MoTool Slacker

Still in the box, I guess it didn't warm up last year in VA:poke:

Lol (I hope it warms up this year)
As said, old school, I have been setting and adjusting sag for many years.
Then I saw the Slacker, and it looked cool.
Eventually it went on a big sale, and I couldn't pass it up.
That was also during cold weather, which I do ride in, and I do work on bikes indoors where it's warm, but it's not nesacerily motivating.
So, there it still sits, new in the box on a shelf, but, I will try it on the '18 gsxr1k soon, as it needs it's 2 year coolant flush and brake fluid flush, and it's going to need an oil change soon too.
I'll try it on my '03 gsxr1k as well, whenever I finish it.

So the project that led up to the above is me replacing my stock shock with a fresher unit. To start with, I bought a Gen 3 shock with very low miles, then ordered up a set of Racetech Spring Adapter Collars, and an Eibach Spring @ 16.1kg. The Gen 3 shock is slightly longer than the Gen 1, which combined with my Raising links might be too much, so I have the stock links still just in case! Also the Gen 3 has a 14.5 kg spring, which is still stiffer than the stock 13.1 kg. So if the Eibach is overkill I can swap it back to the stock Gen 3 spring as an option. The Eibach spring was only $76 so a cheap upgrade regardless! The Stock spring does not use any kind of adapters for the spring so I was pleasantly surprised when I installed the Racetech adapters as it provides a much more secure interface to the shock as the adjusters now bear on it instead of the spring!

First challenge was the spring compressor, I watched a few peoples videos on Youtube (most of which were disturbing at best!) so I made my own. LSS a little serendipity here, I was all prepared to cut a plate out of 1/8 steel to match the spring, but I just happen to have a whole stack of Car Brake rotors in my shop (that I am using as Poor mans weight lifting set!) anyway turns out that one of the Rotors off my kids Mazda 6 was the perfect size for this - et Voila! The rest of it was stuff I had around the shop, except for a few nuts I had to buy. The compressor worked like a charm and no safety concern whatsoever. The shock is together and ready for me to install it, I just don't want to tear the bike apart yet, so it might be a few weeks until I install it.
Since I had the back half of my bike apart anyway (waiting for Healtech to send me a new part!) I decided to swap the shock out that I built last fall. Cleaned everything up, regreased the linkage and boom bolted up with not much fuss. Friends coming over for Easter dinner, so had to cut it short. I left the Preload backed off, once I get it all together I will get it off the stand and bust out the slacker again and get my preload dialed in. Shoulda done this last fall, just haven't had the time. Next up will be Gold valves for the forks.
1711921832487.png

The Motool Slacker came today.
It's also in the 30's f° with rain an freezing rain here, lol.
I'll try it out on the '18 gsxr1000R(remote resivoir forks) in the next few weeks, time and weather dependent.
Then on my 03 gsxr1000, with old school inverted forks.
I'll check the sag with a measuring tape again first, with a friend helping, then take this thing riding and see where it's at.
The '18 gsxr stays on my Bursig stand, so the bike is up/down quick to make suspension changes.
I can ride out of my driveway and be on roads with bumps, curves, and almost no traffic. Then back on to my carport, and up on the stand if need be.
I should be able to get a good feel for the Slacker, by being able to ride past and present gen 1k's back to back, and after manual measurements.
(My 03 will be stock height at that point as well).
Zipties on the fork legs are always good ballpark references as well.
I also have one but packed away since we are moving just don’t know when yet.

Back