elses 125/ 250 into the ground good friend of mine ran one of the courses out here for a long time. Even riders who thought they were perfect found something useful to take from it I highly recommend it. :thumbsup:

My personal favorite how to control a rear wheel skid :laugh::laugh:

No longer in the course here in MD. We taught it back in the day on the last day IF there was time, but it was never required curriculum. That said, I enjoyed the heck outta that drill and, IMHO, it was EXCELLENT training for new riders to become familiar with how to deal with a rear wheel lockup.

No longer in the course here in MD. We taught it back in the day on the last day IF there was time, but it was never required curriculum. That said, I enjoyed the heck outta that drill and, IMHO, it was EXCELLENT training for new riders to become familiar with how to deal with a rear wheel lockup.

Still taught out here and yeah your right teaches you to be calm and in control and not to freak out.

+1 I loved that drill (sometimes took it a little to far though :laugh:)

Still taught out here and yeah your right teaches you to be calm and in control and not to freak out.

+1 I loved that drill (sometimes took it a little to far though :laugh:)

That is the only one I did perfect!!!! ;) Still practicing the slow maneuvering techniques.

Coming to a stop and turning into parking lot without dropping the bike. Going fast (well 45 mph) was easy!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info! I am very new to riding, and in fact hubby will not even teach me anything until I take the class. I was afraid that the class would be more maneuvering and not actually teach me to ride; meaning do I need to know how to ride at all before showing up to the class?

My new to me bike is an SV650 and I am really excited to learn to ride correctly and safely. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The basic rider course is designed to teach someone who's never ridden (as well as someone who has rode for years, self taught).

You have the course book yet? Link for download

Aside from the heat you should learn a lot and have a good time!

The slow 90 degree turn and offset cone weave will get you in tune with the bike you are on + most courses end with a cert / endorsement for your drivers license. Well worth it if you have the time.

Kristin, I took the class back in Dallas and had a BLAST. I had never ridden before my first day of class. This was also before I had a bike, "just to make sure I can do this". I begged Michael to take me bike shopping the day after class was complete. The instructors were great and very patient with us. Understand that once you leave, you will still have a lot of work to do, but you should have a solid understanding of the basics. Once you get this behind you, the only thing that will make you a good rider and have the confidence you need on your bike is seat time: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! As soon as you are ready, I'll be here to hit the road with you. :cheerleader:

Good luck to you, I could never do it..It was hell getting my CDL A ..Wish you all the best, and be safe on that thing, :laugh:, we all know you're in good hands..Good luck to ya.. :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Back