Motorcycle dealer dies doing what he loved

Im sure he wouldnt want you to feel sorry for him at all. However he was an outstanding member of the local community. Did a lot of volunteering and funded a lot of charities for the kids. He will truely be missed.

No matter what he gave to the community it is a pretty selfish thing to go without a helmet or protective gear.

Nothing to celebrate here. He died because he made a stupid decision, it had nothing to do with doing what he loved. How many people are now suffering because he couldn't be bothered to wear a helmet. His family? His community?

I am with Tufbusa and Justyntym on this one.

The gear nazis on this site never cease to amaze me by blasting people's freedom of choice. Everyone here knows a helmet can make a huge difference but if he died from blunt force trauma, a helmet would not have made a difference. A newspaper story I read stated he came to rest under the two axled camper trailer being towed. Apparently the truck and trailer's brake lights and blinkers were working during the investigation. A bad decision involving passing a vehicle on a two lane road cost this great man his life.

Just like Laylas_Mom mentioned, what really needs to be mentioned and commented on is his huge generosity and giving back to charities and civic organizations. Anyone familiar with Bruce's philanthropy work will attest to him being a wonderful, giving man. Ask the people at the Boys & Girls Clubs he generously supported. Or the camps for high risk kids. Kyle Petty's Ride Across America. Joe DiMaggio's Childrens Hospital. The list could go on........

The gear nazis on this site never cease to amaze me by blasting people's freedom of choice. Everyone here knows a helmet can make a huge difference but if he died from blunt force trauma, a helmet would not have made a difference. A newspaper story I read stated he came to rest under the two axled camper trailer being towed. Apparently the truck and trailer's brake lights and blinkers were working during the investigation. A bad decision involving passing a vehicle on a two lane road cost this great man his life.

Well we don't know what cause of death was do we and I said, not only a helmet
"but IF he were wearing GEAR..."

What's important to note is that the poster child of Harley and freedom of
choice you so espouse died because of this "freedom" and this "great man"
may still be with us today had he just put on a padded jacket and helmet.

That's the sad irony of the whole thing...

Speaking rhetorically -
Don't want to wear gear...don't...darwin's theory at work.
(some people are incapable of getting it :banghead:)
The Gene Pool could use a little chlorine, just hope it happens
BEFORE breeding takes place.

the Freedom of choice when it comes to helmets is horses#$t
it affects ALL.

*regardless, he seems like a decent man. The good ones go to soon.

Last edited:
Dino chill out - Sounds like a good egg to me, could be his head itched, he did it his way, I wear mine, put 5000 miles on a Honda 70 & never owned a helmet. I dress for the crash , some dress fro the comfort. Free country,

sucks he went down but he made a poor discision not really much you can do maybe it was just me but he was kinda of an ass the last few times i've seen him and i have a hard time feeling sympathy for people who can just be bobos to random strangers

Well we don't know what cause of death was do we and I said, not only a helmet
"but IF he were wearing GEAR..."

What's important to note is that the poster child of Harley and freedom of
choice you so espouse died because of this "freedom" and this "great man"
may still be with us today had he just put on a padded jacket and helmet.

That's the sad irony of the whole thing...

Speaking rhetorically -
Don't want to wear gear...don't...darwin's theory at work.
(some people are incapable of getting it :banghead:)
The Gene Pool could use a little chlorine, just hope it happens
BEFORE breeding takes place.

the Freedom of choice when it comes to helmets is horses#$t
it affects ALL.

*regardless, he seems like a decent man. The good ones go to soon.

To quote myself....Everyone here knows a helmet can make a huge difference..... This doesn't need to turn into the ATGATT rhetoric. I personally believe in wearing gear but not everyone does and people are obviously responsible for their own decisions, regardless of the outcome. People live their whole life riding and never wear gear, some wear it and don't live. Luck of the draw, nothing to do with Darwin. The human body is fragile and sometimes wrong choices are made with tragic results. Also, as I stated earlier, I think the choice of passing at a given time was the bad choice, not neccessarily riding along with a group in the middle of Nowhereville, SD without a helmet.

And you are absolutely right, he was a decent man.

oh the irony...

ORMOND BEACH, Fla. -- Six police officers crashed their Harley Davidson motorcycles Tuesday during a funeral procession for the world's largest Harley Davidson dealer.

Bruce Rossmeyer lost his life in a motorcycle crash in Wyoming last week. Rossmeyer, 66, was buried in Ormond Beach in a private family ceremony Tuesday.

It was a fitting send off; a motorcycle led the way for the funeral procession for Bruce Rossmeyer. Behind him was a parade of bikes, paying tribute to the big man who was a huge part of making motorcycles big again in Daytona Beach.

"Knowing the legend of Bruce Rossmeyer, what he's given to this community, it was captured in everybody's words and feelings," family friend Linda Merrel said.

Hundreds attended the service, including dozens of law enforcement officers on motorcycles. But during a pre-service procession, six of the officers got into two chain-reaction wrecks.

"They were all traveling in a line. They had to brake and the line kind of accordioned and the bikes ran into each other," Kenny Hayes of the Ormond Beach Police Office said.

One Daytona Beach officer limped away from the scene and another had his hand heavily-bandaged. Officers from Ormond Beach, Port Orange and the Daytona Beach Fire Department were also involved.

Rossmeyer owned 15 Harley Davidson dealerships across the United States. He is also credited with raising millions of dollars for Central Florida charities, especially for children.

Cops Crash During Rossmeyer Funeral Procession - News Story - WFTV Orlando

Dino chill out - Sounds like a good egg to me, could be his head itched, he did it his way, I wear mine, put 5000 miles on a Honda 70 & never owned a helmet. I dress for the crash , some dress fro the comfort. Free country,

he sounds like a great guy. But he made a selfish decision that negatively affected his family friends and the community he served. Free country? No arguement but when you exercise your freedom to make poor decisions then you must accept the responsiblity of that decision. In this case the his family friends and community are suffering and it is his fault. To ignore that fact and not hold him accountable for the needless suffering he has caused is the real tragedy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
To quote myself....Everyone here knows a helmet can make a huge difference..... This doesn't need to turn into the ATGATT rhetoric. I personally believe in wearing gear but not everyone does and people are obviously responsible for their own decisions, regardless of the outcome. People live their whole life riding and never wear gear, some wear it and don't live. Luck of the draw, nothing to do with Darwin. The human body is fragile and sometimes wrong choices are made with tragic results. Also, as I stated earlier, I think the choice of passing at a given time was the bad choice, not neccessarily riding along with a group in the middle of Nowhereville, SD without a helmet.

And you are absolutely right, he was a decent man.

passing at the wrong time was a bad choice, not wearing gear was a selfish choice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Been riding too long to not be an ATGATT guy myself, but I'm not about to push my stance on others.

The question I have is: do we actually know if proper gear would have made a difference in this situation? Did I miss an official report that said he died as a result of a 0-mph fall and hit his head on a curb? Just sayin'...

Now, if this poor guy did die from head injuries that could have been easily prevented with a helmet, then "motorcycle dealer dies doing what he loved" is certainly small consolation to the loved ones he left behind... :dunno:

Back