MPG on 2008

Just my 2 cents, I get an average of 40mpg. i ride to work and of course on the weekends, i occasionally get it up in the revs, oh 160 or so as indicated on the speedo..... i love this freakin bike. well worth the payment and insurance....
tounge.gif

_0_.jpg

I get an honest 43 or so mpg. Thats city/hwy and some bursts well over 100 mph. If I werenice it would get upper 40s and maybe low 50s. I cruise at about 80-85 on hwy. My bike is all stock. I get around 180 miles ona tank before i fill up and have more gas left in tank....

I check my fuel mileage religiously at every fuel stop. I've had a low of 38MPG, and a high of 53.67MPG. Most of my fill ups with mixed city/highway and a couple WOT blasts generally get me 46-47 MPG.

This bike is by far the best mix of power and economy of any vehicle I've ever owned. I also have a 2500HD chevy (an '01) and I can feel your pain there, the last fill up was just shy of $130
sad.gif

stock K8, shift between 3-4k, speed limit city and freeway, I am getting 49-50, start playing with the throttle, hitting triple digits and it will go down to 42-43.

Don't forget to figure in how much fun this bike is to ride. I am planing a 700mile day on mine in june, i love this bike and ride every chance I can. your MPG will go up but so will your Miles driven!!! Have fun
cool.gif

Help me out here. You say you can not afford to drive your ¾ ton truck back and forth to work. You are only driving 500 miles a year if you are driving 2 miles round trip a day. Less than $200 bucks a year.

Bottom line is a motorcycle can not save money on gas unless you get rid of a vehicle and are driving many more miles than that. Additionally a new busa would be a very poor choice if your goal is saving $$.

Now if you want a high performance toy that you can also ride to work, it may be a decent choice.

Most motorcycles are more like an RV or a boat. They are a toy. However, they are a toy that can be ridden to work and save a bit on fuel costs. The only savings comes if you have already justified your toy as a recreational expense and then choose to commute on it.

Most motorcycles are more like an RV or a boat. They are a toy.
Not for some folks, they are not. For some, they are much more serious than a toy. MUCH more. For example, I haven't owned a car since 1996. Motorcycles are my sole means of transportation.... admittedly, some years, winter is less than fun. But I manage.

Re: gas mileage. Here's another set of data points based upon 10,000 miles on the K8: the steady mix of commute, short canyon romps and in-town stuff usually yields a MPG in the 37-38 range.

Long trips that are not hooligan outings can see significantly higher MPG. This past weekend, I took my K8 on the first annual "Sagebrush & Mountains 1000" endurance event, which featured the entry-level ride for the Iron Butt Association: 1000 miles in less than 24 hours.

There were about two dozen participants. I was the sole Hayabusa.
laugh.gif

The ride story is the subject of another thread, but on this ride I averaged 43.5 MPG, not too shabby considering the terrain and speeds involved.
cool.gif

I agree with you when you say "not for some folks"￾. However, I still stand by my statement when I say "most"￾ are used like a RV. (of course I'm talking about the United States) I think if you look carefully you will find most motorcycle owners have a 4 wheel vehicle. I'd even step out further to say the percentage of Busa owners that use it as their sole means of transportation is very, very small.

(of course I'm talking about the United States) I think if you look carefully you will find most motorcycle owners have a 4 wheel vehicle. I'd even step out further to say the percentage of Busa owners that use it as their sole means of transportation is very, very small.
Concur, it's probably very, very small.
winkold.gif

Even I don't have the Busa as my sole means of transportation.... still have the Blackbird and FJR in the stable.
cool.gif

In fact, today I had to take the XX to work for the first time this year, since the K8 has the wheels removed for (yet) another new set of tires to be mounted tonight. Got a tremendously large number of miles out of this last set of Avon Storms: well over 6000 miles, and probably have a good 500+ miles left on this rear Storm... not sure how I managed that.
dunno.gif

But I have a 1800-mile run starting tomorrow night, so the Storms are outta here.

Going to re-mount the OEM Bridgestone BT-015s I removed after only 500 miles last December. Like many Bridgestone tires I've had in the past, the BT-015s were complete $hit when riding on frozen tarmac. For me, they provided zero confidence in those conditions. However, it's been my experience that when they are thoroughly warmed up and running on hot asphalt, the Bridgestones are usually very, very good. With some hot summer temps on taps nowadays, I'm sure that will be the case with the 015's.

We'll soon see......
cool.gif

cool.gif

My 07 is my sole transport kinda, my car broke down about 2 months ago and i have no interest in fixing it started to the other day but decided that a nice 2 hours ride for the heck of it was better spent time, i have a walmart a quater mile from my apartment and decided that i really don't care about using the car anymore

I dont have a Busa(yet) but I got my motorcycle because of the fun factor and because though I might not be saving, it looks like it cause a fill up on a bike is $13, instead of $80 on my 350Z.

I think some of the guys are saying that if you include all the maintenance on the Busa you will not be saving that much money. The number 1 factor is the right hand twist/grin syndrome.
Numer 2 price a new set of tires for the Busa. I am sure most on here will agree if you take Extremely good care of them and do not ride aggresively you will most likely get about 6,000 miles out of your tires. A good set of tires for a bike will cost as much as a set of tires for a car/truck. And you only get two. Bikes are great fun and a tremendous joy but do not let the hidden costs fool you.

Back