motorcycle lifts

GSXcite

Squirrel Master
Donating Member
Registered
I'm in the market for a lift. I have seen some posts on the subject before, but I would like some feedback from those of you who have bought one. I do not have unlimited funds for the purchase, but I would like a nice usable and safe unit to work on the busa, my wifes cruiser and my friends bikes. I saw a post on one offered by Harbor Freight that was inexpensive. Anybody have one?

I am looking as well hal, tired of bending over to work on the bike!!
beerchug.gif

(hayabusa99b/w @ Jan. 07 2007,15:53) I am looking as well hal, tired of bending over to work on the bike!!
beerchug.gif
WTF , do you ride it sitting up ?
tounge.gif

My po azz will keep laying on the cold dirty concrete.

Changing oil as I write / we speak.

jump9.gif
jump9.gif
jump9.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

(hayabusa99b/w @ Jan. 07 2007,15:53) I am looking as well hal, tired of bending over to work on the bike!!
beerchug.gif
I'm looking at the one from Harbor Freight for $379. Looks like a nice lift.

I had a Harbor Frieght one before, they did change the model some, but more for convenience. Over the course of 2yrs, with average of 6lifts per week no problems. I do however believe in the extended warranty for it. If you have one local cool, if not and you want some more pictures of one let me know, we have one in Tucson and I could go snap some more pics, different angles etc...
I'm spoiled, I keep the bike in the house, work on it in the house, unless I'm doing fuel tank, or oil changes. As currently, its sitting in its own room on front and rear stands naked!

(CAT3 @ Jan. 07 2007,16:39) I had a Harbor Frieght one before, they did change the model some, but more for convenience.  Over the course of 2yrs, with average of 6lifts per week no problems.  I do however believe in the extended warranty for it.  If you have one local cool, if not and you want some more pictures of one let me know, we have one in Tucson and I could go snap some more pics, different angles etc...  
I'm spoiled, I keep the bike in the house, work on it in the house, unless I'm doing fuel tank, or oil changes.  As currently, its sitting in its own room on front and rear stands naked!
Thanks Cat, we have a store here in town and I think I'll go check it out tomorrow. Does your have the hydraulic pump that can be activated by foot or air power? If so how does that work? Also, would you have a pic of your bike on the lift? I'm wondering about the clamp on the front and the size of the front rotor on the busa.

The one I used to have was air, it was alright, although I didnt like having to run the air hose over to it and walk around it etc.. Next one will be electric of hydraulic. Footswitch is nice, step down forward and lift, heel down and lower. I didn't have the Busa then, so no idea on the rotor clearance, but the bikes we did lift that had issues, we used a 1" x 3" in the chock and rolled the tire onto it.

notman, biggallemore, Rhythm, and flrider all have the red HF lift...flrider said he removed the stock clamp and installed a Condor chock, Rhythm said he just uses his rear stand when he has his bike on the lift

(semi @ Jan. 07 2007,17:11) notman, biggallemore, Rhythm, and flrider all have the red HF lift...flrider said he removed the stock clamp and installed a Condor chock, Rhythm said he just uses his rear stand when he has his bike on the lift
Hey good idea Colen. I have a Baxley sport chock and that would work great, and since the chock is black, I would be color coordinated with the bike!
biggrin.gif

(semi @ Jan. 07 2007,17:11) notman, biggallemore, Rhythm, and flrider all have the red HF lift...flrider said he removed the stock clamp and installed a Condor chock, Rhythm said he just uses his rear stand when he has his bike on the lift
Actually I have a Handy lift not Harbor. I did go to the Condor and it works really well. Since I run it on by myself it is nice to not have to worry about holding while securing the bike to the lift. Would recommend the setup highly. After all it's only $$$.
tounge.gif

Hal

I've read that if you go with the harbor lift, spend an extra 100 and buy a handy front wheel clamp. If you are going to use the baxley for the wheel chock then for sure the harbor is a great lift for the money.

I'm gonna buy one soon. Think i'm gonna get the one with the hydraulic and air powered lift options.
super.gif

Hal, I've been looking at the HF lift, too, for a while now. I just need to talk the boss into letting me get it
tounge.gif

Every so often, I get a 15% off coupon for HF... They usually have that lift on sale for $299...and 15% off that takes it down to around $260.. Not bad...

I got the HF lift, had it about a year now, no problems.. sign up at hf & they will send you some discount coupon.. i got 20% off 299.99

(ToyKraz @ Jan. 07 2007,17:53) I have a Handy Lift. Nice lift but pricey.
+1 on the Handy.

I have the standard and would like to upgrade to a different model however. If I had it to do over again it would be the Handy "B.O.B." or "S.A.M." model. I also need the longer ramp.

(SO N SO @ Jan. 07 2007,20:42) I got 20% off 299.99
That is what I ended up with also, heck of a deal I thought.

The front clamp that comes with the hydraulic only model is worthless, throw it away. I made a front clamp that I used for awhile but I ended up just removing it and using my handy stands when I put the bike on the lift. I have heard that the clamp on the hydraulic/air one is better and from the looks of it on their website it looks pretty good.

The one I have, hydraulic only, crappy clamp, usually on sale for $299
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91764

Hydraulic/air, better clamp
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94121

Here is a pic with the bike on the lift. Makes changing oil a sitting down affair
super.gif

DSC02580.jpg

Man you guys rock
super.gif
. Thanks Travis and Omar for the coupon info. I wonder if you can sign up online or if you have to stop in the store?

(jjmetheny @ Jan. 07 2007,20:07)
(SO N SO @ Jan. 07 2007,20:42) I got 20% off 299.99
That is what I ended up with also, heck of a deal I thought.

The front clamp that comes with the hydraulic only model is worthless, throw it away. I made a front clamp that I used for awhile but I ended up just removing it and using my handy stands when I put the bike on the lift. I have heard that the clamp on the hydraulic/air one is better and from the looks of it on their website it looks pretty good.

The one I have, hydraulic only, crappy clamp, usually on sale for $299
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91764

Hydraulic/air, better clamp
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94121

Here is a pic with the bike on the lift. Makes changing oil a sitting down affair
super.gif

DSC02580.jpg
Thanks JJ, the hydraulic/ elec one is the one I'm looking at. Did you have a coupon for the 20% off or just negotiate it?

(GSXcite @ Jan. 07 2007,22:53) Man you guys rock
super.gif
. Thanks Travis and Omar for the coupon info. I wonder if you can sign up online or if you have to stop in the store?
Hal -

Yeah, goto their homepage: www.harborfreight.com and look 1/2 way down the right-hand side. There's an 'Extra Extra' button that you can click on to sign up for extra savings!

Back